It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: U.S. Army Deserter Jenkins Walks Free

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 01:25 AM
link   
On January 5, 1965, Charles Jenkins, of Rich Square, NC, deserted the US Army to avoid service in Vietnam. At the time, he was serving in South Korea and he crossed the Demilitarized Zone into North Korea with the intention of defecting to the Soviet Embassy and eventually returning to the United States. Instead, the North Koreans enslaved him under extremely hash conditions and used him for propaganda broadcasts and teaching English to North Koreans for the better part of forty years.

www.nbcsandiego.com
TOKYO -- U.S. Army deserter Charles Jenkins was released from military jail on Saturday after serving 25 days for abandoning his squadron in 1965 and defecting to North Korea, where he lived for nearly four decades.

Jenkins, 64, left the prison at the U.S. naval base in Yokosuka and was taken by helicopter to the Camp Zama Army base, where he was to join his family for several days before moving to his wife's hometown in northern Japan.

"Forty years is a long time," a sobbing Jenkins, still in uniform, told The Associated Press after he arrived at Camp Zama. "My plan is to stay in Japan, if they will accept me. I want to go back to the United States, but only once. With my wife, I'll live in Japan, with my family."

The release ends the longest desertion case on U.S. record. Although American deserters from the 1940s are still on the military's wanted list, none has turned himself in.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Charles Jenkins sought to avoid serving in Vietnam to fight communism and found himself a prisoner for forty years in the North Korean communist utopia teaching English, studying the philosophy of Kim Il Sung, and dishing up propaganda broadcasts across the Korean DMZ. He slept on floors, had no running water, bathed once a month, except in the summer when he could bathe in the river, and he "...longed to leave that place every day."

Personally, I have no sympathy for Jenkins. By all rights, he should be living out the rest of his life at Fort Leavenworth instead of living on a Japanese island with his wife. A Dishonorable Discharge and thirty days for desertion is laughable. There is still a poetic justice to be found in the treatment he received by the communist North Koreans. To every proponent of communism, I give you Pvt. Charles Jenkins. USA.

Related News Links:
www.nbcsandiego.com
news.bbc.co.uk
www.reuters.co.uk
www.reuters.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: Japan Arranges Reunion in Jakarta for US Deserter & Wife

[edit on 04/11/27 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 06:04 AM
link   
No human being has to ever fight in wars if he doesn't want to.
No human being has to be loyal to a nation or his government. It is himself he answers to not governments, not nations.

Man's only loyally it morality, not duty to a nation.
Man serves good, not nations.

You own your life, not the governments. So when they want you to go and fight a war and they say they are bad guys tell them to # off and stop manuiplating people to die for their lame views on the world.

American troops should should say screw the arabs and screw my government and come home. To send their governments to jail. Install a new governments that doesn't manipulate the people and also doesn't organize terrorist activties againist it's own people then blame someone else in order to create a war.

[edit on 27-11-2004 by Thinker]

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thinker
No human being has to be loyal to a nation or his government. It is himself he answers to not governments, not nations.

[edit on 27-11-2004 by Thinker]

That was very well put. I think this man deserves to live in peace with his family. I do not buy all this traitor bull, just because he did not want to kill.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 06:54 AM
link   
What an ordeal he has been through. And some people have absolutely

no compassion--no sense of, "He was trying to be decent."

I wish this nation would have a sense of what is decent.

But, that's gone. Look what we're doing: fomenting war again.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Nope! Grady is right in what he says.

If this guy didn't want to fight, he could have "consciensously objected" and spent the war in a jail cell at home, but he didn't.

He went over there and then deserted his post with the intention to DEFECT. To join the ranks of the enemy. He intended to join the communists and thats exactly what he got. A life under communist rule.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Psychoses

He went over there and then deserted his post with the intention to DEFECT. To join the ranks of the enemy. He intended to join the communists and thats exactly what he got. A life under communist rule.

Rubbish, where is it shown he was WANTING to join the enemy. What a great option, go and kill or go to jail, ah American Freedom.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I can admire a man who uses his head and heart and not wanting to fight. If this fellow does not want to fight..he has that right based on his religous standing. If we were not in Iraq we would have a mousqe on every corner and and the people who profess to be a religion of peace would be here beheading any infidel they could get their sandy little hands and knives on.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Rubbish, where is it shown he was WANTING to join the enemy. What a great option, go and kill or go to jail, ah American Freedom.

