Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Russell brand new youtube series 'the trews' - Absolutely destroys the medium of newspapers

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Rikku
the only reason anyone knows who russel brand is,
is trashy tabloid newspapers.

theres a fine line between intelligent and irritating.

actually I know who he is through his stand up comedy. But now I think he speaks far more sense than most people and the message he is giving is a good one.

And your right about that fine line...You're on the irritating side
edit on 1017Monday172014-04-14T03:17:10-05:001710 4 by Silicis n Volvo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 06:09 AM
link   

ZeuZZ

Taggart
But Bill Hicks took drugs too. His (Hicks) message is surely as worthless as Brands and Carlins if you believe the guy above.

Let's also Ignore the greatest minds who experimented with drugs and see who we are left with.
In this list I'll start with Freud and Isaac newton.

Brand has been sober for at least 8 years now.

I've actually created a list that is over 50 people long about people we see as heroes who are users of psychedelics, and you would be amazed at some of them. But every time I start that thread it gets deleted and I get warning I might get banned. The fact that this forum seems to support a dated political ideology rather than the scientific reality makes me very uneasy about posting stuff here half the time, as it's usually a watered down version, and I tend to take most of time elsewhere to other forums that have actually worked out how these things work and allow posts about these things.

I'm not having a go at the community, as I generally love ATS, but I hope that if enough users start getting annoyed at their rules about this then something will eventually be changed to allow more productive discourse about these subjects to ensue.

I probably wouldn't be amazed as it's an area of interest to me too.
I wish others would look in to it, as you know some massive breakthroughs and literary works and even
Art itself has been created after such experimenting.
Anyone who won't listen to anyone who has taken drugs may as well
Stay away from the Internet, books, art museums, radios etc etc

Enjoyed your post, Interesting point on the ats ToS

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 06:34 AM
link   
It may be interesting but "Absolutely destroys the medium of newspapers".. please don't be stupid.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   

ziplock9000
It may be interesting but "Absolutely destroys the medium of newspapers".. please don't be stupid.

Pointless comment unless you explain why it does not.

Have a good day.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I like to look at the newspapers and see how the linguistics are used. If I was really rich and funny and had nothing to do, I'd probably make a few YouTube videos. I don't know what the big deal is. He's not working for some sinister cabal or government agency. Just a bloke with a lot of money and time, who wants to make a point the best way he knows how. I really can't see the problem.

Some people like a loud obnoxious Texan shouting fear down a megaphone. Some people like a British comedian picking through the papers.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Nice!!

I don't think Russell Brand is working for anybody but himself. He's too Much in love with himself and looking for adoration, which leads me to believe he has decided to jump on the bandwagon of talking out against the system. Also, the way he was treated by the MSM over the Andrew Sachs incident, has undoubtedly affected his views regarding the MSM.

I have warmed to Russell over the years and he has raised some valid points regarding the brainwashing of the masses by the MSM.

Whatever your view on him, more and more people are beginning to wake up and see the manipulation of events and if he is able to awaken a few more, I say good for him.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

DistantThunder
My wife and I have been watching Russell since the first few episodes.

It's not for everyone, but it is a good primer for the uninitiated to think more critically and decipher the nonsense around them.

You are either on the same wavelength, and "get it" or will find it annoying.

I've had worse professors, let me say that.

The MSNBC spot is good place to pick up his vibe...

My favorite video of his ever! What the news anchors did was presume he was some type of of egocentric comedian not to be taken seriously, so they mock him for the first three mins, and then he completely turns the table on them by bringing up some very important issues, and (literally) taking over the news-show by showing them all how they should be doing their job.

"is this what you all do for a living?! Let me help you"

I've not laughed so much in years after I watched that

I started a thread on this video here, which got hundreds of likes.
edit on 14-4-2014 by ZeuZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Russell Brand (red label) is another one of these system-sponsored shills
there's a few topics floating around these parts where myself & others have posted relevant info

at least be suspicious of him for the next few years (for your own sake)
until he walks the walk (because they can all manage to talk the talk)
it wasn't so long ago he was still ridiculing tinfoil hat wearers, christians & other 'decent' folks
and now suddenly he's one of us and welcomed with open arms?

he's a much better "actor" than we ever gave him credit for

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Seems like an unimpressive waste of time....
edit on 14-4-2014 by 3u40r15m because: eh..

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Reminds me of this song.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

VoidHawk

Not Authorized
reply to post by VoidHawk

Would you apply that logic to George Carlin? He made people laugh, including me, growing up. Yet, you could argue today that he is a modern day prophet.

Did he get people onto the streets and telling their government they're not happy? or did he have them all sat on their sofa's laughing?

I think we all know the answer!

So the only way to properly inform people of things is to get them foaming at the mouth in rage? Comedy isn't a viable method of information? Man and here I am thinking that satire and sarcasm are great tools to out the ridiculousness of certain hypocrisies...

Quick question for you, when you watch videos talking in serious and angry tones telling us about the misconceptions, lies, and half-truths being told to us, do you immediately run to the streets and start protesting or do you continue to sit in your chair watching your computer screen (maybe hop over to ATS and angrily rant about it)? Yea, that's what I thought.
edit on 14-4-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Krazysh0t
Quick question for you, when you watch videos talking in serious and angry tones telling us about the misconceptions, lies, and half-truths being told to us, do you immediately run to the streets and start protesting or do you continue to sit in your chair watching your computer screen (maybe hop over to ATS and angrily rant about it)? Yea, that's what I thought.

