It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why all the earthquakes recently?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
OP; Its probably because you haven't been following the data for very long, we just had a long spell with no M7's so now it may seem they are dumping a few at once.
Generally 2014 has been quiet compared with other years so far.
The answers are in my signature

edit on 0400000010110114 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I wouldn't be too sure. I can only speak for local events (Oklahoma) but from what I saw (crossposting this bit from the OK quake thread)...

From 1882-2009:
13 4.0+ quakes.

From 2010-NOW:
20 4.0+ quakes.

Of those 20...
3/21 - 4.0M
3/30 - 4.1M
3/30 - 4.3M
3/30 - 4.3M
4/6 - 4.2M
4/7 - 4.4M (rev. 4.2M)
4/10 - 4.1M

...7 have happened in the last month.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Maybe the increased temperature affects the plates during the transition from winter to spring, seeing as how seasons affect the planet globally. Some plates probably get more affected then others due to them having hotter climates, and maybe how the planet gets closer to the sun during the orbit.
edit on 13-4-2014 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Conspiracyskeptic

I suggest you follow m.youtube.com... he posts a vid every morning around 6 am eastern and he lays everything out in fairly easy to understand terms. Check it out. I watch the daily vid every morning before I even get out of bed!

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 03:07 AM
link   

br0ker

Ice caps are melting fast! Trillions upon trillions of tonnes of weight is shifting. The plates are bound to move. You will see earthquakes more frequent and bigger. You will also see vulcanoes going off, climate change with more superweather.. Etc etc

It's is very true what you said. But simple truths like that do not sell newspapers. I live along the ring of fire and its been a very active time recently. If one studies the beaches, one realizes that man has learned not to live near the beach, but now there is mega money to be made there, such foolishness to live so near the beach. Tsunamis are always an unexpected toll on mankind. In the past no one lived so close to the beaches, they only had their boats there. You mention volcanoes, well, they too was to express themselves. Don't live near them. Simple to understand but hard not to obey the laws of nature.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 03:18 AM
link   
There are always large quakes around the Solomon Islands.
The quakes aren't increasing in frequency but they do appear to be increasing in strength or magnitude IMO

It could have something to do with the magnetosphere from solar flares. I don't know.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by violet

I wonder what it must be like to live in the Soloman Islands? The pictures look beautiful.

If you're just looking for theories - I would recommend youtube and look for theories on Nibiru coming - there's lots to see on youtube.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   

aLLeKs
I am pretty sure if muzzy, puterman or trueamerican will see this thread, they will post their evidence, that there are not more earthquake this year than last year.
It just appears to you that it is more, because we did not have a 7+ for a too long time and this stress gets released now.
This can happen.

Certainly up until the present time 2014 has had considerebly fewer earthquakes and the amount of energy released has been much smaller than some years.

The current events in the Solomon Islands appear to be very similar to a series of quakes in 1977

Date, Lat, Lon, Mag, Depth, Location
1977-04-20T23:13:10.400Z, -9.828, 160.323, 6.7 Ms, 33.0, Solomon Islands
1977-04-20T23:42:50.500Z, -9.890, 160.348, 7.5 Ms, 19.0, Solomon Islands
1977-04-20T23:49:13.100Z, -9.844, 160.822, 7.5 Ms, 33.0, Solomon Islands
1977-04-21T00:02:49.000Z, -9.673, 160.132, 6.1 Mb, 33.0, Solomon Islands
1977-04-21T04:24:09.600Z, -9.965, 160.731, 7.5 Ms, 33.0, Solomon Islands
1977-04-21T07:18:51.100Z, -10.245, 160.728, 6.0 Ms, 33.0, Solomon Islands
1977-04-22T03:11:00.200Z, -10.168, 160.657, 6.0 Ms, 51.0, Solomon Islands

There was a lesser series in 1978

Date, Lat, Lon, Mag, Depth, Location
1978-11-04T22:29:22.100Z, -11.230, 162.176, 6.9 Ms, 33.0, Solomon Islands
1978-11-04T22:51:54.600Z, -11.178, 162.085, 6.0 Ms, 33.0, Solomon Islands
1978-11-05T22:02:07.100Z, -11.132, 162.136, 7.1 Ms, 33.0, Solomon Islands
1978-11-07T17:33:59.500Z, -10.996, 162.221, 6.1 Ms, 33.0, Solomon Islands

There have been other similar clusters of events in later years but the current cluster best approximates the 1977 events.

(Data from ANSS)

There are a few things that exhibit cyclical behaviour, including the Sun, earthquakes and cicadas!

