It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reason Why We Hallucinate/See Things With a Lack of Sleep?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   
So, this may sound a bit goofy right off hand to some of you all, but it's a thought that I've been having, and one that science has not yet been able to get to the bottom to- besides theories.. Why is it that people hallucinate, or in general see things that they would not normally see- when they have not had sleep?

This is out there, (my overactive mind is just playing with the idea) but is it possible that when people lack sleep that they are actually able to see things that may truly be there, that they would not have noticed in a normal, rested state- for whatever reason this could be due to? Let's be honest people don't pay much attention to their surroundings (at least very much) these days, they are either busy with hectic day to day life, or they have their face glued to their phones or computers, both of these things take ones attention away from their surroundings, let alone viewing and noticing their surroundings to a large extent.. Is it possible that going without sleep allows the brain to 'relax more' (so to say) and enable the ability to see things that the mind is too 'busy' with it's ordinary rituals- to see?

Everyone has heard of people who are 'spiritual' or 'religious' who have religious/spiritual experiences, and many times these people even purposely go without sleep and stay in solitude- without any distractions (smart phones, laptops, stress of day to day life)- to 'open themselves up' to see these things..

Of course I'm not saying that there isn't a logical explanation behind why people may see things without sleep, in many cases.. For example, a person who hasn't slept for days, has done a drug, and sees two fairies doing it (lol) or something that is obviously 100% the mind playing tricks and causing hallucinations.. I'm just proposing the idea or possibility that either going without some sleep or just sitting in a room by yourself in a meditative state un-distracted, could cause you to see things that one would label a 'hallucination' that is in fact real in some way..

With all of the unexplainable/unknown forces that are around us, from a scientific perspective (for example different dimensions or unknown alternate universes that are theoretically only a thread away from us in space), or from a paranormal/spiritual perspective, could this not be plausible? What do you all think?

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I personally believe it's the body's way of reacting. I think it is similar to when a person sees something so completely out of the ordinary, the mind literally races to fill in the blanks. I've heard many folks who claim to have seen a ghost, or UFO, that was proven otherwise, yet their brain reels to define something that is not readily available. I'm sure we've all experienced this absolute horror.

While there is a chance that we are seeing another dimension/reality/world/etc., I tend to lean on the natural order of things. A good analogy is when your body shuts down due to an extreme incident (coma, unconsciousness, numbness, euphoria, etc.)

On the other hand, I also believe you can train your mind to do incredible things. Out of body experiences, while not necessarily proven, are something wonderful to experience.

At the end of the day, I would caution anyone to try to "tap into the other realm" by starving, exhausting, or depriving the mind in order to experience something different. If that were the case, I would suggest we all cut our wrists and see what kind of experiences we gain...except we couldn't tell anyone about it.

edit on 4-13-2014 by jrflipjr because: grammar

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   

TheIceQueen
So, this may sound a bit goofy right off hand to some of you all, but it's a thought that I've been having, and one that science has not yet been able to get to the bottom to- besides theories.. Why is it that people hallucinate, or in general see things that they would not normally see- when they have not had sleep?

This is out there, (my overactive mind is just playing with the idea) but is it possible that when people lack sleep that they are actually able to see things that may truly be there, that they would not have noticed in a normal, rested state- for whatever reason this could be due to? Let's be honest people don't pay much attention to their surroundings (at least very much) these days, they are either busy with hectic day to day life, or they have their face glued to their phones or computers, both of these things take ones attention away from their surroundings, let alone viewing and noticing their surroundings to a large extent.. Is it possible that going without sleep allows the brain to 'relax more' (so to say) and enable the ability to see things that the mind is too 'busy' with it's ordinary rituals- to see?

Everyone has heard of people who are 'spiritual' or 'religious' who have religious/spiritual experiences, and many times these people even purposely go without sleep and stay in solitude- without any distractions (smart phones, laptops, stress of day to day life)- to 'open themselves up' to see these things..

Of course I'm not saying that there isn't a logical explanation behind why people may see things without sleep, in many cases.. For example, a person who hasn't slept for days, has done a drug, and sees two fairies doing it (lol) or something that is obviously 100% the mind playing tricks and causing hallucinations.. I'm just proposing the idea or possibility that either going without some sleep or just sitting in a room by yourself in a meditative state un-distracted, could cause you to see things that one would label a 'hallucination' that is in fact real in some way..

With all of the unexplainable/unknown forces that are around us, from a scientific perspective (for example different dimensions or unknown alternate universes that are theoretically only a thread away from us in space), or from a paranormal/spiritual perspective, could this not be plausible? What do you all think?

