It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can someone tell me how to make a pizza sauce from scatch

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I'm sure its not too involved, but I've yet nailed it. My pizza sauce is horrible. Comes out lifeless, no zap to it. OK, please help.

thanks guys

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 03:15 AM
link   
What are you currently using for your sauce?

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by musicismagic

Firstly welcome to ATS

This is the recipe I use.

1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped

½ red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped

1 heaped teaspoon chopped fresh basil

8 oz (225 g) fresh tomatoes, skinned and chopped

freshly milled black pepper and salt to taste.

Heat the oil in a medium saucepan, then add the garlic and chilli and cook briefly until the garlic is pale gold. Then add all the other sauce ingredients, stir and season with a little salt and pepper.

Nom nom nom

RichAwake you're just down the road from me

Cody

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 04:54 AM
link   
TBH the easiest way is to boil down a can of chopped tomato's and add whatevery you like to make it taste good, id go with garlic oregano a spice you like, some paprika and um..... oh basil (but add the basil in right at the end)

You simply empty the can into a saucepan and put it on the heat, not so much it spits and bubbles, leave it simmer for about 10 minutes and as the tomato parts break up add the other ingredients then stir it alot to help it break up and it will turn to a goop after about after 20 minutes.

And thats it!

You are done.

This method also works really well to make pasta sauces though you need to finely chop an onion and crush a few real garlic cloves in for that maybe a bell pepper or some chillis for a distinct flavor twist.
edit on b5555459 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Tinned tomato-Italians don't use fresh for sauces much.

One finely chopped big onion and a couple cloves of garlic sweated down in a tbsp of olive oil until soft.
Puree tin tomatoes with stick blender and add, along with an inch or so of tomato puree from a tube.

Salt pepper and oregano to taste, and reduce until it's more of a paste than thin and runny.

My kids seem to like it.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Hey guys thanks. I use a Japanese spaghetti sauce, tomatoes, olive oil and garlic, salt and pepper, but it comes out terrible.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 06:39 AM
link   

musicismagic
Hey guys thanks. I use a Japanese spaghetti sauce, tomatoes, olive oil and garlic, salt and pepper, but it comes out terrible.

Fukupizza.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Fresh tomato sauce for pizza:
Fresh skinned tomatoes
a good splash of olive oil
salt, pepper, basil and oregano or marjoram to taste.
basil, rosemary, thyme, and chopped small lemonthyme.

Mix the sauce. Do not boil!

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   
The Italian girl chiming in here.
1 16oz can tomatoes sauce
1 small can tomatoes paste
2 Tbls chopped garlic
2 tps dried basil
2 tps dried oragano
1Tbs sugar
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
Olive oil

In a 2 quart sauce pan lightly brown the garlic in some olive oil. Add the canned tomatoes products. Using the small tomatoes paste can add three cans water. Add the dried herbs the sugar and the cheese. Bring up to a good simmer (don't boil) stirring the sauce. Reduce the heat to a slow simmer and let simmer for an hour or longer. You want the sauce to get very thick. Stir every so often so that the sauce does not stick to the bottom of the pot.
My grandmoters recipe and she was born in Napals Italy.
No need to start with fresh tomatoes unless you grow your own. The hot house tomatoes don't have the flavor you need for a good sauce. If you grow your own plum tomatoes you'll need about 20 tomatoes to make the sauce and you will have to peel and seed the tomatoes.
To easily peel tomatoes. Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil . Add the tomatoes and let them boil for no longer than a minute and a half. Let the tomatoes cool and then peel. The skin will slide right off. Remove the seeds and the jelly like substance that surrounds them leaving only the flesh of the tomatoes. Crush the tomatoes and proceed as above. You will have to simmer this sauce for three hours to make a pizza sauce. Easier to start with good canned tomatoes. Look for an Italian brand.
This is also the sauce I use for pasta.
edit on AM000000300000000441534302014-04-13T07:34:46-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

edit on AMu30u0441537302014-04-13T07:37:01-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by cody599