I don't think the current events are anything out of the ordinary.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   

br0ker

Ice caps are melting fast! Trillions upon trillions of tonnes of weight is shifting. The plates are bound to move. You will see earthquakes more frequent and bigger. You will also see vulcanoes going off, climate change with more superweather.. Etc etc

This has no basis in science, think about it. We have only heard about much melting of ice in the Arctic, and what is Arctic ice on top of? Water. There has been some melting on Greenland but not enough to affect tectonic plates, and there has been little melting in the Antarctic where the largest ice cap in the world is.

The have been many more large earthquakes over the past decade or so starting with the Indonesian one in 2004, but the are not due to melting ice.

Does the rise in earthquakes have anything to do with the rise in other phenomenon like the rise in fireballs, sinkholes, strange trumpet noises..........

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Happy1
reply to post by violet

I wonder what it must be like to live in the Soloman Islands? The pictures look beautiful.

right now it would be HELL if you were in Honiara, which just a week or so ago was nearly wiped off the face of the earth by flooding, now this series of quakes 7.2, 7.4, 7.6 looks like they could be in for a M8 with accompanying Tsunami.
All those South Pacific islands look nice, but the reality is that most of the people live a subsistence or aid subsidized existence.
There is always the threat of Cyclones, Flooding and Earthquakes that keep knocking back any progress.
An associate of mine recently spent some time in Fiji on business, away from the tourist lodges, in the regions, he was saying it was like England back in the 1700's, no sewerage, dogs wandering the streets ........... no internet!
The Solomons was also in the last decade subject to ethnic conflict/civil war. A friend of mine was in RAMSI, said the place is a dump.
edit on 0400000010210214 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
HAARP!
Tricksie govt scientists..

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by FriedBabelBroccoli

The above link merely provides a nice graph to express the numbers.

From your source:

However, this trend needs to be understood in relation to the increase in seismographs. Certainly, in the last 25 years, more lower intensity earthquakes have been noticed because of a general increase in the number of seismograph stations across the world and improved global communications. This increase has helped seismological centres to locate many small earthquakes which were undetected in earlier decades. Therefore, an upward trend is not unexpected in the graph, although the rise in the number of large earthquakes will be of more significance to our assessment of the trend.
www.earth.webecs.co.uk...

So has there been an increase in large earthquakes? Here is a chart of earthquakes greater than 6.9, 1900-2013.
There seems to be a slight downward trend.

Data Source

edit on 4/13/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

PlanetXisHERE

br0ker

This has no basis in science, think about it. We have only heard about much melting of ice in the Arctic, and what is Arctic ice on top of? Water. There has been some melting on Greenland but not enough to affect tectonic plates, and there has been little melting in the Antarctic where the largest ice cap in the world is.

The have been many more large earthquakes over the past decade or so starting with the Indonesian one in 2004, but the are not due to melting ice.

Does the rise in earthquakes have anything to do with the rise in other phenomenon like the rise in fireballs, sinkholes, strange trumpet noises..........

YES! They are all connected...to increasing methane gas levels. I've proposed my theory a few times.

Fireballs...methane rising to mesosphere is allowing fireballs to penetrate deeper into the atmosphere and a little closer to the tops of our heads!

Sinkholes...Well, what you were just discussing, the plates and their movement has land subsidence events taking place all over, including landslides and land cracks. This is also the cause of earthquakes and volcanoes. It's not just land ice on Greenland that's melting. There is a great deal of permafrost thawing out in Siberia as well. All of this is adding a lot of extra weight on the thin continental shelf. It's also decreasing a lot of pressure underneath the land ice and permafrost causing tectonic plates on a world wide scale to shift and tear, thus, sinkholes. It all comes back to methane gas, the blanket in our atmosphere trapping the sun's heat 25 times more effectively than carbon dioxide warming the oceans and the air, which is causing a concerning amount of land ice and permafrost to melt.

Strange sky noise and loud booms...goes back to the causation of sinkholes, crustal movement. As gas seeps up to the surface through the ancient rocks below, it erupts with an explosion (loud booms). And for the sky noise (trumpets and metallic sounds) it may have to do with acoustic gravity waves explained here

From Professor Elchin Khalilov

We have analyzed records of these sounds and found that most of their spectrum lies within the infrasound range, i.e. is not audible to humans. What people hear is only a small fraction of the actual power of these sounds. They are low-frequency acoustic emissions in the range between 20 and 100 Hz modulated by ultra-low infrasonic waves from 0.1 to 15 Hz. In geophysics, they are called acoustic-gravity waves; they are formed in the upper atmosphere, at the atmosphere-ionosphere boundary in particular. There can be quite a lot of causes why those waves are generated: earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, hurricanes, storms, tsunamis, etc. However, the scale of the observed humming sound in terms of both the area covered and its power far exceeds those that can be generated by the above-mentioned phenomena.