The article did state that his intention was to defect and as I understand it, when somebody decides to "defect" there intentions are to: desert (a cause, a country or an army), often in order to join the opposing cause, country, or army;

If we were not in Iraq we would have a mousqe on every corner and and the people who profess to be a religion of peace would be here beheading any infidel they could get their sandy little hands and knives on.

Well let me tell you something. Australia went to Iraq to back the U.S in the war.

We have heaps of Mosques here but we call it multiculturalism. Did you know that we haven't had a single beheading! Not even one. Racism is not a good character trait

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 09:01 AM
link   
It says he was to head to the Soviet embassy with intentions of returning to the US.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   

You own your life, not the governments. So when they want you to go and fight a war and they say they are bad guys tell them to # off and stop manuiplating people to die for their lame views on the world.

American troops should should say screw the arabs and screw my government and come home.

Ah, if only it were that simple.

I tried doing that same thing. I originally supported the war, and joined the Army and requested to go to Iraq. (Ah, how foolish I was!) When I realized my mistake, I found...a loophole, for lack of a better word. I tried to use it to get out of the Army, and just last week I discovered the Army screwed me over as it has been doing ever since I joined. This week I will be flying back to the United States, (I'm in Korea), and I will go on leave for about two weeks. After two weeks of leave I report to my next duty station where I will almost definitely end up being deployed to Iraq. If only I could do what you mentioned.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I think Jenkins got his just desserts with 40 years of NK "Juche" (self sufficiency) and sending him to an American prison in a way would be a useless endeavor.

Some praise Jenkins for his decision in refusing to fight in Vietnam, I don't and further see his decision to defect to NK as an absolutely stupid thing to do.

Going Awol and ending up in Canada although not commendable would have been the brighter decision - fact of the matter if he felt that fighting was immoral he should have avoided military service in the first place by going to Canada.

Maybe a more just sentence instead of 25 days would be to have Jenkins stand at the "Wall" in Washington for a specified time and reflect on his past actions, those named on that wall are the ones most deserving of an answer from this deserter.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 09:34 AM
link   

I totally agree

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I think he has way more than paid his dues. He suffered 40 years of what I would think to be a tortured life for the decision he made. Most of his youth and all his middle age years were taken away, and he likely doesn't have many senior years left.

What would be the point of making him serve the rest of his life in a military prison? Who would benefit from that? For the most part, I don't think the people of this nation would benefit. To the contrary, I'll bet most would be against it, since most were against the Vietnam War in the first place. Only a few angry, sadistic, hard-nosed people would feel good about prolonging this man's suffering.

Besides, there's plenty of injustice, suffering and crimes against humanity taking place right now for the angry folks to delight in. Why should they have all the fun? Let the forces of justice and human rights have a couple points this time.

I don't know what this man was thinking when he made the decision that he did. But regardless, he paid heavily for it. It's not like he got away with anything; he had 40 long, hard years to think about it.

My first thought after reading the article was, maybe if this guy had been given the option of joining the Texas Air National Guard, instead of fleeing through hostile territory, he might have been able to avoid service in the jungles of Vietnam altogether. And who knows? He might even be our President right now ...

Just goes to show how one decision can irreversibly alter your course and set your destiny in stone. One thing's for sure, life's a crapshoot ...

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Aren't some members in here saying that the U.S. government is the real evil government?.... This man seemed to think the same as some people do in here.... guess he found out the hard way that there are worse places than the U.S.

I feel sorry for him that he found out that way, but he did learn i guess....trying to defect from the U.S to a communist country.....he really was a dumbass....

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by an3rkist

American troops should should say screw the arabs and screw my government and come home.

I tried doing that same thing. I originally supported the war, and joined the Army and requested to go to Iraq. (Ah, how foolish I was!) When I realized my mistake, I found...a loophole, for lack of a better word. I tried to use it to get out of the Army, and just last week I discovered the Army screwed me over as it has been doing ever since I joined. This week I will be flying back to the United States, (I'm in Korea), and I will go on leave for about two weeks. After two weeks of leave I report to my next duty station where I will almost definitely end up being deployed to Iraq. If only I could do what you mentioned.

Don't go, tell the army you don't want to go. If they throw u in jail so be it.
Why should you risk your life for this mafia government. Try to get media antention on this case and hopefully the people will wedge the government.

Why do soilders fear? being court marshaledl ? because of silly contract, selling you life to us army? screw them.

The leaders of nations just see you as number. They really don't care if you die. Hilter never cares, stalin never cared, neoplolian never cared, bush never cared, saddam never cared.

