It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you Win a Religious Argument?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Evenin',

As I see it (at the risk of sounding like a Wargames soundbite) the only way to win is not to play the game. How about a nice game of chess?

-Peace-
edit on 16-4-2014 by Eryiedes because: ETA

edit on 16-4-2014 by Eryiedes because: Typo

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   
You can't argue against the religious. Their beliefs are fact-free and based entirely on faith.

As we've seen in recent history if dinosaur fossils didn't destroy our creationist religions nothing will. They will rationalize everything that counters their beliefs as being deceit, lies, and tricks.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   
With the bible
yes four pages into a thread and I am replying to the opening post

and yes there are many versions of the bible....and several accurate translations

but if you use all of them, you will find that a truth in the bible, isn't one scripture distorted, adjusted or 'corrected' it is a series of scriptures that clearly agree with each other

One verse alone does not make a fact...as it can be interpreted anyway
Two....three...a hundred can

I'm not one to pick a fight, but to all the Trinitarians...how many times can you find in your bibles
"our father who art in heaven"
being said by Jesus
A spirit born man on earth

OOOPS

How about how many times can you find the verse when Jesus was baptized and a voice came out of the heavens and said
This is my son the of whom I have approved

How many personalities does your God have

oops...totally off topic
Or am I?

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Wrong thread
Oooops
X

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
"How do you Win a Religious Argument?"

You can't when the religious argument is based on ideas with no proof whatsoever.

I think the problem here is that people keep bringing up the old notion of "Science vs. Religion". This implies that there's some kind of battle going on and one side is trying to defeat the other. I'm sorry, but there was no battle to begin with. Science was used from the very beginning of Human Civilization to help us survive, way before "God" entered the scene and decided in his infinite wisdom to get us to start massacring each other over belief. If there was a battle of sorts, "Science" won a long time ago when Christian and other theological ideas were discovered to be wrong, i.e. Flat Earth, Geo-centrism etc. All they have left is to prove that their First Century ideas are still valid when they're not. I'm not a complete asshole and I'll acknowledge that some ideas may have a place in our modern societies but the vast majority don't.

The best thing that scientists and those who believe in the scientific method can do is to walk away. Religious folk want a confrontation so they can expel religious diatribe at you for various reasons. Science should just keep doing what it does, and keep educating the public on a regular basis. It'll take time but as people across the world get educated, religion will slowly die off anyway.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Religious debates aren't always about winning, sometimes it's just a part of searching.

When I was on the fence I never passed up a religious debate. I probably looked like an asshole at times too, but I need it less now that my views are more settled. If you don't try to convert me or judge me I'll leave you alone with your faith.

I have less patients for people who try to impose their religion on others by law. If your religion makes you see an abomination instead of a human I'll take you on. If you see women as inferior because it's the tradition of your holy book, I'll speak up for women. If you come to my house with your bible in your hand, and I don't know you, don't blame me for what you started.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Get out the religions book and read from it, most people are shut down pretty fast when you do that.

anything else is just useless.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   

bigcountry08
Get out the religions book and read from it, most people are shut down pretty fast when you do that.

anything else is just useless.

Dunno about that. An acquaintance of mine, who used to be pretty cool with me, got awfully huffy when I admitted I was an atheist. He refuses to talk to me now. I guess there's just no getting along with some people.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

what i was referring to was two people in the same religion who disagreed about something. Theirs no winning when it comes to different religions except when we reach the end of our life and then theirs no gloating for either party anyways lol.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Say, "it's not religion, it's science."

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
"How do you Win a Religious Argument?"

Simply, you don't.

And its not even an argument worth having.

Its unwinnable on both sides.

It's based on belief, faith and science, basically theories.

And no proof.

IMO, its just best to let people live with whatever belief gets them through the day.

Just my 2 cents
~Cheers~

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

Agree
This is how you stop a religious argument.

There is no such thing as "winning" an argument against someone who believes in something that may or may not exist. If they are willing to base life decisions on something that could be total BC then there is no way you could ever win an argument against them because in order to win, you would have to change their mind and in order to change their mind you have to change who they are fundamentally.

The answer being asked should be:

How does one get round the answer given by religious folk who cannot give a valid response: 'Because God works in mysterious ways' ? ? ?

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

Or, or or!

Punch them, very hard!

You could always just use your religion to get a deep understanding of how reality works and ask for assistance from you God, whoever it may be, to help you and your foe swap bodies and gain a greater understanding of how each others soul and side of the argument when spoken from the heart...

Yes that sounds much more Biblical. See everyone can chat #@?!.

Convert to: Not giving a #@?! That way there will be no arguing.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Arguing with the religious is like playing chess with a pigeon, you can be the best player in the world but the bird will still knock the pieces down, # on the board, and strut around triumphantly. Cognitive disonance is the largest problem the religious have when it comes to debating their faulty beliefs.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
anyone who wants to have a religious argument from a scientific stance is an idiot.

only 2 religions would be apropos and even then, no one would win anything.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcouncil=wisdom
Wrong thread
Oooops
X

Funny, it seemed kind of relevant.

originally posted by: V22tech
Arguing with the religious is like playing chess with a pigeon, you can be the best player in the world but the bird will still knock the pieces down, # on the board, and strut around triumphantly. Cognitive disonance is the largest problem the religious have when it comes to debating their faulty beliefs.

Wow - I think that really sums it up.
edit on 18amFri, 18 Apr 2014 01:09:18 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Marginalization is everywhere, even where one may think all is fair and even.

People thrive on putting each other down, both figuratively and literally.

Religion is dangerous, after one marginalizes, defeats or kills all they hate...

It goes to a different group.

Next?.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join