It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Demonstrate Three-Way Quantum Communication: What's Faster Than The Speed Of Light?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
There was alot of talk on ATS months ago about how quantum communication has been proved impossible. Now here is an article about three way faster than light quantum communications.

an international team of researchers wanted to know if they could use the properties of light particles to send data in multiple directions over vast distances — at faster than the speed of light.

These scientists set up close to 1500 m of fiber optic cabling to test this.

And according to their paper, it worked. They called the demonstration a "milestone" in quantum mechanics.

Article

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ChefSlug

I can't wait for quantum computers to come out, very excited!

As long as microsoft doesn't create a windows based os for it, all is good. It wouldn't surprise me if they found a way to destroy even the laws of physics with one of there programs when it crashes!
edit on 4/13/2014 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Wonder if this could be used to communicate between past and future? I think the speed of light only applies to things that reside in or are influenced by space time. The entanglement between these particles appears to operate and exist outside of or at least uninfluenced by normal spacetime. So one could imagine establishing constantly entangled particles and then watching them to see if someone in the future changes their spin which we might see here in the past and vice versus...

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   

The link to their paper didn't work for me but it appears the article is misleading and no transfer of information took place.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   

bit by bit (or photon by photon) the mechanics of quantum mechanics are being discovered and put into place for use in computers and other human tools. as below, so above, or so they say.

-- e.e. aleister

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by EasyPleaseMe

The article works for me.

Transfer of information might be misleading itself. The way quantum communication works is mirroring. If particle A is spinning clockwise, no matter the distance particle B will be spinning clockwise. In this article particle C is spinning clockwise as well. Then when particle A is made to spin counter-clockwise, faster than it would take for the light reflecting off particle A to travel to particle B, the particle B is spinning counter-clockwise.

So the information is being passed here on what quantum state the particle is in. The particles mirror each other and change simultaneously. When one is changed the second and third change exactly the same time, with no delay.

So for you no information may be passing because you're looking for Heartbleed information. For everyone else it is.
edit on 1342014 by ChefSlug because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   

So they want to demonstrate faster than light (using light) in cables?

Cool, Now all we need is a cable to reach from here to the nearest inhabited star system.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

From what I know I believe the cables are to monitor and test the connection. The entanglement occurs without the cables.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Xeven

Oh yeah, from what I've read so far, quantum computers are not affected by the illusion of time, since it operates in a different dimension.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Aleister

bit by bit (or photon by photon) the mechanics of quantum mechanics are being discovered and put into place for use in computers and other human tools. as below, so above, or so they say.

My own take on your final words above is that you have it backwards. To fit the data we know about but which science disputes or ignores, it should be "as above, so below."
Meaning, of course, God/ETs had it first.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
With this tech, imagine what it means for space exploration.

Once refined we could send out hundreds of probes, one day when they reach there destination, we can have live images from the journey.

Having a drone or rover with real time data is a huge advancement, manned space travel would not be as vital if we could refine entanglement communication to practical use.

ETA:

This

Plus this

plus entanglement communications

Means exploration would be a lot more practical.
edit on 13-4-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

you get this:

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

AnteBellum

I can't wait for quantum computers to come out, very excited!

As long as microsoft doesn't create a windows based os for it, all is good. It wouldn't surprise me if they found a way to destroy even the laws of physics with one of there programs when it crashes!
edit on 4/13/2014 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

If computers are revolutionized by this discovery, then you can bet that operating systems will likewise be treated to a complete overhaul before being applied to such technology. They might come up with an entirely different sort of software. I'm sure I'm not the only one who dreams of AI systems housed in quantum computing machines. Just as long as there's no VIKI involved!

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
You are not really moving in speed when you are using entanglement from my point of view. There is no matter that have moved thru the space in between these places even if there have been synchronous change at 2 different points in space time.

It is not faster than light even if it arrive before a signal that is moving at the speed of light would arrive.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
So all these experiments with quantum entanglement are supposed to show communication at "faster than the speed of light" because the components are so far away and the communications are instantaneous.

How do you know this means "faster than light travel." What is the other conclusion?

That the components aren't as far away from each other as you think. Both conclusions "break the laws of physics as we know them." Why choose one over the other? Your evidence does not justify it.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I read the article, and although its in English, and I understood what they were saying, my brain simply isn't accepting the information.
First off, yes...information cannot be transferred faster than light. it is the universal speed limit.
I did ask about this before to a physicist, that is using entangled particles for a communication method so you could realtime chat with people on mars and other applications, and it was explained to me its a no go, mostly because of some...erm...ok, here is where my mind got all bent and kicked...some ability to read the particle moves at the speed of light, so although the particle changed at the target, the source information relaying the ability to read took a normal time and it was only through..erm..I am sure I am simply slaughtering the understanding here.
The point was, it simply can't work is what I was lead to understand...and I guess until they can prove through a live example that they made it work, I am going to assume it probably can't work regardless of the hope and claim.

Q.P. gives me a headache....and my stupid monkey brain always tends to fly into fevered dreams of awesome magical tech when considering its implications...best to let smarter people than myself explore this field, because it makes me feel like a 8 year old whenever I try to understand it.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

You can test thinking of it as all points in 3D can be connected to each other on information basis and that you can interact with any of this points with the right tools (spiritual or material) even if you are not physically on the spot.

People who play around with Reiki do this with remote intention healing (intention->manifestation->chi/light flow). Telepathy/remote viewing/astral projection is another example of this from my point of view. Reading/projecting the information of "what is" without being where the information is.
edit on 13-4-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Very confusing article that seems to be talking about confirming violations of Bell inequalities- ie correlating quantum states none locally ...this time done in a three way config rather than 2 way.

Quantum states being "probably the same" in 3 locations simultaneously is a natural phenomenon so does not further the quest for FTL information transfer one "bit" .

Until someone finds a way to encode information into the spin state (probably impossible but if possible -might be limited to planck sized chunks of data) Quantum computing is just something used by pop sci writers to generate interest.

Sending information FTL seems to break causality and would be un-natural- a good clue that it might be another one of natures limitations.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   

ChefSlug

So for you no information may be passing because you're looking for Heartbleed information. For everyone else it is.
edit on 1342014 by ChefSlug because: (no reason given)

I'm not quite sure what you meant by Heartbleed information but for me the article implies transfer of information in the sense that a message like 'FTL comms' can be transmitted rather than the 'information' of quantum states.

If the former is true then physics is going to need a major overhaul.
]
edit on 13/4/2014 by EasyPleaseMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Heartbleed refers to the "Heartbleed" bug giving out personal information... a current trend in information technology, my jokes suck.

They keep coming up with proofs of various quantum phenomena and new magnetic theories and how nebula act because of dark matter, the definitely need to update the world of physics, but think of all the schools that would have to get new textbooks.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join