It sickness me when i see the dead american's being show on the news.
These men are like good people. But their leaders are manuplating snakes!.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Personally he has got what he deserves and should not be allowed back in the United States.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Psychoses

The article did state that his intention was to defect and as I understand it, when somebody decides to "defect" there intentions are to: desert (a cause, a country or an army), often in order to join the opposing cause, country, or army;

If we were not in Iraq we would have a mousqe on every corner and and the people who profess to be a religion of peace would be here beheading any infidel they could get their sandy little hands and knives on.

Well let me tell you something. Australia went to Iraq to back the U.S in the war.

We have heaps of Mosques here but we call it multiculturalism. Did you know that we haven't had a single beheading! Not even one. Racism is not a good character trait

Yeah but Islam expects men to covered up women. So when a western girl is walking down the street with muslim women on her side and the muslim man see the half naked western women? It's makes the rules of islam pointless.

Muslims wants all women to be covered up. Even in the west.
They will always despise the western culture because it's not compitable with Islam. This then makes muslim men look down at western women. This when muslim arab men then use the western women for sex or even rape at times. Because of their mentality view on western women.

You should read the growing rape cases in australia and france. Simply because of mentality of muslim men that western women are trash and deserve it. After they have had sex with many western women, they then go off to marrie their cousins in the middleast.

I don't like this view of arab men. I also don't like the mentality of a western women who bed these guys. You know what they say "bad boys are attractive" Women in general tend to want to have sex including western women. To lustful men, and arabs males are very lustful, unlike western men.

It's doesn't make sense, Islam is againist lust but has the most lustful men on the earth.

The muslims will always look down at western culture secretly.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Personally he has got what he deserves and should not be allowed back in the United States.

At least you're consistent in your cold hard-heartedness.

Muslims wants all women to be covered up. Even in the west.

Nonsense! Do you know even a single female Muslim person who lives in a Western country? Go out and do little social research before making such uninformed generalizations!

BTW, it was the US' former AG who decreed that statues in DC government buildings must be covered to prevent the occurence of involuntary Pavlovian salivating among male government employees.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by an3rkist

Don't go, tell the army you don't want to go. If they throw u in jail so be it.
Why should you risk your life for this mafia government. Try to get media antention on this case and hopefully the people will wedge the government.

Why do soilders fear? being court marshaledl ? because of silly contract, selling you life to us army? screw them.

The leaders of nations just see you as number. They really don't care if you die. Hilter never cares, stalin never cared, neoplolian never cared, bush never cared, saddam never cared.

It sickness me when i see the dead american's being show on the news.
These men are like good people. But their leaders are manuplating snakes!.

As much as I agree with everything you said one hundred percent, it's not IF they throw me in jail, because they amost definitely will. I recently applied for conscientious objector status, and the Army managed to screw me over for that and pretend as if I never did it. I've considered doing it again, but I PCS this week and my next duty station, as I said, will put me in a unit where I will almost definitely be deployed to Iraq. Applying for conscientious objector status with the knowldge that you're being deployed is almost definite grounds for imprisonment. The Army has had a knack for screwing me over ever since I've been in. I won't get into it, but the point is the Army will find a way to screw me over worse than I can imagine. Not to mention when I originally applied for it, my family was...not entirely supportive to say the least. They're pretty happy the Army found a way to brush me aside. I'd like to say I don't want to give up. And I'd like to say I feel so strongly about this that I'd risk imprisonment, but until I know more about the prison sentence, (as in am I going to be in jail for the better part of my younger 20's?), I'm going to suck it up and hope that I don't get put in a position where it's my life or theirs, because I'm not entirely sure what I would do when faced with a decision like that. I don't want to kill anybody, especially not for the Army. But I don't want to die. I can't know what I would do until I got in that position. Hopefully, I never will be, though.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 11:01 PM
link   
First of all, shorten your quote, so the mods don't have a cow.

Second, what were you thinking when you joined the Army, anyway? Didn't you notice at some time during the your socialization and education that the United States Army has had more than a passing association with warfare since it's inception in 1775? Did you fail to notice that war would be hell even if no one got killed? Did you not know that you would be trained to kill and expected to do so? Did you think that being an "Army of One," you could call your own shots or be your own Commander-in-Chief?

And last, are you male or female and what's your MOS?

Give us some insight into your mindset. It could be very enlightening, I think.

One more thing. Have you talked to a chaplain?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join