It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Just Watched 'Idiocracy' For The First Time

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ProfessorChaos

Ladies and Gentlemen... PRESIDENT OF UMERICCAAAAA...! UUUHHHH

Definitely my favorite scene from that hilarious movie, I remember seeing it for the first time I felt I was getting dumber just by watching it. It was very disturbing for me too at first by the prophetical nature of that movie, but when I watched it again I just find it funny to see just how much everything turns into Idiocracy in our world. There's nothing really for us to do about it, just laughing at the irony presenting itself nowadays and manifesting now and not in 500 years. We are going back evolutionary speaking, world IS getting dumber as we speak, with the nicely so called educational system and degrees camouflage. Might as well enjoy the peak of intelligence we have reached, world will soon have a bunch of dumb # running everything. Or is it already happening?

"Everbody is so obsessed with bodybuilding. We need to start building our minds before we have a country filled with a bunch of strong dumb mother----ers." -George Carlin

And that's how President Camacho won the elections haha
edit on 13-4-2014 by Shuye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 05:17 AM
link   

SaturnFX
That movie was awesome. Soo many quotable lines. Brought to you by Carls Jr.

Go away, i'm Batin'!! One of my favorite movies. Funny thing I noticed, people either absolutely love that movie, or completely despise / hate it.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 06:07 AM
link   
I agree with the author of this thread. Idiocracy is prophetic and unfolding before our eyes.
Just watch a Maury show ... 'who's your baby daddy?' ... it's unending.

This week, we went for a visit to the Air and Space Smithonian. It's been at least a decade since we went. When I'd visit in the past, there would be historical items ...planes and space items ... glories from the past. But there would also be mock ups of things America is working on. When I was a kid, there was a mock up of the space shuttle ... it was 'coming'. And there were mock ups of other things coming. Now, there are no mockups of what we are working on. There is nothing coming. We are no longer innovative. We no longer excel. We no longer are reaching for the stars in the sky. America is becoming a lazy ... a welfare society that says 'do you want large fries with that'. It's very sad.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Great, now tell us something that ISN'T completely ****ing obvious.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   

THAT'S the name of the other movie that was suggested to me! Thank you! I couldn't remember the name.

Oh, good. You're in for a treat. Brazil is a little complex and heavily edited for the states. The original name was going to be "America" but the censors wouldn't allow it to air here unless they changed the title.
Once you're done ingesting that,

Three Days of the Condor (Robert Redford) ****

Roller Ball (the original with James Caan.) ****

THX1138 ****

Metropolis (Fritz Lang) theres a new version that restores it to as original as possible. ****

Parallax View ***

H.G. Wells' Of things to Come. **

Fahrenheit 451 **

The Killer Elite ***

Thief (again, James Caan) ****

The Conversation ***

Logan's Run **

Brave New World **

Little Big Man ***

Billy Jack **

Soylent Green ***

Serpico ***

Missing (Sissy Spacek and Jack Lemon) ****

Young Guns ***

Not all these are super cool. 4 stars are must see. Most have elements of expose and government conspiracy . Most were made before the current era of secrecy and disinformation. Some like Metropolis are prophetic. Thief is violent. I am sure there are more. Should keep you entertained for a while…

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Goteborg

ProfessorChaos
I realize that there will be some (or many) of you that will tell me that I'm overreacting to the movie, and that may be true in a sense, but I think that what I'm reacting to is what I see everyday on the streets, in the stores, and at work.

Yep, you're overreacting. The society depicted in that movie was a commentary on today's society and two extremely average people made a difference when they put their minds to it. I think that's a pretty decent lesson.

The point I was trying to make in that quote was that my reaction isn't to the society depicted in the film, but rather, it's similarity to what I see in my everyday life when I leave my home.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

intrptr

THAT'S the name of the other movie that was suggested to me! Thank you! I couldn't remember the name.

