It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Plans Permanent Manned Moon Base "FOREVER"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Alright Putin, you're on. If this posturing and blather isn't simply reminiscent of his former employers, we may have a space race on our hands ladies and gentlemen.

Is Vlad keen on a trip? Putin eyes up cosmonaut uniform as his deputy premier sets out plans to colonise space and declares 'We are coming to the Moon FOREVER'

The West fears Russia is poised to invade Ukraine, but it seems the Kremlin has a bigger conquest in its sights - the Moon.
Moscow today set out plans to conquer and colonise space, including a permanent manned moon base.
Deputy premier Dmitry Rogozin said: 'We are coming to the moon forever.'
His comments came as President Vladimir Putin toured the Cosmonautics Memorial Museum in Moscow. On Saturday, Russia celebrates Cosmonaut Day marking Yuri Gagarin's pioneering flight into space on April 12, 1961.

He wrote of 'colonisation of the moon and near-moon space'.
In the next 50 years, manned flights are unlikely beyond 'the space between Venus and Mars'.
But 'it is quite possible to speak about exploration of Mars, flights to asteroids and flights to Mars'.
The essential first step as a base for research and experiments was the moon, said Rogozin, who is in overall charge of Russia's space and defence industries, and was recently targeted for EU and US sanctions over the Ukrainian crisis.
'The moon is not an intermediate point in the race,' he wrote in official daily Rossiiskaya Gazeta, conjuring an impression of a new space race with America.
'It is a separate, even a self-contained goal.
'It would hardly be rational to make some ten or 20 flights to the moon, and then wind it all up and fly to the Mars or some asteroids.
'This process has the beginning, but has no end. We are coming to the moon forever.'
Currently, Russia has plans to launch three lunar spacecraft - two to the surface and one to orbit - by the end of the decade.
The first mission, the long-delayed Luna-25, is slated for launch in 2016, to research the moon's  south pole.
The next two missions will include an orbiter to monitor the moon in 2018, and a year later a polar lander with a drill will search for water ice.

edit on 12-4-2014 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Once they put up their flag and have a permanent staff living in a moon base, its officially Russian federation territory.

First Ukraine, then eastern Europe, then the moon.... Then Mars?

lol

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Should be interesting.

But this space race may already be over with...
The advent of the privatized space juggernaut is in full swing, its not a race between nations, but corporations, something that russia will have to face.

Truth is, can we even call it a space race? if russia is going to the moon...forever, then they are going.

I don't think they have it in them. They have the rockets, but lack the technological prowess the US has as far as space based systems go, an I say that because the private sector is going to go with US space knowledge as far this goes.

Good thread, S&F
edit on 12-4-2014 by Arnie123 because: I added info

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

My money is Russia setting up a perm base before US. Frankly there is no legitimate reason for why the US couldn't of established a base there in 1980s, but having not done that they are virtually back at square one.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Arnie123

I don't think they have it in them. They have the rockets, but lack the technological prowess the US has as far as space based systems go, an I say that because the private sector is going to go with US space knowledge as far this goes. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

The US got there on 1960s tech, I think the Russian have more than enough technological prowess to accomplish this goal.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Arnie123
Should be interesting.

The advent of the privatized space juggernaut is in full swing, its not a race between nations, but corporations, something that russia will have to face.

Truth is, can we even call it a space race? if russia is going to the moon...forever, then they are going.

I don't think they have it in them. They have the rockets, but lack the technological prowess the US has as far as space based systems go, an I say that because the private sector is going to go with US space knowledge as far this goes.

Good thread, S&F

Well, we know what they think of other treaties they have signed so why should we assume that they will honor the moon treaty?

It will be interesting to see how SpaceX fits into this.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Obama will be on hand at the ribbon cutting ceremony to proudly announce...

"You didn't build that moon base"

Des

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   

greencmp

Arnie123
Should be interesting.

Good thread, S&F

Well, we know what they think of other treaties they have signed so why should we assume that they will honor the moon treaty?

It will be interesting to see how SpaceX fits into this.

--
True that.

Of course....we can always hope whoever "It" was that booted us off the moon may have a few things to say to our russian counterparts........

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I'll believe it when it happens.

The Russians plan to do a lot of things in space.....that end up not happening.

Same with NASA: they have a lot of plans, but only certain ones get approved, or that they have funding for.

Who will get back to the moon first with a human being on board?

Answer: Whoever puts their money where their mouth is and actually does it.

So at this point, I'd have to say: private corporation more than likely.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   

I hope they're smart enough to do one thing: Carry up something similar to the Rosetta Stone for the reincarnation of Arken to spot and debate with others. A permanent structure on the moon probably won't draw the destructive nature of man's attention.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

--
I'm not saying they don't have the technological prowess, but having it in them is another thing.

