It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Plans Permanent Manned Moon Base "FOREVER"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   

DietJoke
reply to post by greencmp

If i was to indulge in nationalistic fervor ... then I'd like Australia to also partake in such a race!

But my country is backwards when it comes to a space industry!

To focus back on the Russians ... how would a permanent Russian Moon base affect Global politics?

Reminds me of that great Sam Neill movie "The Dish"

Well, possession is 9/10ths of the law when it comes to property, treaty or no treaty. Easier to get forgiveness than permission, etc. and on...

The key to the moon is the helium 3 and the water which is concentrated in the polar region.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Okay
I have decided, I will give up my US citizenship.
Russia is looking forward, in the direction I wanna go
So, I'll take my vote there

The country I live in now says 'sactions' equal action

NOPE

X

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I'm serious
If I am going to live under a dictator who puts in place the laws he likes
I am all for the guy that says we have a vast explored territory that we can occupy
Its time we...yupp humans grow beyond our borders

X

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 04:04 AM
link   

I would really like to ask Putin what color the sky is in his world..

Xcouncil=wisdom
I'm serious
If I am going to live under a dictator who puts in place the laws he likes
I am all for the guy that says we have a vast explored territory that we can occupy
Its time we...yupp humans grow beyond our borders

X

The problem you are going to run into is -

Everyone is equal, but some are more equal than others.

Just because he wants to send people into space does not mean you can just volunteer for it and you go. It will take a lot of things to get to that point, and chances are you will most likely be working on them so they can send prominent Russians into space.

But if you think its better - good luck.
edit on 13-4-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-4-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 05:33 AM
link   
This is just nationalistic blabbering. I am sure the technology is there to stick a few guinea pigs on the Moon. However, look at the cost and complication of running the ISS and you may understand the challenge. Russia is not up to it, IMHO. At the moment, no nation is up to it.

The real goal in space is currently the hard science being led primarily by NASA and the ESA. China and Russia can play the "look at us" game, but the James Webb Space Telescope will be more useful to mankind and the PLATO mission will certainly help define our place in the cosmos. There are some really exciting missions happening and being planned, but we know which ones the press will report!

James Webb Space tele
PLATO

Regards

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

If Russians actually go to the Moon, and try to set up a base, they will quickly be back, because they will discover the same thing that NASA did...Someone else has colonised our Moon./

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Well, possession is 9/10ths of the law when it comes to property, treaty or no treaty. Easier to get forgiveness than permission, etc. and on...

The key to the moon is the helium 3 and the water which is concentrated in the polar region.

Lets count out the moon He3 as a useful fuel source when Russia could easily mine ANTI MATTER!

www.astronomynow.com...

A belt of antimatter has been discovered circling the Earth, which in future could be used to fuel voyages that race at breakneck speeds to other planets in the Solar System.

There is probably one also around Venus, Jupiter, Saturn and the Sun!

So fuel wise I think the Russians have better choices and this means that it is more about land grab for land grabs sake with the He3 as a cherry on top ... rather than for the He3 itself primarily.

Now the south pole of the moon registered the coldest place in the solar system ...

Moon is coldest known place in the solar system

The [moons] craters' towering rims block the sun from reaching their centres, like the long shadows cast by tall buildings at dusk. In this permanent darkness, they stay at a constant -240 °Celsius – more than 30 °C above absolute zero and 10 °C cooler than Pluto's dayside, which was measured at -230 °C in 2006.

"The lunar south pole is among the coldest parts of the solar system and may be in fact colder than what we expect from places like Pluto," NASA scientist Richard Vondrak said at a press conference on Thursday.

And sure water is there ... but maybe they want that super cold region to be able to easily run stuff that needs cryo level temperatures ... like super conductors ... for maybe huge particle accelerators ... for god knows what nefarious and or militarized scientific reasons.

We need to think beyond the plainly obvious here as its the Russians and they are REALLY good at chess!

edit on 13/4/2014 by DietJoke because: Edited to fix broken url tag

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   

greencmp
we may have a space race on our hands ladies and gentlemen.

Oh god I hope so.

It's about freak'n time people reached for the moon again. Next up ... MARS.

We went to the Air and Space Smithsonian this week. In the past, there have been mockups of what is coming. Mockups of what we are working on. This time there weren't any. It was sad. We no longer strive for excellence or innovation. We just say 'who's your baby daddy ... do you want large fries with that?'.

