It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Editing Threads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I'm sorry if this has been addressed someplace, but a search turned up nothing and I just want to make sure there's not a technical issue on my end.

In every topic that I've started, the "edit" button doesn't appear as it usually does in my replies in other threads - not only in the OP but in every subsequent response that I make. While I always proof-read, I mostly make edits for grammatical issues or to further clarify or update a statement/issue.

I've certainly seen threads that were edited by the starter so all I can think is that I either am missing something completely, I don't have enough posts to do so (seems unnecessary), that capability is not available to anyone (seems both unlikely and illogical), I've received some sort of ban on making edits (conspiracy?), or (most likely) I've lost my mind all together.

Thanks

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmikDebris

Things that come to mind, empty temp files and cookies...update your browser. Other than that, please post your browser and operating system in hopes other members may be better able to assist you.
edit on 13-4-2014 by Speculation because: Edited to check the system

edit on 13-4-2014 by Speculation because: i have a edit button in all sections I just tried

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I could have made this as an edit because for some reason in this thread I'm able to, but I still am not in other threads I started. Does it have something to do with the age of a post?

I've a feeling this is going to be a "durr" kind of moment but I just want to edit a recent thread.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

How recent is the thread? I'm sure there is a time frame that you're allowed to edit in. But, I'm a newbie. I may be wrong.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

You can only edit after a certain amount of time (I heard once that it was four hours but I'm not sure).

This is also why, when I respond to a new thread, I quote the part I'm referring to so it will still make sense if they edit it later and totally change the post you are responding to.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Speculation

I first noticed on my Android phone that I couldn't edit. So I went to my MacBook Pro (OS X 10.8) and the same was the case with threads I have started up until this particular one you're viewing now. I use Firefox on my laptop and Google Chrome on my phone.

To answer the next question the thread's I'm trying to edit were started as recent as 5 days ago. I'm noticing just now that posts I made today I am able to edit, even within the threads I started.

Sorry to be confusing this so much and it seems like there must be a 4 or 5 day window within which you can edit your threads? Seems odd, as my purpose for editing an original post is to make an update on the originally posted situation.

Thanks for the replies.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Cuervo

You can only edit after a certain amount of time (I heard once that it was four hours but I'm not sure).

Yeah I should've given it a little more observation and had figured that out. Still, it seems like there are times when the OP might want to make updates in the first post of the thread they started to keep things neat or make it easier for a person who is first viewing the thread to see all of the updates in one place rather than sifting through several days/pages of post.

Anyhow, problem solved.

edit on 2014-04-13T12:15:20-05:002014200415kSunAmerica/ChicagobSun, 13 Apr 2014 12:15:20 -0500 by cosmikDebris because: grammar

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

cosmikDebris
Does it have something to do with the age of a post?

Yes, you are allowed two hours to make an edit.
When you open up "edit" within that period, you will see a message above the edit box telling you how much time you have left. This counts down from 120 minutes.

If you try to edit soon after that period,when the Edit button is still there, you get a message saying you have exceeded the "four hour" time limit, but that is a mistake. The time allowed seems to be 120 minutes, as I said, which is only two hours in the rest of the universe.

P.S. I'm not sure when the "edit" link actually disappears on a post, as distinct from becoming unworkable, but I notice it has already gone on a thread I made less than 48 hours ago.
edit on 13-4-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

The editing window for threads and posts is ~ 1 hour. Sometimes that's not enough and it's frustrating to be stuck with what you wrote already right? We've all been there at some point.

Under special circumstances, you can contact mods and supers and they can do edits for you. *Live* threads like volcano updates or Yellowstone alerts have been edited many times. Other times, a member has put something out there they wish they hadn't...

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
The editing time is broken. It gives you less time than it says it does. But having said that, at least you have a window to edit. If it's "frustrating" not to be able to edit, consider the alternative: no editing at all.

That is the philosophy at Slashdot. Their stance is, you said something. It's out there. You can't take it back--just like conversation. So get your act together the first time. I suggest using a local editor for any post of any size so you can tweak it prior to posting. That way you have a chance to ruminate over what you are about to post, correct your grammar and typos, etc. You also lessen the risk of your composition disappearing into the ether before it gets posted. When you've written several thousand characters, that can be "frustrating" as well.

But in both cases, you have the power to fix it yourself.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I agree and always make the effort to get posts right first time.

edit on 13-4-2014 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

I agree. I never have to edit my posts.
edit on Sun, 13 Apr 2014 13:16:29 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

edit on Sun, 13 Apr 2014 13:16:34 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

edit on Sun, 13 Apr 2014 13:16:39 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

top topics

join