It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another big 7.5 quake just hit Near Solomon Islands- That's THREE 7+ now- lookout!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 04:05 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

Another big 7.5 quake hit Near Solomon Islands- That's FOUR 7+ now- lookout!

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Just redoing the title. Because that IS four 7+ now, in the span of a month, all along that Solomon Islands zone. This might be one of those subduction zones that blatantly violates the 1 to 1.5 mag rule- with nothing else bigger happening. Sequences like this have happened before there, and no monster quake occurred. But still, it could.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

Hey TA- I admit that I have little to no understanding of EQ's, but the topic does fascinate me. So, with the rule of 1 to 1.5, does that mean you should expect a after quake ranging from the first quake up to 1.5 magnitude higher? Meaning, if there was a 7.5 quake that a 9.0 (1.5 higher) wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility or likeliness?

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

I'm nowhere near an expert either, but I think it's the other way around. Generally an aftershock is 1 to 1.5 mag lower than the quake. If you get one that's bigger, then it may be a foreshock as opposed to an aftershock. I believe that's the theory.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pimpish
a reply to: jhn7537

I'm nowhere near an expert either, but I think it's the other way around. Generally an aftershock is 1 to 1.5 mag lower than the quake. If you get one that's bigger, then it may be a foreshock as opposed to an aftershock. I believe that's the theory.

Not gonna lie, you may have one of the better names on ATS

And thanks for clearing that up for me... With foreshocks, aftershocks, and everything in between I find myself getting confused pretty easily...

<< 1  2   >>

join