Space race? Excellent!! It's about freak'n time.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Oh! they'll be going alright, virtually free energy source, solar, virtually perpetual motion.
It's like everybody and their granny has a sudden, renewed enthusiasm to nosy round the Moon again, it's not just Russia I'm sure.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Arnie123

You know I was thinking how hard could it be on the moon as opposed to the space station in orbit....you could do structures that automatically inflate...then send a team or robot to hook up all the structures....I know that inflatable structure tech has been around for a long time but I dont know how hard it would be to maintain it on the moon. Id wager they could do it but would it be cost efficient? Im actually reading the moon is harsh mistress right now by henlein haha..

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   

cosmicexplorer
reply to post by Arnie123

You know I was thinking how hard could it be on the moon as opposed to the space station in orbit....you could do structures that automatically inflate...then send a team or robot to hook up all the structures....I know that inflatable structure tech has been around for a long time but I dont know how hard it would be to maintain it on the moon. Id wager they could do it but would it be cost efficient? Im actually reading the moon is harsh mistress right now by henlein haha..

It is inevitable that we use the moon as a stepping stone to the solar system.

Heinlein is great!

“There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Didn't Russia (then the USSR) say they were going to do this 50 years ago, too? --

-- Complete with all the propaganda posters of what their colonies would look like.

I'll believe it when I see it.

At least if Putin wears a cosmonaut uniform, he won't be traipsing around barechested as much.
edit on 4/13/2014 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   

cosmicexplorer
You know I was thinking how hard could it be on the moon as opposed to the space station in orbit....you could do structures that automatically inflate..
Hard.

The space station has a lot of radiation protection from the Earth's magnetic field, so that's one problem a moon base will face since they will have no such protection.

Also, the moon is pelted with micrometeorites traveling 10 times faster than a speeding bullet which make small craters in the metal of the space station but may puncture inflatable structures causing leaks, so I wouldn't like to live in inflatable structures on the moon for that reason.

Using the old underground lava tubes on the moon called "rilles" would provide radiation shielding and protection from micrometeorites, though they could be subject to collapse so they have their own risk, but I figure the rilles that haven't collapsed yet can't be too fragile.

In any case both the US and USSR planned moon bases in around 1970 and they had a better chance of happening in that era. I don't think we'll see moon bases anytime soon, but if we do I wouldn't be surprised if China is the first to set one up.

edit on 13-4-2014 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   

DietJoke

Lets count out the moon He3 as a useful fuel source when Russia could easily mine ANTI MATTER!

www.astronomynow.com...

A belt of antimatter has been discovered circling the Earth, which in future could be used to fuel voyages that race at breakneck speeds to other planets in the Solar System.

There is probably one also around Venus, Jupiter, Saturn and the Sun!

So fuel wise I think the Russians have better choices and this means that it is more about land grab for land grabs sake with the He3 as a cherry on top ... rather than for the He3 itself primarily.

Now the south pole of the moon registered the coldest place in the solar system ...

Moon is coldest known place in the solar system

The [moons] craters' towering rims block the sun from reaching their centres, like the long shadows cast by tall buildings at dusk. In this permanent darkness, they stay at a constant -240 °Celsius – more than 30 °C above absolute zero and 10 °C cooler than Pluto's dayside, which was measured at -230 °C in 2006.

"The lunar south pole is among the coldest parts of the solar system and may be in fact colder than what we expect from places like Pluto," NASA scientist Richard Vondrak said at a press conference on Thursday.

And sure water is there ... but maybe they want that super cold region to be able to easily run stuff that needs cryo level temperatures ... like super conductors ... for maybe huge particle accelerators ... for god knows what nefarious and or militarized scientific reasons.

We need to think beyond the plainly obvious here as its the Russians and they are REALLY good at chess!

edit on 13/4/2014 by DietJoke because: Edited to fix broken url tag

Antimatter is cool but, there isn't enough available (in our belt anyway). Whereas, the sea of tranquility alone contains 8,000 tons of helium 3. That is a "permanent solution" level of energy.

But yeah, land grab for sure. They may play chess well but, they aren't as competent at go.

edit on 13-4-2014 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   

ausername
Once they put up their flag and have a permanent staff living in a moon base, its officially Russian federation territory.

