It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alexander Sees UFOs at the Siege of Tyre

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 03:40 AM
link   
May i congratulate you Borg on your perseverence in hunting out the real truth behind these stories. I imagine there are only a limited amount of legitmate stories from this period, and that as no one can cite chapter and line from any accounts, it is just another created myth to support a viewpoint.

Its a rare and refreshing thing to see in the alien forum.

Personally i wouldn't trust anything of this sort on an alien interest website without the sort of historical truth that borg is looking for.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 10:10 AM
link   
According to History Channel:
Alexander the great and his army, in 329 BC when crossing a river, saw gleeming shilds in the sky, flying low on the men and thereby skattering the frightened men.
7 years later in 322 BC when conquering tyre - oberservers on both sides of the conflict recorded flying shields in the sky, at one point shooting beams of light into one of the walls. The wall crumbles allowing Alexanders men to capture the old town of Tyre (inhabitants believed to be about 14000 people)

Cade

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cade
Alexander the great and his army, in 329 BC when crossing a river, saw gleeming shilds in the sky, flying low on the men and thereby skattering the frightened men.
7 years later in 322 BC when conquering tyre - oberservers on both sides of the conflict recorded flying shields in the sky, at one point shooting beams of light into one of the walls. The wall crumbles allowing Alexanders men to capture the old town of Tyre (inhabitants believed to be about 14000 people)

Cade

Um, the Siege of Tyre was actually in 332 BC, and that's exactly my point; where's the documents that support such an account. It bothers me that no one can find anything that can relate to it.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Actually, I remeber reading the one account about two flying silver shields that frightend his horses and men, and they ended upwaiting another day to see if it was an omen. It was in a legit book I had to read in school for history, and the incident was only a small sidenote that did not recieve any attention in the book.

It was recorded by one of his historians, Calliphes, Callthetis........something like that, spelled similar, but I forget his actual name. The historians works were mostly destroyed, but a few parts survived and were copied by other historians. The incident itself wasnot really noted as important.

It was 15 years ago when I read it. I wished I could remember the name.

Thanks for bringing it up, as it has sparked my desire to search for it. If I find it, ill let you know.

I dont remember reading about the red disks blasting the walls of Tyre, thats a totally new one to me.

The reason I remember this paticular part of the historical account of Alexander is because it was right before the book then discussed Alexander's male lovers, which of course, for 15 year olds, got more attention and discussion than anything else, and one snide kid said the shields were his supersized condoms.

Ill continue to look. I really wish I knew the name of the book.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Hmm... Cellephinnes(sp?) sounds familiar.. That name don't look right tho. I'll do some looking to see what else I can dig up. But thanks for the heads up. Anymore info, feel free to post.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I'm still looking, just so everyone knows. Any and all help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   
UFOs: The Hidden Truth is a video that has a small part that talks about Alexander the Great and Columbus having seen those pesky disks in the sky.

Here's another link I found...
www.lost-civilizations.net...

Anyone know about the cave drawings in South America of ufo's? That's pretty interesting as well.

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cade

Cade

So where the aliens actually helping one side or not?

Perhaps the aliens knew that interfering would somehow change the future?

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Guess I need to find a source at the History Channel, and see if they can get me in touch with the person or persons that provided said info, so that I can push to get the text that they used. Here's to wishin me luck.

TheBorg

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Im taking some classical studies courses on Greece and Alexander, and I never came across any such refference to a UFO type thing. Neither has my teacher, who mentions just about every and any oddity she can. But im not saying that there is nothing there...
This is all probably someone's "acount" of the battle, written centuries later with some added religious spice. "Oh the heavens opened the gates for Alexander with the help of angels!" or some ish like that.

[edit on 16-2-2006 by Unplugged]

[edit on 16-2-2006 by Unplugged]

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Under normal conditions, I could believe that. However, in this case, it was stated that BOTH sides said the same thing occurred. Now if I'm the one being attacked, I wouldn't say anything that would support the opposition. In this case, both sides said the same thing because they both saw the same thing.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 04:01 AM
link   
TheBorg,

I hope these links help.

www.virtuallystrange.net...
www.virtuallystrange.net...

It would be interesting to find out if there is an earlier source for these stories, if not they seem somewhat dubious.

[edit on 18-2-2006 by lost_shaman]

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I haven't yet found the documentary evidence for the "UFO" issues during Alexander the Great's battles. These are some interesting things that can be found in Josephus's writings (Jewish General who fought Rome around 66-70 AD, was present at destruction of Jerusalem and Temple, later captured, befriended by Vespasian and his sons, and wrote about the war and Jewish antiquities).

The Pamphylian Sea "retired" and afforded Alexander's army passage through it (similar to the parting of the Red Sea for Moses).
- Callisthenes, who accompanied Alexander during this expedition.
- Eustathius, in his Notes on the Third Iliad of Homer.
- Strabo, ("Geog. B." 14. p. 666).
- Arrian (Book 1, pg. 72-73).
-- also referred to by Titus Flavius Josephus, "Jewish Antiquities" (published about 94 AD). Book 2, Chapter 6, Section 5, FN 4 of Whiston's 1770's translation quotes the ancient sources -- can be found easily for free on the net.

Josephus described numerous "signs" seen before the destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple in 70 AD (from The Jewish War, Book 6, Ch. 5, Sect. 3) including:
... "Thus there was a star resembling a sword, which stood over the city, and a comet, that continued for a whole year..."
... "I suppose the acoount of it would seem to be a fable, were it not related by those that saw it, and were not the events that followed it so considerable a nature as to deserve such signals; for, before sunsetting, chariots and troops of soldiers in their armor were seen running about among the clouds, and surrounding of cities.

I've found a ton of ancient sources describing various military and religious heroes as being the son of this or that god, and describing miracles, chariots, signs, comets, stars, and other astronomical phenomenon in the sky (including the Bible, of course).

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Strange how such an old story got back up to the top without anyone posting in it

Anyways, TheBorg... did you manage to find some historic evidence? I must say that I admire you persistance and constant plea for people to find proper evidence of these claims. Too bad they were all looking at websites instead of going to the library.

In order to prove the "myth" here we cannot resort to copies of copies that are then put on the web. Neither information written later than the 1940s where the ufo craze begins.
If this is real then one must look to old authentic documents.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
You know, the ancient and todays Macedonian symbol was and it is the vergina or the sun.

Please follow the links. The first picture is an ancient macedonian thomb found in the ethnical teritory of ancient Macedonia, or todays Greece after 1913 with stealing Macedonian teritory.

VIDEO: www.youtube.com...

Do you see the sun on the wall?

Please take a look over the second picture

[IMG]http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/8514/ufojesuschristalienschr.th.jpg[/IM G]

VIDEO: www.youtube.com...

This you can find in monastery in Kosovo.
Kosovo is next to the borders of today Macedonia.

I don't believe that there is more than 10 hours driving between these 2 places.

What is doing the macedonian symbol to a "rocket" ????

top topics

<< 1   >>

join