In that case you thought wrong!

Look at the choices
We've got Alex Jones etc, who rant in "angry tones"
We've got a whole army of comedians who teach us to just sit back and laugh.

In both cases they dissarm the listener! Job done.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   
His most recent one. All i have to say is this guy is brilliant.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I like Russel Brand as whatever people say about him doesn't seem to affect him. Whether it's right-wing journalists, conspiracy theorists who think he wants to 'belong' with them, or people who believe ingesting drugs and alcohol renders your opinion obsolete. His videos are no more opinion than the replies given in this thread, but are much more interesting because you can see he puts thought and compassion into what he says.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Brand’s excoriation of the political class felt to many like a breath of fresh air. But while Brand’s humor-infused brew of Marxism, anarchism and New Age spirituality may seem like the mere rantings of a rebellious entertainer who frequently refers to himself as a “Jungian Trickster,” I would argue he represents a more dangerous omen.

The Occupy Wall Street “movement” (if there ever was such a thing) – and emerging generations of young Americans more generally – is being led by Brand and other pied pipers away from practical reality and into an illusory “world of pure imagination”.

As Timothy Leary succeeded in getting a certain number of anti-war protestors to “turn on, tune in and drop out,” OWS leadership turned righteous indignation into irrationalism. Occupy started with tremendous political potential and became something of a middle-class laughing stock for its stated demand of “no demands.” What was expected to produce political reform became instead an unwashed, “leaderless” mob camping in the park, marching across bridges to nowhere, and claiming to have “changed the conversation,” a change which was sadly short-lived.

With a growth in the popularity of psychedelic drugs like ayahuasca, we should underscore their historical importance as tools of mass cultural control. The psychedelics that played a central role in cementing the hippies and other subcultures of the late 1960s were provided en masse by the CIA, as detailed in books like Acid Dreams. The agents behind their popularization turned out in most cases to be agents of British and American intelligence like Aldous Huxley, Timothy Leary, Ken Kesey, the Grateful Dead—the latter of the two (Kesey and the Dead’s Robert Hunter), along with others like “Unabomber” Ted Kaczynski, having been participants in the CIA’s clandestine MKUltra program. Psychedelic mushrooms were popularized by R. Gordon Wasson, a vice president of public relations for JPMorgan bank, one-time chair of the elite Council on Foreign Relations, and confrere of figures like ousted CIA chief Allen Dulles. Wasson co-authored The Road to Eleusis with '___' pioneer Albert Hofmann, tracing the programmatic use of psychedelic-fueled “mystery rites” back to Ancient Greece.

Hints of psychedelia began to re-emerge during OWS. One example was the presentation of “Social Dreaming” seminars by London’s notorious Tavistock Institute, where residents of OWS’ “tent city” were guided through the process of collective dreaming and psychoanalysis. Tavistock figured heavily in the creation of the 1960s hippie culture, where it played a parallel role to the CIA and cutouts like the Esalen Institute.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharliePrime
Brand’s excoriation of the political class felt to many like a breath of fresh air. But while Brand’s humor-infused brew of Marxism, anarchism and New Age spirituality may seem like the mere rantings of a rebellious entertainer who frequently refers to himself as a “Jungian Trickster,” I would argue he represents a more dangerous omen.

I tend to agree with most of what you just said, but the idea that the CIA somehow introduced psychedelic drugs into the counterculture in the 1960/70's is actually totally wrong.

What the CIA actually did was quash the psychedelic revolution taking place in that time period that was ultimately waking people up to the scams being run by the powers that be such as the war in Vietnam and other atrocities the state was doing. This was all what the 'summer of love' in the 60's was about.

What the CIA actually did was pretty much fund, smuggle, and start the crack epidemic, I have linked to the video before of George Bush senior literally sat in the oval office holding up a massive bag of crack and saying to the public "This is the most addictive drug ever created, you must not use it" ... well guess how the public reacted to that? Of course it was basically a marketing ploy, the crack coc aine the CIA was running into the US suddenly got a MASSIVE boom in it's use, and the destruction of hundreds of thousands of peoples lives. Just research Iran Contra for the details of the operation. It's no wonder Bush then later became the head of the CIA after his term in office.

See the wiki page on Allegations of CIA drug trafficking for a more complete (although still biased) piece of the puzzle.

[SNIP]

Anywhoooo, to get this back on topic, Brand has recently joined forces with a rather well respected philosopher (kind of I think to ensure that he is not just spouting nonsense) and this philosopher tends to agree with nearly everything he says, and shares some rather insightful comments in general.

This was uploaded an hour or so ago, and is with said philosopher.

edit on 21-4-2014 by ZeuZZ because: (no reason given)
edit on 21-4-2014 by ZeuZZ because: (no reason given)
edit on 21-4-2014 by Kandinsky because: Snipped promotional paragraph

(post by ZeuZZ removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
His most recent one, which is pretty good. I did not say the comments he did about lysergic acid, ego and your identity. He said them. And on youtube. To tens of thousands of people. In a video not even flagged on youtube as unsuitable.

edit on 24-4-2014 by ZeuZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
His next one. I am not at all responsible for anything he says in these talks, that have been viewed by tens of thousands of people on youtube, that tends to embrace a democratic acceptability principle.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Brand is great as he really does not give a **** as to what people say about him, and I am very happy that he has got some of the UKs best known and well respected comedians to join his cause.

What started as a single man crusade has quite quickly turned into a campaign with the support of the very best comedy minds in Britain.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join