Oh, good. You're in for a treat. Brazil is a little complex and heavily edited for the states. The original name was going to be "America" but the censors wouldn't allow it to air here unless they changed the title.
Once you're done ingesting that,

Three Days of the Condor (Robert Redford) ****

Roller Ball (the original with James Caan.) ****

THX1138 ****

Metropolis (Fritz Lang) theres a new version that restores it to as original as possible. ****

Parallax View ***

H.G. Wells' Of things to Come. **

Fahrenheit 451 **

The Killer Elite ***

Thief (again, James Caan) ****

The Conversation ***

Logan's Run **

Brave New World **

Little Big Man ***

Billy Jack **

Soylent Green ***

Serpico ***

Missing (Sissy Spacek and Jack Lemon) ****

Young Guns ***

Not all these are super cool. 4 stars are must see. Most have elements of expose and government conspiracy . Most were made before the current era of secrecy and disinformation. Some like Metropolis are prophetic. Thief is violent. I am sure there are more. Should keep you entertained for a while…

Thank you very much. I have seen a few of those, but there are plenty that I haven't.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Sorry to overwhelm you like that if I did. I don't normally put out like that, but you seem to have an inquiring mind that wants to know as much about the world around you as you can. Movies area a good way to digest information, even though the plot or story line is contrived, earlier films tend to expose more truth in them than they do today. Enjoy at your insure. If you are at all like me you enjoy favorites more than once. Some of those are cult classics.

One more for you…

Silkwood

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jrflipjr

The effort and self-discipline required for serious study is not something most people enjoy. - S

This is true, but it is also true that people have become so over burdened by tax and the cost of living that they have no time to even think. They have little time to enjoy or even rest. The kids are raising the rest of the kids in Families as both parents work. I think this is why no one responds or reacts much to anything.

We have more than half of the population either working for the government or on welfare and in those situations I think you would not want to rock the governmental boat.

When citzens heat up it is because Mcdonald's raised their prices, no one even minded the pink slime...just as long as they are keeping the $1.00 burger.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I too believe the film is prophetic.

I asked for my tubes to be tied at an NHS family planning clinic and was basically laughed out of the door for being too young, too single and too child free.

I was twenty seven at the time.

I obviously don't know my own mind and am stupid for even asking.

So yeah, DOOM ON people.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Seems things are going that way. Look at the schools now - extremely easy to complete.

Even had my boss inform me of the importance of electrolytes...I had to hide my smirk. He's not the brightest individual.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

ProfessorChaos

The point I was trying to make in that quote was that my reaction isn't to the society depicted in the film, but rather, it's similarity to what I see in my everyday life when I leave my home.

I know but you also mentioned the potential future three times in your OP. Bob Hope did plenty of movies that skewered contemporary culture but people didn't overreact the way they do to Idiocracy. For two thousand years (at least) some people have wanted to believe that they were the pinnacle of human achievement and everything that would follow them was going to be going downhill. I don't care what time period anyone goes to, they'll see the same stuff they see today for the most part.

It's just a movie about an average dude who decided to stop following and getting out of the way, when it comes to over-analysis leave that to pseudo-intellectual pinheads who try to make the case that the creator of Beavis and Butthead was really trying to make some deep, hidden statement about welfare reform.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   

intrptr

Sorry to overwhelm you like that if I did. I don't normally put out like that, but you seem to have an inquiring mind that wants to know as much about the world around you as you can. Movies area a good way to digest information, even though the plot or story line is contrived, earlier films tend to expose more truth in them than they do today. Enjoy at your insure. If you are at all like me you enjoy favorites more than once. Some of those are cult classics.

One more for you…

Silkwood

No problem, I appreciate each and every recommendation. Thanks again!

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Goteborg

ProfessorChaos

I don't care what time period anyone goes to, they'll see the same stuff they see today for the most part.

I certainly hope you're correct.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Lol that's such a funny movie. Yes it's scary to think that that could be our future. I don't want there to be a guy named Not Sure as president.

I first saw this film when Carl's Jr came to Canada & I heard how many were opening in Canada. The food is complete garbage & it's sad that it's now in Canada.

I wish that we could take the reigns back & change the education system. It needs to be that each child is taught to their learning method & if they fail then they must repeat the grade again. We need to start taking care of each other not just letting people slip between the cracks of society. It is true when it they say that it takes a village to raise a child & if we actually started to do that then it could have long reaching benefits.
edit on 13-4-2014 by knoledgeispower because: added more

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   

ProfessorChaos
As the title states, I have just finished watching the film, 'Idiocracy', for the first time, and I have to say, sadly, it has got to be the most potentially prophetic film that I have ever viewed.

Seriously, I'm a little depressed over this; not surprised, mind you, but just a little depressed.

I had heard from several people that if I hadn't seen this film, I needed to. They were correct.

