It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Just Watched 'Idiocracy' For The First Time

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   

intrptrSometimes they were right. Many "civilized" nations have become empires and destroyed themselves in the process. So no matter how good things start out they tend to end up burned to the ground. Anyone that pointed out the folly they were heading into was spurned as overdramatic and discredited, just like you just did.

Name one civilization that imploded because "Bubba" had 19 kids. I can think of a few that collapsed because the elites became corrupt and apathetic but "Bubba" has always had a lot of kids, does now have a lot of kids and will have a lot of kids in the future.

intrptrThats about as ignorant a statement as one can make. This modern world is first of its kind on earth. And we are choking on the runoff from our technical "civilized" infrastructure. The sheer number of people, the destruction of environment, the rape of resources, pollution and the wars perpetrated the last 100 years or so, have no parallel in history.

I'm sorry, did I cut a little too close to the bone with my reference to pseudo-intellectuals? You know what people did 2000 years ago? They did their work, they thought about getting drunk on their off time, and they had sex.

One thousand years ago? They did their work, they thought about getting drunk on their off time, and they had sex.

Today? We do our work, think about getting drunk on our off time, and we have sex.

Take a wild guess what mankind will be doing in 500 years.

You're one of those guys that goes on and on about the "meaning" of idiocracy, aren't you? Let me guess, you think that if you had more kids we can avoid the "apocalyptic prophecy" of one Mr. Mike Judge because you're better than "Bubba".

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Goteborg

Today? We do our work, think about getting drunk on our off time, and we have sex.

You fit the typical denizen in Idiocracy to a T. Vanity and arrogance are required character traits. You have both and don't even know it.

You got something to add to the thread premise about the dumb downed nature of people today or are you just behaving like characters in the movie?

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I agree with the OP. It does bring about some cognitive dissonance. It deeply saddened me because all you have to do is step out the door and see the real thing over and over and over. But on the other hand, it's a freaking funny movie. I don't think we are at the end of western civilization just yet, there is a ebb and flow with cultural mores and dumbass has always been around.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

It's good for the plants because it has electrolytes!

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I've seen Idiocracy too, and although it does reflect on what may come, it helps to remember that it is a satire.

I'm sure we'll still have smart people, but few and far between that can still help us

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
"you think Einstein went around thinking everybody was a bunch of dumb#s?"

"Yeah, now you know why they made that bomb"

I love that movie, almost as much as Office Space. I watch both of those about 5-10x yearly, just so I can keep what's left of my sanity intact.

It is satire to an extreme, and yeah, there are moments that just get too weird, like Brawndo just buying the FDA so they can make the world drink a sports drink instead of water ("Water? you mean like out of the toilet?"). Also the whole idea that corporations are so idolized that all clothing comes with gaudy branding and logos.

Just wait til Carls Jr comes out with an extra-bigass Taco, now with extra molecules!

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
That movie reminded me of the book "Amusing Ourselves To Death" (published in the 1980s)
The author pondered the future in an Orwell vs. Huxley light.

Will we reach a point where books are banned by a totalitarian Big Brother?

Or, will we reach a point where there is no need to ban books because no one wants to read them?
Because people simply don't think anymore?

Orwell feared the truth would be hidden from us.
Huxley feared the truth would be drowned in a sea of distractions.
It seems that both are taking place, eh?

A quote from the book:
Americans no longer talk to each other, they entertain each other. They do not exchange ideas, they exchange images. They do not argue with propositions; they argue with good looks, celebrities and commercials.”

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
It is a tremendously funny movie. And yes...very potentially true as so many people have given up on learning and have switched to "google brain" video games, and "going to the club" for family entertainment. If I may, another prophetic film is "Walle"....nobody doing there exercise until the have to ride in little carts to do their business......Oh wait...that has already come true!

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
There have always been differences in the hardware in folk's skulls... and vast differences in curiosity and discipline to quench that curiosity.

A greater intelligence has always been statistically rare... it's always been a few who come up with novelty for all.

There will always be those that can't stand to just accept things as they are and work to better understand.

Despite those few, society as a whole will rise and fall... rinse, wash, repeat... in the immensity of time.

But the movie was good satire... pointing to trends as a warning... good movie... good art... but not a prophecy... which are usually stupid, btw.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Thank you very much. I have seen a few of those, but there are plenty that I haven't.

Watch this:

Don´t know why this fu**ing Videolink won´t work:

YT:
The Great Dictator Final Speech + Time by Hans Zimmer

edit on 17 4 2014 by BRDAKUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Buzzkill Alert! Democratic self-government does not work

Plato was a wise man. I've always thought a benevolent dictatorship/monarchy with council would be ideal, just that how does one insure against corruption in future dictators/monarchs?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join