It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oculus - Perception is Reality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Where do I begin...

First, this is a MUST-SEE, 2 thumbs up film about facing your demons, both figuratively and literally. It's also a movie that truly demonstrates the truth in the saying "Perception is Reality".

I really won't even say much more on the film directly, as I DETEST telling the movie or having it told to people who have yet to see it.

However, the movie has MANY underlying themes, a few being psycho- emotional ones: facing childhood trauma, facing your "inner demons", longing for affection from an absent parent. Then it has its paranormal- physics type themes. Where most horror movies rely on blood,beasts, and gore, Oculus relies on your perception of reality.

Think about this for example: Have you ever stared into a mirror at yourself, only to wonder if it was YOU that you were looking at or a different version of you (maybe a YOU from an alternate reality)? What I'm saying is, lets say that you were staring, being extremely still, and all of a sudden, the mirror-You moves on his or her own??

Pretty Creepy!!

Well, anyway, this movie begs for group discussion.

Comments?

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by QueenofSpades

off topic but why is there a double of this? -curiousity

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   

QueenofSpades
Where do I begin...

First, this is a MUST-SEE, 2 thumbs up film about facing your demons, both figuratively and literally. It's also a movie that truly demonstrates the truth in the saying "Perception is Reality".

I really won't even say much more on the film directly, as I DETEST telling the movie or having it told to people who have yet to see it.

However, the movie has MANY underlying themes, a few being psycho- emotional ones: facing childhood trauma, facing your "inner demons", longing for affection from an absent parent. Then it has its paranormal- physics type themes. Where most horror movies rely on blood,beasts, and gore, Oculus relies on your perception of reality.

Think about this for example: Have you ever stared into a mirror at yourself, only to wonder if it was YOU that you were looking at or a different version of you (maybe a YOU from an alternate reality)? What I'm saying is, lets say that you were staring, being extremely still, and all of a sudden, the mirror-You moves on his or her own??

Pretty Creepy!!

Well, anyway, this movie begs for group discussion.

Comments?

The paragraph b4 pretty creepy is your analyzing the mirror side, which is pretty true. If you watch the Mirrors movies, that reality acutally exists. The real question is which side of the mirror is really forward and which is really backwards?

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by G0v0D47

Not sure. Wondering the same thing.

Mods please remove the duplicate thread

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by G0v0D47

We really are never sure that what we see is the reality.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   

QueenofSpades
reply to post by G0v0D47

We really are never sure that what we see is the reality.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   

I thought the movie sucked... like bad.

It just seemed like a generic horror flic rushed off the line seeing as the dialogue was much less than real and the plot was a complete frenzy of twists inside twist which not even the writer could explain.

The visuals were creepy but that was all. The movie was entirely predictable and less than intellectual. You made the movie seem much better than it was.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by backcase

I completely disagree.

Oculus did not satisfy lovers of surface-level horror; those who wanted to see lots of blood, gore, and 'jump-scenes'. Oculus dealt more with the pyschological terror- it messed with your mind.

It forced your mind to wonder about all the fears that could exist, rather than allow you to be 'lazy' and show them to you.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   

totally wrong. The only thing it did to mess with my mind is force my regret for buying that movie ticket.

I followed the movie completely and there were so many twists it stopped making sense. I understood inception the first time watching it, also shutter island, but this move was garbage.

A factory made horror movie. Constant jump scenes, no intelligence therein.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I actually enjoyed the movie, just the ending that then invalidated the whole thing. The entire audience had the same reaction...so wasn't just me. Quite frankly, the ending leaves the viewer feeling like their investment in the story had NO payoff, so I certainly understand the above poster's comments.

It was creepy, and did have some good jump scenes, so made a good date night movie for me and the wife. But yeah, the ending completely blows....so know that going in.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Yeah Oculus was not a good horror movie. How are you even supposed to know what to be scared of in that mvoie. You never know whats real and what's not. I walked out of the movie wondering is it night time or day time?

also the switching from childhood to adult with the brother and sister was off putting, I know why they did it. but I couldnt connect with the chracther's

The only scary moment was with the deranged cracked out mother.

Like honestly what was scary about this?

maybe I am just biased because I am not a fan of illusion scary movies

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
and one more thing the preview for Delivery us from evil was the best thing about seeing Oculus.

2 minutes of that movie was scarier then Oculus

new topics

top topics

join