It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help on identifying a Satilite..

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I understand and respect that.
My curiosity is piqued however because I have never heard of such. I will dig just to see what I can find out of curiosity.
Thanks

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Go dig in the aviation forum. There is some information there that leads in the right direction.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by minkmouse

I'd agree! The lights are working, but when the 'headlights' are pointed right at you or are somehow blocking the other lights you can't see the blink. Especially in particularly dry weather.

Given that he said he saw this at midnight I just don't think it's a satellite. I usually stop seeing them about two or three hours after sunset.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Soloprotocol

I have a pic of it but i havn't got a clue how to add pics here...tried...hopeless. dont know why ATS makes it so damn awkward.

edit on 13-4-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

Please upload it to imgur.com... (top right under upload images and then from computer) and post the link here.
That should do the trick

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   

aLLeKs

Soloprotocol

I have a pic of it but i havn't got a clue how to add pics here...tried...hopeless. dont know why ATS makes it so damn awkward.

Please upload it to imgur.com... (top right under upload images and then from computer) and post the link here.
That should do the trick

photobucket links

next to nearly full moon for size comparison.

on it's own

edit on 14-4-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

yeah....it worked..thanks man.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Soloprotocol

If you are logged in click the icon next to logout (looks like a clock face)on the main menu bar another menu bar will show with an option to upload, you say you have a picture can you give details of camera & exposure?

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Soloprotocol

Is that the Moon in the first picture top right?

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   

wmd_2008

Soloprotocol

If you are logged in click the icon next to logout (looks like a clock face)on the main menu bar another menu bar will show with an option to upload, you say you have a picture can you give details of camera & exposure?

Mobile phone..

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   

wmd_2008

yes. the sat is arrowed

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Soloprotocol

wmd_2008

yes. the sat is arrowed

Don't think it's a satellite then! any exposure details?

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 02:39 AM
link   

links234
reply to post by minkmouse

I'd agree! The lights are working, but when the 'headlights' are pointed right at you or are somehow blocking the other lights you can't see the blink. Especially in particularly dry weather.

I had a good example of that just a couple of nights ago. I was on the coast in north Devon and went outside to see the ISS passing over at about 9pm (it wasn't totally dark by then but it was still a nice bright pass).

Just after I'd watched that, I saw a bright light off to the north, apparently almost stationary. Through the telescope it appeared to be two bright reddish-white lights aligned horizontally.

I checked FlightRadar and it turned out to be a passenger prop plane about 50 miles away, going from Dublin to Exeter on a path that would take it directly overhead. But no flashing lights were visible at all, just the headlights.

Not really a similar sighting to the OP I know, but a good example of how aircraft lights can be tricky.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Never been fooled by a plane in years. watched Satellites for the past 25, even to the point of timing them over the period of a few months. Iridium flare in the big dipper from July to Sept last year.. flared at roughly the same spot, same time.. 22:24 give or take a few minutes.

Appeared Satellite in nature to me. if it was a plane then surely the light would have dimmed as it flew above and past my view point...it never did, stayed as bright as ever until i lost interest in it.

Anyway...whatever it was it's away now. looked for it last night as it was a clear night here, but i may have been a few minutes late or early.
I'll make a point of checking tonight if it's clear enough.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:38 AM
link   

I've seen what I thought were satellites but been unable to find them on Heavens Above too. I wonder whether its minimum brightness cut-off is totally accurate.

Edit, sorry I missed the pics earlier. If it shows up on a mobile phone pic then it is pretty bright! Looks like ISS-level brightness so unless it's a plane I am stumped.
edit on 14-4-2014 by Rob48 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Soloprotocol
Never been fooled by a plane in years. watched Satellites for the past 25, even to the point of timing them over the period of a few months. Iridium flare in the big dipper from July to Sept last year.. flared at roughly the same spot, same time.. 22:24 give or take a few minutes.

Appeared Satellite in nature to me. if it was a plane then surely the light would have dimmed as it flew above and past my view point...it never did, stayed as bright as ever until i lost interest in it.

Anyway...whatever it was it's away now. looked for it last night as it was a clear night here, but i may have been a few minutes late or early.
I'll make a point of checking tonight if it's clear enough.

Well look at the size of the Moon in your picture a satellite would be a dot a fraction of that size so what are the exposure details they would be in the exif data, also did you get the pm I sent you.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Rob48

I've seen what I thought were satellites but been unable to find them on Heavens Above too. I wonder whether its minimum brightness cut-off is totally accurate.

Edit, sorry I missed the pics earlier. If it shows up on a mobile phone pic then it is pretty bright! Looks like ISS-level brightness so unless it's a plane I am stumped.

I would need a clear unobstructed view of the south to see the ISS from Glasgow as the ISS only about 15 degrees on the horizon..someone can correct me if i'm wrong here, what i saw went overhead from a south west to north easterly direction.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Soloprotocol

Rob48

I would need a clear unobstructed view of the south to see the ISS from Glasgow as the ISS only about 15 degrees on the horizon..someone can correct me if i'm wrong here, what i saw went overhead from a south west to north easterly direction.

That varies can be higher.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   

wmd_2008

Soloprotocol

Rob48

but in what direction would it be travelling...east/west..west/east?

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Soloprotocol

wmd_2008

Soloprotocol

Rob48

Will pass between Jupiter and Betelgeuse tonight looking from the Glasgow area from west/east around 9:53 pm did you read my personal message to you, also any exposure details for your phone pic also phone type.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

wmd_2008

Soloprotocol

wmd_2008

Soloprotocol

Rob48

Will pass between Jupiter and Betelgeuse tonight looking from the Glasgow area from west/east around 9:53 pm did you read my personal message to you, also any exposure details for your phone pic also phone type.

got message, read it wrong, thought you were a Mod on my case..lol Anyway...dont have a clue as to exposure levels, used a Aye Phone...that's a Scottish version of the Iphone..lol

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Soloprotocol
Location of sighting...Glasgow

Time..Around Midnight GMT

Date 10-04-2014
direction of travel..came from south west and was heading north east..actually crossed by the Moon.

Hey, I saw exactly the same thing in south Africa, about a week ago, travelling in the same direction I thought it was very strange because of the brightness and I never saw one fly in that direction, before.

Sure enough when I opened my starry night program and downloaded the updates, It was not there. So I'm also wondering what it was!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join