30% of your brain is dedicated to vision processing. Then all the neurons work on an activator/inhibitor model where they won't fire until a particular combination of activator inputs and inhibitor inputs have fired. When neurons are tired, they'll just not fire at all. So things are going to all wobbly since some visual pathways deal with motion and position, while others handle object identification and orientation.

Then you'll start seeing zebedee bouncing around your living room carpet or squirrels running around the whiteboard of your office and if you are particularly lucky be able to hold a conversation with them.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TheIceQueen

First reason is becuase theres a fine line between daily waking consciousness and dreamtime. Like at the tip of death you are near the crossing of the veil, when your body is in tired mode, your mind crosses the rift between dimensions making it easier to see beyond the physical realm or whatever you wish to call it. Plus that is also a trait of fasting, no food and no sleep for a period of time induced all sorts of extracurricular brain activity that you otherwise are too distracted by the day to notice. Its like the difference between being use to only the 5 senses and being in a coma where only the sixth sense is used, your paradigm temp goes to alternate brain activity mode from excess fatigue.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   

G0v0D47

First reason is becuase theres a fine line between daily waking consciousness and dreamtime. Like at the tip of death you are near the crossing of the veil, when your body is in tired mode, your mind crosses the rift between dimensions making it easier to see beyond the physical realm or whatever you wish to call it. Plus that is also a trait of fasting, no food and no sleep for a period of time induced all sorts of extracurricular brain activity that you otherwise are too distracted by the day to notice. Its like the difference between being use to only the 5 senses and being in a coma where only the sixth sense is used, your paradigm temp goes to alternate brain activity mode from excess fatigue.

This is a very interesting way of looking at it, and I agree, and in part- this was what I was trying to say was an explanation/reason this can occur.. The question is, is this extracurricular brain activity that is being produced activity that is actual and authentic or is it just the product of your own imagination?

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Let's be honest people don't pay much attention to their surroundings (at least very much) these days, they are either busy with hectic day to day life, or they have their face glued to their phones or computers, both of these things take ones attention away from their surroundings, let alone viewing and noticing their surroundings to a large extent.. Is it possible that going without sleep allows the brain to 'relax more' (so to say) and enable the ability to see things that the mind is too 'busy' with it's ordinary rituals- to see?

You have answered in a way already yourself the phenomena. I have only done the 4 day cannot sleep thing once and I came to a state where I was awake seeing the normal surrounding at the same time as the mind became extremely sharp making connections about things I have not understood before going from one understanding to another in record time. It ended in one single thought and a internal speakers sound (sound heard in the head not thru the ears).

The whole experience was life changing.

The conscious mind that have been conditioned have a hard time letting the unconscious mind tell the conscious mind that is wrong and that it should let go sometimes and listen within. Ego projections do not help either when dealing with information that is received by the third eye.
edit on 13-4-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   

My theory: natural Dee Em Tee buildup. *see below

This could play a role in the deaths associated with long term sleep deprivation (about 11 days without sleep and humans die.) But before they die they certainly begin to go mad.

I wonder if a gigantic dose of '___' is delivered upon finally falling asleep (pun intended) and the critically weakened regulatory/immune systems of the body are simply overwhelmed. The increasing hallucinations would be symptomatic of the buildup of unspent '___'.

***I want to emphasize that my post is not about drugs... It is a theory I have which answers the OPs question.***

edit on 13-4-2014 by Aqualung2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   

LittleByLittle

Let's be honest people don't pay much attention to their surroundings (at least very much) these days, they are either busy with hectic day to day life, or they have their face glued to their phones or computers, both of these things take ones attention away from their surroundings, let alone viewing and noticing their surroundings to a large extent.. Is it possible that going without sleep allows the brain to 'relax more' (so to say) and enable the ability to see things that the mind is too 'busy' with it's ordinary rituals- to see?

You have answered in a way already yourself the phenomena. I have only done the 4 day cannot sleep thing once and I came to a state where I was awake seeing the normal surrounding at the same time as the mind became extremely sharp making connections about things I have not understood before going from one understanding to another in record time. It ended in one single thought and a internal speakers sound (sound heard in the head not thru the ears).

The conscious mind that have been conditioned have a hard time letting the unconscious mind tell the conscious mind that is wrong and that it should let go sometimes and listen within. Ego projections do not help either when dealing with information that is received by the third eye.

Another great way of putting it. However, I'm talking about seeing things that you normally wouldn't- in a different way perhaps that seems surreal, or 'hallucinations'.. Even though what you're saying is equally interesting to me as well, how this may also have an effect in your own mind and not just what you see, causing you to have epiphanies of sorts..

