It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Searching ATS for YT-video ID - not possible?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Hi ATS

I recently did a search on a youtube-video-id. Nothing was found. After some fiddling with search words, i did find a post with the related video. It had the exact same youtube-video-id.

But it would have been alot more user-friendly, not to mention faster, if it could be possible to search for yt-video-ids. Would most likely also reduce the number of redundant posts?

Not sure if this will "overload" the search indexes in the DB, just a suggestion.

Also, if someone posts the wrong YT-link, adding the http... part, wouldn't it be possible to strip the http parts, extracting the yt-id. Its simple string manipulation imho. Just another suggestion.

Thanks for a great site

edit on 13/4/2014 by kloejen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by kloejen

In order for the search engine to do that, it would have to be able to search for text within a hyperlink as the actual YT vid number does not appear in the text of the post.

That might be useful but I have no idea as to the difficulty or feasibility within the constraints of the search engine ATS uses nor what other issues may arise because of it..
edit on 4/13/2014 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Riffrafter
reply to post by kloejen

In order for the search engine to do that, it would have to be able to search for text within a hyperlink as the actual YT vid number does not appear in the text of the post.

That might be useful but I have no idea as to the difficulty or feasibility within the constraints of the search engine ATS uses nor what other issues may arise because of it..
edit on 4/13/2014 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

Not sure i understand you correctly, but how can you store the post without the YT link? The YT link is not within a hyperlink, but within the boards TAG's.

The TAG "YVID", and the YT-ID would be in the post-data, like below

[yTvid]YD-video-ID[/yTvid]

Yes the above TAG's are incorrect, in order to show you what i mean. If the YT-link wasn't stored in the post-data, you would lose the position of the video too.

edit on 14/4/2014 by kloejen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by kloejen

You're right - I misspoke. I meant that the vid # is in the tag (not hyperlink) vs. being in the text of the post.

I think tags are treated like formatting and are therefore ignored by the search engine. Same goes for emoticons. I don't believe any of the text that goes between the colons is searchable i.e. lol, cheers, wow, uzi, etc.

Need a mod or ATS tech or admin to answer definitively. I'm surprised one hasn't already addressed your question...

top topics

join