You Are Living In A Country You HATE, Where Do You Want To Live Instead?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
The grass is NOT always greener on the other side, maybe the grass you are living on is better than the one you choose.

I hear many people trash different countries all over the planet; Iran, Iraq, N.Korea, China, Russia, USA, Canada, etc.

I am a citizen of one of these countries, but I currently live in another country; at the present time I am awaiting "green card" status. I am married to a citizen of the country we are living in.

I would not be here if I did not need to be with my spouse, but I am here and I have seen first hand what the phrase "the grass is NOT always greener..." means.

There are many that would like to leave the country of their origins and go where they think things would be better; for some that is an easy choice to make. If you have no children or family to miss then you might do this without needing a reason, but would you give up citizenship or would you wait to see what the grass is like first?

I am not prepared to give up citizenship...yet...but it has crossed my mind, briefly, there are consequences to think of...I just wondered how many of you want to leave your country and where would you go?

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Just wish it wasn't limited to countries, or if it has to be, then we are all one with no borders. As it stands, maybe Iceland or just me and "Wilson" on an uninhabited island. Never quite understood why Tom Hanks wanted to get home so bad.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Give me a place without the ego greedy and their parasite schemes and I will go there without leaving this body behind. It is true that the corrupt taint is in every country more or less. The idiocy is planet wide.

Maybe humanity will evolve beyond it. If not there is always the reseed option if humanity do not make it.
edit on 12-4-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I left before. Probably for the same reason you did actually.
I went through the average experience. Went there, missed home, came home and missed there.

Actually, I would like to simply start my own civilization on some new island that popped up somewhere in the Atlantic...is that out of the question? Otherwise, I have been eyeing northern Europe. Denmark maybe..Holland...not sure, just wherever has a nice structured government to community, liberty, not big on military, big countrysides, hopping cities, etc
Problem is, I don't speak the Danish language. Then again, many of em there do have a secondary English.

Alternatively, I do like the UK, but I am worried about their trending towards censorship. I see them pushing towards Australian levels of censorship that treats their entire population as a bunch of kids.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Im content where I am,

I love the land, and the people.

Don't agree so much with those in government though.

Ill ride this country out, I like it far to much to want to move permanently elsewhere.

Fairly well traveled, where I am just fits me.

Flaws and all, its my home.

The wife and I have played with the idea of moving abroad, (south american countries) when we perhaps retire, I think thats less likely though.

Id rather just stay here.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   

minkmouse
Never quite understood why Tom Hanks wanted to get home so bad.

Dorito shelled tacos

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   

SaturnFX

minkmouse

Dorito shelled tacos

There it was, staring me right in the face

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   

minkmouse

SaturnFX

minkmouse

Dorito shelled tacos

There it was, staring me right in the face

for damn sure wasn't Helen Hunt, of course it was for the Doritos loco tacos.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I love Sweden and I want to stay here.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
If I could go somewhere where I could live more or less just me and my family ... I'd be seriously tempted. And when I say family, I mean extended family because I do like them for the most part. I'd want some space between us. I'd also want some access to the wider world, but on my terms.

Maybe a nice pocket dimension ...

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I don't consider myself a citizen of anything. One day, I'll say I am human from Terra of Sol.

Until then Earth is my home. All those dividing lines, all the divisions and classifications promote conflict over rights and resources.

If people would just behave the way they know is right in their heart, we'd all get along fine.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Aeboro
I love Sweden and I want to stay here.

I've made the call....You can stay

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by minkmouse

Feel free to choose another planet, solar system, galaxy, universe, dimension...I suspect the same thing applies, the grass is not always greener.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleByLittle

I suspect you are correct...greed and corruption exist everywhere...even in the most rural of areas. There is another factor, where would you go to escape the reality of natural catastrophes? I think that too is a pick your own poison type of situation...would you rather perish in a tornado or an earthquake?

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   

soulpowertothendegree
reply to post by minkmouse

Feel free to choose another planet, solar system, galaxy, universe, dimension...I suspect the same thing applies, the grass is not always greener.

