It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can I become an A.I. "Artificial Intelligence" Programmer?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Well I ask this question, Where do
I start? what classes or subjects must i learn in-order to become part of this field?

I am 23 Ive been going to my local community college for 5 years, Ive wasted my time and money by not concentrating on school and smoking way to much *edited* and just being lazier than anyone should ever be. Its embarrassing to say the least. But I'm done wasting my time. My major has been "operating systems programming emphasis" all these years but Ive only taken two beginning programming courses so far, i still know next to nothing about programming, I never caught that wave and learned to be a script kiddy. I just really need some guidance, I know that AI programming is on the horizon with computational environments about to explode and we'll be able to simulate the human mind and that will be the beginning of AI development. I know simulation environments and video games use basic multiple threaded decision protocol and to make a "character" or device seem as if its operating according to its own will or even another end user, I know those who program these games still go through hard work but this "basic" AI is not what Im talking about.

This has been my dream to be an AI developer, to be a creator of an Artificial Intelligence it makes me more happy inside thinking about it than you will ever know. The potential that this will bring to humanity and to themselves as we learn alongside these Artificial Constructs. These will be our greatest protectors in the coming times and if needed to do so our greatest weapons, and when I say "ours" I don't mean
ours as a Nation or people, but ours as in each and every one of us. With AI will come true Equality and freedom, freedom from the technological cage our "caretakers" have weaved around us. I just want to do this guys, Can you help me quantify the path ill need to take? I know there are school counselors but I would really appreciate the advice of those here and especially those who are in the field and have gone through similar schooling themselves. Whats a counselor going to know about Programming?
edit on 13-4-2014 by MConnalley because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MConnalley

It's all coding. If you can't comprehend simple scripts now, you'll need to force yourself to.

Good luck.

And illegal drug references are frowned upon.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   

You could start out by researching and understanding how Neural Networks work.
Neural Networks

There are many instructional videos on YT explaining Neural Networks.

Also take a look at Cellular automation, which is one of the things that got me into neural networks years ago.
Cellular_automaton

Hope its a start

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Before you tackle trying to design algorithms that are sentient, you are going to have to learn the fundamentals of programming.

Honestly, if you want to code AI, you have to know how to actually write code. You can study neural networks and how they work all day, but without an understanding of programming and algorithm design, you won't be able to translate human sentience into software.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
It takes a special type of math genius to work on this kind of stuff.

So degree in maths , possibly Quantitative analysis & programming in several languages with C++ being the most important. Then you can start to develop your own algo's

edit on 13-4-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
There's a lot of VERY smart people already in this field, and they still cant fool us with their AI's!
I think you should get into basic programing, and if you excell in that then MAYBE you got what it takes to start work on ai.
Good luck.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Stop being lazy!

You really want me to go there? If it makes you Happy, do it or do not waste your time and others who could actually give you an hand. Since you are young, best to sit by yourself and see what it is you really want to do with your Life First!

Really! What have you been doing for 5yrs, In School? Did I understand you right? One might want to consider dropping AI and switch to Banking!

Or if you so happened to draw your own Avatar, stick to that! Nice! Art is AI also!
Peace
edit on 13-4-2014 by infoseeker26754 because: Missed something!

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Work for DARPA

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Language isn't really important (to start off with), but as others have said learn the fundamentals first - inheritance, polymorphism, generics, OO design and design patterns. Then start reading up on basic AI algorithms and work out how to implement them. Once you've figured out the basics you'll be able to move into the truly difficult stuff - genetic algorithms, neural networks, object/pattern recognition etc.

AI is not an easy field to go into because it's VERY math heavy. If you don't have well above average math skills then I'd recommend choosing a different programming specialty. It's also not something you can pick up a "Learn to Program in 24hrs" book and a week later be churning out AI code. Realistically you're looking at 12months of dedicated learning and many hours in front of a keyboard before you'll be able to write a simple program from scratch and understand how and why it works (ie: not copy someone elses code).

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 05:10 AM
link   
It's a competitive field, I'd recommend applying to study at good institutions with respected AI departments, where you'll meet a lot of professors and experts in the subject, and hopefully find a niche for yourself.

top topics

join