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   

TheIceQueen

LittleByLittle

Another great way of putting it. However, I'm talking about seeing things that you normally wouldn't- in a different way perhaps that seems surreal, or 'hallucinations'.. Even though what you're saying is equally interesting to me as well, how this may also have an effect in your own mind and not just what you see, causing you to have epiphanies of sorts..

I should also add that the body automatically started to do yoga by itself for back pain that I had. The unconscious and body seem to know what it needs if the conscious mind can let go of control.

The only visual things I have are strange light patterns when closing my eyes some time and some chakra coloring so I cannot comment on visual changes. I have tried the Aura thing but it does not seem to work for me.

I have played around with chi so I know how that feels in the body but I would not call that hallucination. Maybe some people call it that. Are the 11:11 phenomena a hallucination by your way of defining hallucination?
edit on 13-4-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Double post.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   

TheIceQueen

G0v0D47

This is a very interesting way of looking at it, and I agree, and in part- this was what I was trying to say was an explanation/reason this can occur.. The question is, is this extracurricular brain activity that is being produced activity that is actual and authentic or is it just the product of your own imagination?

You could say the same thing for daily life via the matrix which is just coding bred through the 5 senses and simulated to be realistic. Imagination is what gives all things life including spirit, mind, atoms etc without the imaginative mind and its neuralogical processes, nothing really exists at all cus without the mind, there is no perception for any of it to exist.
However to answer your question, I would base it on what you experience alone, this "analytical politics" is what gave rise to the criminal business known as psychiatry. Person perception determines personal reality, therefore if you believe its real it becomes real, if you believe its a figment, it becomes nothing more than a memory of odd experience. Its like believing in the astral, if you never experience the landscape, you wouldnt believe in it resulting in the the paradigm would only believe in the physical world.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   

TheIceQueen

LittleByLittle

If you actually do enough sleep deprivation, your mind will autoflux the matrix coding and become wave patterns of energy. Think of Inception and now Divergent, same thing one dream after another. Keep in mind: As crazy as it may sound, daily life is a dream of sorts as well, like a living camera in which you experience a 3D atomic landscape, all you experience is done by the mind alone and what you perceive as Real.
Interesting querry is to know what you may possibly see that sparks your interest to start with....

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   

G0v0D47

TheIceQueen

LittleByLittle

If you actually do enough sleep deprivation, your mind will autoflux the matrix coding and become wave patterns of energy. Think of Inception and now Divergent, same thing one dream after another. Keep in mind: As crazy as it may sound, daily life is a dream of sorts as well, like a living camera in which you experience a 3D atomic landscape, all you experience is done by the mind alone and what you perceive as Real.
Interesting querry is to know what you may possibly see that sparks your interest to start with....

Thanks for your responses they are very interesting, I'm not sure what you mean though.. I don't believe in what I think that you're talking about- that everything we see isn't real and that we don't truly exist, that it's all a dream, etc..

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Our minds are constantly filtering things out of our vision. If it didn't we would be overwhelmed and spaced out. We learn to eat foods that help us filter, it is an instinct. All animals have this ability, but to a deer, seeing and hearing threats is important so they learn not to filter that kind of stuff.

With my TLE. I can lose my filtering ability when I am tired sometimes. The world is not what we see. I was looking at the moon one night and seeing three overlapping moons. I researched this and found that our eyes actually see the moon like this but it puts the moon together and makes it like a clear single image. The different refractions of the atmosphere make multiple moons....which we correct. A child would see it as two or more overlapping moons because they are not used to it yet.

I also found, from experience, that we can see the sun hitting pollen and the flowers glowing. I thought it was a halucination because of the epilepsy but found it was problems with my filters in the mind coupled with extra energy flowing through the mind. I actually found a research article on something similar. It explained that we would be distracted so we filter this stuff out. Colors glow in the real world, a baby looking at colorful things with big eyes sees much more than we do. That is until they learn to filter it out. If you inappropriately filter things, I am sure that that is called a disease of some sort. Some times we hear sounds that are not there, but are they actually there, we actually filter a lot of sounds normal in the everyday world out also. When you first start at a factory it is really loud and you can't hear anybody. Within a few weeks, you can hear people talking in that setting easily, you filter out the background machinery noise.

Applying what I have learned to experiences I have had in the world makes it so easy to apply this knowledge to many things. If I was young, I would not have the experience to compare it to.