First Ukraine, then eastern Europe, then the moon.... Then Mars?

lol

He said it isn't a race, I don't think they are taking it over. Headline is misleading. They are just doing something that the US has done, but instead of going a few pointless times for nothing besides the coolness of it, they are looking at making a moon base. Something the US should have done back during Apollo.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I like the idea of a permenant moonbase,but I can't help thinking this is just another part of Putins strategy to make America look weak..
NASA can't aford it anymore,so Putin and co say they will do it instead,to have another little dig at the USA.
However,
If I was in control of such project,I would first send up a few tunneling robots,which would burrow very deep under the moon surface to hopefully greatly reduce the amount of solar radiation/meteor damage.
Of course,lots of different entry and exit tunnels would be spread out over a vast distance on the surface, to allow the underground base to be able to keep operating if one or more of the entrances were hit by space rocks.
Then more robots would seal and pressurize the tunnels,and would start to build the actual base before astronaughts arrived.
For power I would have a load of mobile solar arrays,on tank tracks which could hopefully move out of the way of any incoming rocks.

Also before the humans arrived,I would have a team of "avatar" type robots-controlled remotley by humans on the ISS/Earth which would move around and test all the systems in the base to make sure they all worked safely first.

I am still not sure someone hasn't done something like this or at least tried it years ago,under a black budget veil of secrecy.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

They can't afford it, the Russians are better off taking the Chinese Jade rabbit approach to boost national morale instead, what Putin is doing is grandiose posturing and we all know that the only thing good that comes of a space program are jobs, research and development and a lab of sorts to invent new things that we can use right here on earth off of the taxpayers dime.

The Russians seem to have missed the history lesson of the last 50 years, that at some point balancing huge amounts of money budgeted for defense and then throwing it into the money pit of a space program will end up completely destroying their economy, all I say is good luck and the first thing they have to do is get us all some new 1080P footage and pictures since neither the technologically advanced Chinese mission or the U.S. could seem to do so , we're tired of looking at all of the same 40 and 50 year old pictures , and if they do actually reach it have the first cosmonauts that land 249 million miles away get some photo ops with our flag .

Lets face the facts, if the U.S. has done what really amounts to absolutely nothing at least not letting the world know otherwise , they virtually abandoned all of the efforts and money spent to reach it, have not added onto or even built a structure that would even serve for observation and study there, that would be the things you would do if you discovered a piece of real estate and were serious about development.

5 things I ponder on as to why we have not been back.
(when I say man I mean U.S. man and those around the world bound by high occult organizational knowledge associated with the eye which includes Putin )

No man has ever reached the moon.
Man reached the moon but found that it was occupied.
Man knows we were only lucky to have reached it and further trips would be too risky and there is a high failure rate involved.
Man cannot even leave low earth orbit without risking death there is a 100% chance of that happening .
Man cannot afford it and such efforts long term are unsustainable by any existing economy.

edit on 13-4-2014 by phinubian because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Interesting ...never even thought of going underground....i bet google is buying all the robots to colonize the moon hahah....i suppose machines could dig quite a bit for us

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Silcone Synapse
I like the idea of a permenant moonbase,but I can't help thinking this is just another part of Putins strategy to make America look weak..
NASA can't aford it anymore,so Putin and co say they will do it instead,to have another little dig at the USA.
However,
If I was in control of such project,I would first send up a few tunneling robots,which would burrow very deep under the moon surface to hopefully greatly reduce the amount of solar radiation/meteor damage.
Of course,lots of different entry and exit tunnels would be spread out over a vast distance on the surface, to allow the underground base to be able to keep operating if one or more of the entrances were hit by space rocks.
Then more robots would seal and pressurize the tunnels,and would start to build the actual base before astronaughts arrived.
For power I would have a load of mobile solar arrays,on tank tracks which could hopefully move out of the way of any incoming rocks.

Also before the humans arrived,I would have a team of "avatar" type robots-controlled remotley by humans on the ISS/Earth which would move around and test all the systems in the base to make sure they all worked safely first.

I am still not sure someone hasn't done something like this or at least tried it years ago,under a black budget veil of secrecy.

The problem is that pretty much everything should be manufactured on site. It would be very hard to ship a TBM up there, maybe a laser boring machine?

The weirdest thing was that story about the moon ringing like a bell.

in November, 1969, after seismometers were set up on the moon's surface by the astronauts of Apollo 12. As the astronauts took off for Earth, the ascent stage of the lunar module was discarded and it fell onto the moon's surface. It created a tremor that was picked up by the seismometers. NASA found that the Moon was "ringing like a bell" and continued to do so for around an hour.

edit on 13-4-2014 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

The ringing like a bell thing may suggest there are hollow areas in the moon-if you could get to one such area you would save on loads of tunneling costs.
That would be awesome,convert a moon mega cavern into a base.
Like I said before,send robots to build it all.

<< 1    3  4 >>

join