Where you are is where you are

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   

soulpowertothendegree
reply to post by LittleByLittle

I suspect you are correct...greed and corruption exist everywhere...even in the most rural of areas. There is another factor, where would you go to escape the reality of natural catastrophes? I think that too is a pick your own poison type of situation...would you rather perish in a tornado or an earthquake?

Natural catastrophes can be avoided if you have information on them and choose to avoid them. Some days I feel like leaving this experience of being spirit playing human behind. But I have my reasons for staying at least a while longer.

edit on 12-4-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by soulpowertothendegree

the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. At least until you are on the other side of the fence.

It is my experience that, in general, people who absolutely hate where they live, will also not be happy after they move.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
As an addendum, I would also add: If you grow up in an area and think of that as home, often other places will not satisfy to the same degree.

The key is this:

No matter where you go, there you are.

If you must be there, make the best of it. A positive attitude and actually trying to find things to like is hugely more satisfying than deciding that "this place sucks" and being a depressed sad sack.

People with a positive outlook in life are much more likely to enjoy where they live, than those with a negative view of life.

You have the power to choose. It may not be easy, may not be quickly done, but you do have choice.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Yeah im happy here in England but if I could I would like to live and work in America maby 3 months of the year every year just to break the boredom of seeing the same places every day.

Nothing fancy, even just temp work in a different place each time.

I doubt I would be allowed to do that though would I.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by soulpowertothendegree

I have researched many countries laws and customs. Leaving a 1st world country is not as easy as it sounds. Unless you live in the EU where you can live in any other EU country (even then you're still in the EU though). Many countries have very strict immigration laws, and unless you are independently wealthy, or from a 3rd world hell-hole, getting into another 1st world country is pretty much improbable unless you marry a citizen of that country and even then it isn't as easy as people think.

If you are an American you will be able to keep your Social Security if you leave the country. You will also be able to keep your VA or other pensions so long as we are not at war with that country. In some cases your medical care will be covered as well. Your social security number will stay in the US, no one else uses it, so student loans and other debts basically become NULL. Debt does not follow you when you leave. Of course this may change, but I haven't heard about any changes.

If you have a pension it is best to research your countries currency conversion to the place you want to live. Contrary to popular belief things do not cost the same everywhere. A pack of smokes in the USA could be over 6$ but somewhere else could be the equivalent of paying .25 cents of your native currency. Never move somewhere where the conversion rate is not in your favor because everything will be more expensive than what you are used to. This is how you would live well on only 1000$ a month in some countries.

If you want to bring your "stuff" there are different shipping companies that will ship your things. The cheapest I have found is about 7k dollars for 7k pounds, but this may have changed over the last year. This is freighter shipping. If you bring a car you need paperwork of ownership and it will need to meet standards of the new country. I think thats the only debt that could follow you, but I doubt it could be repo'd.

As for getting there yourself, say from North America to Europe (once on the landmass you could go anywhere). There used to be a company called the Icelandic Steamship company that you could drive to Newfoundland and take a ferry to Iceland, and from there other ferries to the mainland. Until they build the Bering bridge this is the only driving option I know of.

If you aren't driving I recommend riding on a freighter to save money. This will not cost much, but it will take a few weeks and you will most likely need to bring some entertainment and food. I think they accommodate about 45 people if I remember correctly, but since no one thinks about this there is room.

Make sure you can buy land or property there. Be sure to learn their laws.

You will want to check for regional ethnic distribution. I know that doesn't sound politically correct, but you will want to blend in. If you think everyone else in the world is all loving and accepting you would be sadly mistaken. There are times when keeping your mouth shut and fading into the background is wise. Also check religious doctrines, ethics, and cultural norms. Make sure you can learn their language and make it your language. Do not expect them to to speak English. They are not the USA where they cater to the whims of all their immigrants, legal or otherwise.

On that note don't think it is so easy to live in other countries by just showing up like people do in the USA... other countries take immigration and illegal entry much more seriously.

Basically think of it like this if you're from the USA: The USA is like Hotel California, you can enter but you can never leave.

Here is just one resource: Expat Exchange

edit on 12-4-2014 by Volund because: typo
edit on 12-4-2014 by Volund because: (no reason given)

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join