He believes it must be the sun because only it would have enough energy to generate the volume of the sound as the solar winds interact with the atmosphere-ionosphere boundary, except he stated in 2011 that we were headed for a solar maximum and we'd see an increase in the noise, but we all know now that the solar maximum was a real dud and the sounds increased throughout 2012. Also, we go through a solar maximum every 11 years so why didn't we hear of these sky noise claims (at this frequency) during previous solar maximums?

The professor also stated that, "The intensification of the gravity waves can be explained by higher solar activity and activation of geodynamical processes. This is indicative of the increased risk of strong earthquakes and volcanic eruptions all over the globe in the near future.”

He was spot on as he made this prediction in 2011. Volcanoes are definitely increasing, although some will disagree. But, I don't believe it's the sun providing the energy. I believe that the sky noises aren't any stronger in power, thus the source would require less energy (earthquakes, crustal movement and rifting, fracturing, fissures) would be enough. As these gases under ground seep to the surface, they are erupting in plumes into the atmosphere and the more that releases, the thicker the blanket of methane becomes. First, the sounds may have a lot to do with the acoustic gravity wave source as described by Professor Elchin Khalilov that is heard prior to an earthquake. Well, maybe these sounds are echoing throughout the atmosphere after releasing from more than just earthquakes, but general tectonic plate movement and earth crust subsidence, which we know is happening very often right now with sinkholes, volcanoes, earthquakes, land slips and cracks.

As the sources for the sounds increased with all the earth crust movement, the methane gas in the atmosphere also increased. Maybe the increasing levels of the gas in the atmosphere, the blanket, is acting like an amplifier of sorts, allowing the sounds to increase in volume and area which allows us humans to hear them more often.

I also believe that there are other phenomenon resulting from increasing methane such as disease outbreaks, mass animal die-offs, unexplained fires and explosions and of course, the extreme weather events.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

what about an increase of MEDIUM sized quakes? i'm interested in a graph on that if there is one.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by pasiphae

Define "medium".
Keep in mind that for magnitudes less than 6.5 or so the historical record is not as reliable for the period before the mid 20th century.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Phage

The above link merely provides a nice graph to express the numbers.

From your source:

However, this trend needs to be understood in relation to the increase in seismographs. Certainly, in the last 25 years, more lower intensity earthquakes have been noticed because of a general increase in the number of seismograph stations across the world and improved global communications. This increase has helped seismological centres to locate many small earthquakes which were undetected in earlier decades. Therefore, an upward trend is not unexpected in the graph, although the rise in the number of large earthquakes will be of more significance to our assessment of the trend.
www.earth.webecs.co.uk...

So has there been an increase in large earthquakes? Here is a chart of earthquakes greater than 6.9, 1900-2013.
There seems to be a slight downward trend.

Data Source

-OP
Why are all these earthquakes happening recently?

To which someone responded that relatively current earthquake activity is business as usual. I merely linked to the data which has shown that there has been an upward trend for the last 40 or so years.

Really not sure what your point is, care to expand?

-FBB

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

My point is that the data does not really show an upward trend.
edit on 4/14/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I have a theory regarding why there are so many earthquakes at the same time. Didn't we just have a planet alignment? I think there is a link to the planets aligning and earthquakes. I remember a few years ago there was a major earthquake somewhere and it was right around the time of an alignment. Anyone remember? I could be way off but I really don't have the time to look into it.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ConcreteAngel1

Didn't we just have a planet alignment?

Define planet alignment.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Phage

My point is that the data does not really show an upward trend.
edit on 4/14/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

I seem to be unable to find the graph to which you are linking to, could you please link directly to where I could find it.

However reviewing the site you linked to here: earthquake.usgs.gov... and perusing the the Centennial Catalog (Engdahl and Villaseñor, 2002) (a pdf file) I came across a relevant series of graphs on page 6 for large quakes above 6.5.

The Centennial Catalog (Engdahl and Villaseñor, 2002) (2.75MB PDF) is a global catalog of locations and magnitudes of instrumentally recorded earthquakes from 1900 to 2008. It is being periodically updated as new arrival time data for recent years become available.

. . .

For recent years (1964–present) a cut-off magnitude of 5.5 has been chosen for the catalog, and the catalog is complete down to that threshold. For the period prior to 1964 (also referred to as "historical instrumental" or simply "historical" period) the cut-off considered is magnitude 6.5. Between the 1930's and 1963 the catalog is complete to te magnitude 6.5 threshold, but prior to that, the catalog is only complete down to magnitude 7.0.

(Typo is officially on the webpage which happens to be under construction)

Your graph excludes everything below a 6.9 despite 6.5 being the preferred cut off. Excluding anything below a 7.0 does show a slightly negative slope however when you include the rest of the valid data to 6.5 there appears to indeed be a positive slope over the last 100 years.

But I guess it would really depend on one's concept of recent and large earthquakes.

-FBB

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join