My goodnes that just sounds delicious, gonna try that out next pizza i make, thnks for recipe

Ok so many delicious looking recipes here
Gonna try em out, im use to make just simple sauce but this threat is eye opener :=)
edit on 13-4-2014 by romilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   

AutumnWitch657
2 Tbls chopped garlic
2 tps dried basil
2 tps dried oragano
1Tbs sugar
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
Olive oil

In a 2 quart sauce pan lightly brown the garlic in some olive oil. Add the canned tomatoes products. Using the small tomatoes paste can add three cans water. Add the dried herbs the sugar and the cheese. Bring up to a good simmer (don't boil) stirring the sauce. Reduce the heat to a slow simmer and let simmer for an hour or longer. You want the sauce to get very thick. Stir every so often so that the sauce does not stick to the bottom of the pot.
No need to start with fresh tomatoes unless you grow your own. The hot house tomatoes don't have the flavor you need for a good sauce. If you grow your own plum tomatoes you'll need about 20 tomatoes to make the sauce and you will have to peel and seed the tomatoes.
To easily peel tomatoes. Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil . Add the tomatoes and let them boil for no longer than a minute and a half. Let the tomatoes cool and then peel. The skin will slide right off. Remove the seeds and the jelly like substance that surrounds them leaving only the flesh of the tomatoes. Crush the tomatoes and proceed as above. You will have to simmer this sauce for three hours to make a pizza sauce. Easier to start with good canned tomatoes. Look for an Italian brand.
edit on AM000000300000000441534302014-04-13T07:34:46-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

edit on AMu30u0441537302014-04-13T07:37:01-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

I bow to a greater knowledge

I'll print that off if you don't mind it sounds delicious

Cody

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by romilo

LOL
I just got outdone by an Italian ................ go figure

I'm so trying that recipe as soon as I get the OK

Cody

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by cody599

I read that to and its looking real tasty recipe but ur recipe had more spicy elements that i like very much, im thinkin way to mix and match from both of the recipes

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   

cody599

AutumnWitch657
2 Tbls chopped garlic
2 tps dried basil
2 tps dried oragano
1Tbs sugar
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
Olive oil

Cody

LOL. I was at the stove cooking when I had to stand on a chair to do it. My mom had me chopping as soon as I could handle a knife.(with supervision)
Enjoy. Want my recipe for meatballs?

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Another good tip is, if you have to use bland or poor quality ingredients, just add more spices. Basic chili power can cover a multitude of sins when it comes to the veg.

i personally love a spicy spaghetti sauce.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   

romilo
reply to post by cody599

I read that to and its looking real tasty recipe but ur recipe had more spicy elements that i like very much, im thinkin way to mix and match from both of the recipes

You can add red pepper flakes to the sauce if you want it spicy but pizza sauce is usually a sweeter sauce with the extra flavor coming from the topping. Adding hot Italian sausage will also spice it up. Add them raw at the beginning or brown them a d finish the cooking in the sauce. The sausage that cooks from raw will be absolutely fork tender after two hours of simmering in the sauce. Yum.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by AutumnWitch657

Grazie mille
Yes i would greatly appreciete good meatball recipe too

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Antigod

Tinned tomato-Italians don't use fresh for sauces much.

One finely chopped big onion and a couple cloves of garlic sweated down in a tbsp of olive oil until soft.
Puree tin tomatoes with stick blender and add, along with an inch or so of tomato puree from a tube.

Salt pepper and oregano to taste, and reduce until it's more of a paste than thin and runny.

My kids seem to like it.

You are exactly right. Italians use canned tomatoes for sauce. Why do all that work when it's done for you. Just make sure you buy Italian tomatoes.
History bonus.
Tomatoes are not native to Italy. Early Italians didn't have tomatoe sauce. The tomatoe was imported from South America where it was native. Early Europeans didn't want to eat the tomatoes because of its resemblance to deadly night shade plants. It took a while for the tomato to be accepted.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   

AutumnWitch657

cody599

AutumnWitch657
2 Tbls chopped garlic
2 tps dried basil
2 tps dried oragano
1Tbs sugar
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
Olive oil

Cody

LOL. I was at the stove cooking when I had to stand on a chair to do it. My mom had me chopping as soon as I could handle a knife.(with supervision)
Enjoy. Want my recipe for meatballs?