Now, I realize that it's just a movie, and it really doesn't depict the future of mankind, but it does depict a potential future for our race, that, quite frankly, seems extremely likely, given the state of society at present.

I feel that the most depressing part of this film is that even if we, as a race, knew we were headed in this direction, collectively, we wouldn't take the necessary steps to stop it.

Am I a pessimist? Probably, but I just don't have much faith in humanity. I realize that there will be some (or many) of you that will tell me that I'm overreacting to the movie, and that may be true in a sense, but I think that what I'm reacting to is what I see everyday on the streets, in the stores, and at work.

Here's hoping that my misgivings about Humanity are misplaced.
edit on 4/13/2014 by ProfessorChaos because: Typo

This film has a somber effect. For the first few minutes you are watching a comedy. Then it starts to sink in that in a lot of ways, this is EXACTLY where we are headed. Its a funny movie nonetheless.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   

openminded2011

ProfessorChaos
As the title states, I have just finished watching the film, 'Idiocracy', for the first time, and I have to say, sadly, it has got to be the most potentially prophetic film that I have ever viewed.

Seriously, I'm a little depressed over this; not surprised, mind you, but just a little depressed.

I had heard from several people that if I hadn't seen this film, I needed to. They were correct.

Now, I realize that it's just a movie, and it really doesn't depict the future of mankind, but it does depict a potential future for our race, that, quite frankly, seems extremely likely, given the state of society at present.

I feel that the most depressing part of this film is that even if we, as a race, knew we were headed in this direction, collectively, we wouldn't take the necessary steps to stop it.

Am I a pessimist? Probably, but I just don't have much faith in humanity. I realize that there will be some (or many) of you that will tell me that I'm overreacting to the movie, and that may be true in a sense, but I think that what I'm reacting to is what I see everyday on the streets, in the stores, and at work.

Here's hoping that my misgivings about Humanity are misplaced.
edit on 4/13/2014 by ProfessorChaos because: Typo

This film has a somber effect. For the first few minutes you are watching a comedy. Then it starts to sink in that in a lot of ways, this is EXACTLY where we are headed. Its a funny movie nonetheless.

I definitely liked the movie, but you're right that the effect can be a somber one, especially if the viewer is conscious of the world around them.
edit on 4/13/2014 by ProfessorChaos because: typo

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Goteborg

For two thousand years (at least) some people have wanted to believe that they were the pinnacle of human achievement and everything that would follow them was going to be going downhill.

Sometimes they were right. Many "civilized" nations have become empires and destroyed themselves in the process. So no matter how good things start out they tend to end up burned to the ground. Anyone that pointed out the folly they were heading into was spurned as overdramatic and discredited, just like you just did.

I don't care what time period anyone goes to, they'll see the same stuff they see today for the most part.

Thats about as ignorant a statement as one can make. This modern world is first of its kind on earth. And we are choking on the runoff from our technical "civilized" infrastructure. The sheer number of people, the destruction of environment, the rape of resources, pollution and the wars perpetrated the last 100 years or so, have no parallel in history.

Stay tuned, The best "toys" haven't even come into play yet.

OP add, "Dr. Strangelove (or how I learned to love the bomb)"

and "One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest".

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   

ProfessorChaos

Yes, it is a good documentary.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I'm going to sound like a total ass when I say this, but Idiocracy isn't so much a prophetic film or social commentary about the influx of ads, the commercialization of life, the destabilization of the educational system, and the rampant destruction of free thought within society. No, see, this movie was about something else:

Idiocracy put forward the notion that there is an issue in being the smartest person in the room and failing to live up to your potential. It's a rekindling of the idea of "to whom much is given, much is demanded." While the themes I mentioned earlier are in the film, they simply serve as a backdrop to present the idea that society's greatest and most influential minds are actually being struck "stupid" by cynicism, negativity, and a feeling of hopelessness in regards to the future.

tl;dr - Idiocracy is a film that presents the idea that the greatest minds must act, least they become lost, misguided, and swept away by cynical thought and blind indignation. If the great minds fail to do so, then they not only allow the problem to perpetuate, but they aggravate it by engendering the same forms of thoughts into other hidden geniuses; thus, starting a vicious cycle and a perpetuation of the problem.

an actual tl;dr - Idiocracy is a fine work of art that whispers to the viewer, "Everyone will, without a doubt, regret the words you never said."

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join