As long as russia continues on its current path, there won't be any money for them to pull that off, I mean...we are talking about a trillion dollar operation here, that's a heck of a lot of money and time.

I know, I know...people are going to say it can be done cheaper, but colonizing the moon? You just can't afford mistakes, you gotta pour exponential capital into this.

Ill tell you what, pulling this off would be a definite edge as far as resources, military and nationalism goes...
a defining achievement for all of mankind, that's for sure.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   
They might be surprised what meets them there...

"I found a list of officers' names," he claims, "under the heading 'Non-Terrestrial Officers'."

"Non-Terrestrial Officers?" I say.

"Yeah, I looked it up," says Gary, "and it's nowhere. It doesn't mean little green men. What I think it means is not earth-based. I found a list of 'fleet-to-fleet transfers', and a list of ship names. I looked them up. They weren't US navy ships. What I saw made me believe they have some kind of spaceship, off-planet."

"The Americans have a secret spaceship?" I ask.

"That's what this trickle of evidence has led me to believe."

"Some kind of other Mir that nobody knows about?"

"I guess so," says Gary.

"What were the ship names?"

Gary McKinnon has been accused of committing the 'biggest military computer hack of all time',

just sayin.
edit on 12-4-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Arnie123
Should be interesting.

Good thread, S&F

I don't think that corporations would bother putting much investment into a new sector that is competing with a national program. I think NASA cancelling it's shuttle program was essentially a green light to corporations to start investing. Now that Russia is going to double down?...

This is a good thing. I am not behind the the thinking that a free market space sector is a good idea. Markets destroy everything in it's path.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Everything from the cold war era gets a remake as it seems... another space race?
Sure, it's not like we have any problems to solve back on good old earth.

I agree with Arnie123, I doubt Russia alone has the means, but let's see. Maybe in corporation with China/Brasil?

greencmp

I thought treaties in general don't matter anymore?

Also, DER MOND IST DEUTSCH!!

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   

I'm glad somebody is intent on space travel/colonization. We sure in he'll aren't.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   

In the next 50 years, manned flights are unlikely beyond 'the space between Venus and Mars'. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

This ^^^ is a damning indictment on the limits we place on ourselves and here is why ...

Project Orion (nuclear propulsion): Interplanetary applications

The Orion nuclear pulse rocket design has extremely high performance. Orion nuclear pulse rockets using nuclear fission type pulse units were originally intended for use on interplanetary space flights.

Missions that were designed for an Orion vehicle in the original project included single stage (i.e., directly from Earth's surface) to Mars and back, and a trip to one of the moons of Saturn.

Project Orion: Saturn by 1970 By George Dyson Posted November 20th, 2007 11:54 am

The 4,000-ton, single-stage Orion vehicle proposed in 1958 was intended to deliver 1,600 tons to a 300-mile orbit, 1,200 tons to a soft lunar landing, or 800 tons to a Mars orbit and return to a 300-mile orbit around the Earth. An “Advanced Interplanetary Ship,” powered by 15-kiloton bombs, with a takeoff weight of 10,000 tons, was envisioned as 185 feet in diameter and 280 feet in height. Payload to a 300-mile orbit was 6,100 tons, to a soft lunar landing 5,700 tons, or to a landing on an inner satellite of Saturn and return to a 300-mile Earth orbit — a three-year round-trip — 1,300 tons.

So pre 1960's, 50+yrs ago, we had a design that would have cost similar to the Apollo project and could have been built in the same amount of time, that would take us to Saturn and back in 3 years!

And yet we are being told that we wont progress beyond the orbits of Venus and Mars for the next 50yrs.

Chemical rocketry is holding us back!

Maybe Russia's plan is to set up a Moon Base so they can build Project Orion, avoiding a whole host of problems, and go far beyond the orbits of Venus and Mars way before the Chinese or the USA can get there?

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   

GroidNificent

I'm glad somebody is intent on space travel/colonization. We sure in he'll aren't.

I think the Russians are more intent on the militarization of the moon. Not scientific advancement.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   
OMG. The Russian claim for the moon is so yesterday...

Yemenis Claim Mars

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   

DietJoke
Chemical rocketry is holding us back!

Maybe Russia's plan is to set up a Moon Base so they can build Project Orion, avoiding a whole host of problems, and go far beyond the orbits of Venus and Mars way before the Chinese or the USA can get there?

How right you are, I believe the best way forward is through private space ventures myself but, if there is another moon race by gum, the USA will run it.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   

If i was to indulge in nationalistic fervor ... then I'd like Australia to also partake in such a race!

But my country is backwards when it comes to a space industry!

To focus back on the Russians ... how would a permanent Russian Moon base affect Global politics?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join