Absolutely

You can never have enough recipes in your life, I remember being awake at stupid o'clock as a kid helping (or so I thought) my grand mum make pastry on a marble slab (her prized possession).............. outside.

"The colder the better for making pastry Cody, the hotter the better for later"

Thanks for the memory I've got a smile on my face as wide as a glacier's path

Cody

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   

I'm sure its not too involved, but I've yet nailed it. My pizza sauce is horrible. Comes out lifeless, no zap to it. OK, please help.

Hi...

Ingredients:

6 to 10 Tomatoes, rumona usually, run under hot water & peel all skin, chopped, place in saucepan with 1/2 cup of water, tsp of salt, 1/2 tsp of pepper, let simmer on low.
Once boiled down, use a cheese cloth or plastic sieve so the seeds are gone. Set aside.

In non stick frying pan & use a Tbsp of butter or margarine or virgin olive oil, add a 1/2 cup to 1 cup of finely chopped onions, 3 to 6 finely chopped or pressed garlic, heat, stir constantly till onions and garlic are transparent then add to sauce pan of seed free cooked tomatoes.
In the frying pan, add 1/2 cup of water.
Add:
1/2 cup very tiny fine chopped celery,
1/22 cup of finely grated carrot,
1/2 cup very finely chopped peppers, green, yellow, orange, red or all,
3 cloves finely chopped garlic
1/4 cup of finely chopped chives and or leeks,
1/4 cup of cilantro finely chopped,
1 Tbsp of fresh or dried parsley
1 tsp Thyme,
1 tsp black pepper,
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp salt
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp sugar,
1/4 cup lemon juice
chopped jalapeno peppers and or young zucchini optional
1/2 tsp ginger
1/16th to 1/8th tsp of anise
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/4 tsp mustard seed
1 to 2 crushed bay leafs
Simmer together till cooked, almost paste like

At this point, if you are making it a bolognese for your spaghetti, spaghettini , penne, linguini, lasagna or ravioli or even pizza
Add mixture to the meat you choose, I like spicy grated ham sausage or grated Schneider's Thuringer summer sausage, but you can used spiced ground beef, spiced ground chicken or turkey, grated italian sausage, etc, use mixture with the mostly cooked meet 1st.

If just as a marinara, then to the tomatoes readied.

My fave is too finish cooking the meat with it 1st, then add to readied tomatoes, let simmer frequently re adding more of spices necessary, add 1 tbsp of both soya sauce and worchestire sauce.

Optional but I like adding sliced mushrooms, 1/2 cup of old or extra old cheddar, 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese, and keep simmering & stirring long as you have time for, I like using a can of heinz tomato juice if low on liquid.

Mix 2 cups flour or rice flour or both with salt, 1bsp baking soda , 1 tbsp baking powder in a mixture of margarine, butter, or shortening till the consistency of cornmeal, add prepared egg yolks or whites or whole egg, mixed with 1/2 cup of part water, part milk at room temperature. I like adding parsley to it. Knead into 1 or 2 balls, refrigerate 1 to 2 hours, take out, roll over sprinkled flour thin as pie crust, with sharp knife or multi cutter, cuut into stips or shapes you want, linguine, lasagna, ribbons, etc or put a meat or cheese filling between 2 rolled out and cut into ravioli squares.

I the noodles, hang and let dry about 1/2 hour then cook in salted, oiled, water till boiled as you usually would till cooked then serve with sauce, in the sauce, or bake in sauce, topping with grated parmesan & or grated mozza cheeses. Have dried chilli pepper for those who wish, serve with garlic toast, loaf or focaccia.....

It is a LOT EASIER & FASTER than it sounds.

Bon appetite if you do or don't use this recipe lol! Best of luck

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join