It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Those Darn Fort Mifflin Spooks Ate My Batteries!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
It was a nice day today. Sunny and yet not too hot. Slight breeze. So we decided to visit Fort Mifflin in Philadelphia. Fort Mifflin is located next to the Delaware River and at the end of one of the Philadelphia airport runways. It is a pre-Revolutionary war fort with a long history. It was still in active use until 1950. Now it's an historical tourist site. The fort is small and only takes about two hours to stroll through. It's a nice on the river place to bring the kids and take a picnic lunch. (if you don't mind the ghost stories that is)

Fort Mifflin Information

Fort Mifflin, originally called Fort Island Battery and also known as Mud Island Fort, was commissioned in 1771 and sits on Mud Island (or Deep Water Island) on the Delaware River below Philadelphia, Pennsylvania near Philadelphia International Airport. During the American Revolutionary War, the British Army bombarded and captured the fort as part of their conquest of Philadelphia in autumn 1777. The United States Army began to rebuild the fort in 1794 and continued to garrison and build on the site through the 19th century. It housed prisoners during the American Civil War. The army decommissioned Fort Mifflin in 1962 and returned it to the City of Philadelphia. Historic preservationists have restored the fort.

There are ghost stories associated with the fort. Not as many as the notoriously haunted Eastern State Penitentiary , but still there are a few. One person was executed at the fort - a soldier who deserted during the Civil War. His name - William H. Howe. It is said he haunts the fort. I didn't see or feel anything. However, when I came upon the building that was 'solitary' (the prison) for people, my batteries all instantly died. So I have no EVPs and my pictures stopped at that point. I 'invited' anyone who was there to get their picture taken ... then 'poof' ... no batteries. (same thing happened when I 'invited' anyone who was at Devils Den in Gettysburg). So the Mifflin spooks ate my EVP/Camera batteries. Anyways - enjoy the pictures that I did take -

More coming ...

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

The wall and the Delaware River.

YIKES .. talk about waking with a bad back in the morning ..

Some of the many wetland critters living in the moat.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

One of these days you just might bring home an unwanted hitchhiker!

I do enjoy reading about your ghost adventures though!

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   

seeker1963

I don't think there is room for any more spooks in this house. The activity level is pretty impressive. Not 'evil' impressive. But active. Multiple spooks ....

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   

FlyersFan

seeker1963

I don't think there is room for any more spooks in this house. The activity level is pretty impressive. Not 'evil' impressive. But active. Multiple spooks ....

I wished I lived closer to you! I am sensitive to spirits. Those whom are actually spirits and those whom are entities of other origins.

At this point in my life though, I must admit, it would be like someone afraid of water sticking their foot into a pool!

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Awesome Pics! Thanks. I live in a part of the country without such things so it is cool to see.

Love those brick and earthworks. Think of the labor that went into those...

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Great pics! What kind of ghostly activity do you have at home??

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   

The same thing happened to me when I visited a few years ago. At the time, I blamed it on the cheap dollar store batteries I was using. Lucky for me, I had plenty of them but had to change batteries constantly in my camera every couple of pics.

I even wrote a thread about it at the time where I mentioned the battery problem. It never even crossed my mind that the ghosts might have been draining the batteries.

I wonder how many other people who've visited there have had similar power problems?

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Night Star
What kind of ghostly activity do you have at home??

Just the usual ...

- 'someone' walking through a room ... the floor creaking and footsteps ... someone going up and down the stairs and leaning on the banister. 'someone' coming home through the front door at 2:30 am a lot of the time - you can hear him go into the coat closet at the foot of the stairs and then come up the stairs and go into the bedrooms like he's checking on people in each of the rooms. I'm wondering if this is residual and that the ghost used to work second shift or something.

- 'someone' in the kitchen opening and closing the cupboards and drawers. You can hear them going through the kitchen and when you walk in .. no one is there.

- 'someone' playing with the dogs squeeky toys in the living room ... even when everyone (including the dog) is upstairs.

- 'someone' playing with my daughters toys in the middle of the night when everyone is asleep. One time I had suitcases packed in my bedroom and some toys on the suitcases for a family trip. 'someone' started playing with the viewmaster ... clicking it ... I looked over and no one was there.

- 'someone' playing with the necklaces on my dresser ... and my hairbrush .. and my jewelry box. You can hear 'someone' fiddling with it and moving things. The jewelry clinking .. the brush knocking on the dresser ...

- One time one of the spooks went into the dining room and picked up the vitamin bottle that is sitting there (kids chewable which I left at my daughters spot at the table) and the vitamins were shaken and shaken. You could hear it like someone was playing with the vitamin bottle.

- Phantom cigarette and food smells. But I'm not sure if this is the spooks or if it's my sjogrens. Sjogrens gives phantom smells, especially when neurological issues are involved. And I absolutely have neurological issues.

- I've had a person walk up to me while I was out raking the leaves ... he made the comment that someone was watching me rake but wasn't it a shame that the person didn't help. He had seen someone watching me out the window .. but no one was home except me.

- Shadows moving like someone walks in front of the lights but when you look, no one is there.

- One spook likes to play with the books in the bookcase. For some reason he'll ruffle the pages in the books. Like when someone runs their fingers across the pages and it makes a 'ziiiiiiip' sound.

- and of course we get the typical 'sounds like a TV or radio is on in the other room' but nothing is on. LIke a distant conversation or distant radio with the sound coming from the next room ... but nothing is there.

That kind of stuff ...

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Fascinating! Though I would imagine it's cool to have friendly ghosts in the house, I think I would be more concerned with them passing over and going on the where they belong, rather than being trapped here. Have you ever tried to help them cross?

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Night Star
Have you ever tried to help them cross?

We've had the house blessed. We smudged. The smudging quieted them down for a while. But they are still here. The activity goes in spurts. We just co-exist now. If they started doing anything super spooky .. we'd call in the big guns ....

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 04:23 AM
link   

- Shadows moving like someone walks in front of the lights but when you look, no one is there. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

absorb your concentration and gaze in a pitch black room alone, and you will see there are forms moving all around.

top topics

join