S&F, good thread. I like to tell others about what I have learned.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Takes a long time and a few pills to swallow when jumping down the rabbit hole. If it was all in one gulp, people would choke and spit it out. Think the Matrix, then Inception, then Divergent. At the end of the ride through the coding situations, stay with the solid dream state. Things are always a matter of time. I aint gonna badger it lol it literally takes time, willpower, and acknowledgement to go all the way through. The main idea of focus is What do you really wanna know and far are you willing to "fall" in order to understand it. Its alot like the "venom of god", when bitten by the serpent, you go through phases of what is real vs what has been programmed since birth. You eventually realize you are the ghost in the machine, not the machine itself. If you were the machine, you would not be able to travel to other dimensions and experience different realities. All consciousness of varied levels experienced by neurons.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   

rickymouse
Our minds are constantly filtering things out of our vision. If it didn't we would be overwhelmed and spaced out. We learn to eat foods that help us filter, it is an instinct. All animals have this ability, but to a deer, seeing and hearing threats is important so they learn not to filter that kind of stuff.

With my TLE. I can lose my filtering ability when I am tired sometimes. The world is not what we see. I was looking at the moon one night and seeing three overlapping moons. I researched this and found that our eyes actually see the moon like this but it puts the moon together and makes it like a clear single image. The different refractions of the atmosphere make multiple moons....which we correct. A child would see it as two or more overlapping moons because they are not used to it yet.

I also found, from experience, that we can see the sun hitting pollen and the flowers glowing. I thought it was a halucination because of the epilepsy but found it was problems with my filters in the mind coupled with extra energy flowing through the mind. I actually found a research article on something similar. It explained that we would be distracted so we filter this stuff out. Colors glow in the real world, a baby looking at colorful things with big eyes sees much more than we do. That is until they learn to filter it out. If you inappropriately filter things, I am sure that that is called a disease of some sort. Some times we hear sounds that are not there, but are they actually there, we actually filter a lot of sounds normal in the everyday world out also. When you first start at a factory it is really loud and you can't hear anybody. Within a few weeks, you can hear people talking in that setting easily, you filter out the background machinery noise.

Applying what I have learned to experiences I have had in the world makes it so easy to apply this knowledge to many things. If I was young, I would not have the experience to compare it to.

S&F, good thread. I like to tell others about what I have learned.

Diff view but correct. Just remember, the coding that flows through mind is what gives all that stuff its color and form along with the fractal light texturing you see through the patterns that distinguish it. Its complex, but then was is a reality without its complexities. Also the child thing brings up the best point: When we are children our sixth sense is like a backdoor beacon to the spirit world. Our adolescing process filters all of it out and we through our manmade programming come to be "informed" all we see and hear as a kid was "a product of our imagination" which is utter bull#. However whatever you may or may not see is realistic to the point of if you believe it is or not. Technically we are energy floating in a space of magnetic fields boxed in at atomic vessel to experience this world. Smh if parents would learn to not make children grow up believing all they experience outside the physical instead imaginary, these generations would be much more intuned with the world around them and possibly experience natural phenomena such as telepathy and neuron signal integration(feeling nature magnetic fields).

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by G0v0D47

Smh if parents would learn to not make children grow up believing all they experience outside the physical instead imaginary, these generations would be much more intuned with the world around them and possibly experience natural phenomena such as telepathy and neuron signal integration(feeling nature magnetic fields).

neuron signal integration(feeling nature magnetic fields).

Is this the same as chi flow in your opinion or is this something else?

telepathy

Are you meaning in the ability to create synchronicity that might be non noticed by the receiver or are we talking about full fledged conscious speaking in the mind of another that is heard in the internal speakers bypassing the ears?

I do agree with you that we are conditioned to not use third eye abilities.
edit on 14-4-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I have a simple theory.
Our brain saves everything. Even the things we don't need. In deep sleep, the non-pertinent information is "dumped"
With no sleep and no dumping, you're brain begins to overload with images, sounds and feelings you have encountered while awake. As you bring new memory into your brain, it has to "dump" while you are awake, and you are essentially dreaming while awake.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

LittleByLittle
reply to post by G0v0D47

Smh if parents would learn to not make children grow up believing all they experience outside the physical instead imaginary, these generations would be much more intuned with the world around them and possibly experience natural phenomena such as telepathy and neuron signal integration(feeling nature magnetic fields).

neuron signal integration(feeling nature magnetic fields).

Is this the same as chi flow in your opinion or is this something else?

telepathy

Are you meaning in the ability to create synchronicity that might be non noticed by the receiver or are we talking about full fledged conscious speaking in the mind of another that is heard in the internal speakers bypassing the ears?

I do agree with you that we are conditioned to not use third eye abilities.
edit on 14-4-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

That would be putting it according to multiteired physics yes. Ka,Chi,Ki, Sixth Sense, all the same thing

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by G0v0D47

New dumb ? from me.....how does one start a new thread here?

<<   2 >>

join