It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Small dog shoes advice!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Well my Rosco is allergic to the grass and pesticides they use at our apt complex so he can't go outside. I have been using pee pee pads in the spare bathroom but I'm honestly sick of them and I want him to go outside!

We have ordered 4 different shoes and each in multiple sizes and they do not fit! I have been noticing that many people complain about small dogs and how the shoes don't seem to be suited for them. It seems they fit better on bigger dogs.

I have been looking online for months now and am honestly getting frustrated.

If anyone has a dog that wears shoes, preferably a small dog 20lbs and under, what did you get? I would like to be able to purchase the shoes individually since i need different sizes in the back. If there is a site that will make them custom that would be great too! I don't care what they cost because in the end it's cheaper than spending $30 a month on pee pee pads.

Thank you

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Well my Rosco is allergic to the grass and pesticides they use at our apt complex so he can't go outside. I have been using pee pee pads in the spare bathroom but I'm honestly sick of them and I want him to go outside! - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Not sure how shoes would help his allergy, he would still come in contact with the grass wouldn´t he.

Are there no other options than the direct vicinity of your appartment, or is it too much of an effort to walk your dog more than 10 meters?

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

FancyName

Well my Rosco is allergic to the grass and pesticides they use at our apt complex so he can't go outside. I have been using pee pee pads in the spare bathroom but I'm honestly sick of them and I want him to go outside! - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Not sure how shoes would help his allergy, he would still come in contact with the grass wouldn´t he.

No he wouldn't.

Are there no other options than the direct vicinity of your appartment, or is it too much of an effort to walk your dog more than 10 meters?

Not there are no other options.

I seriously don't need your attitude. If you have nothing to contribute move along.
edit on 4/12/2014 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Shoes for dogs huh? ok I guess. I would consider finding a local seamstress to make custom shoes. I reckon most of what you have purchased is made in china, just as bad on his/her feet as the grass and they will fit and support the local economy.

If nothing around your area, think outside the box. Its summer coming, county fair season. Most county fairs have a leather worker booth that will be more than helpful in making some dog shoes.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

tinner07
Shoes for dogs huh? ok I guess. I would consider finding a local seamstress to make custom shoes. I reckon most of what you have purchased is made in china, just as bad on his/her feet as the grass and they will fit and support the local economy.

Yes shoes for dogs. You do know some dogs have allergies and require them.

Actually no most of what I have purchased was Made in the USA and made very well they just didn't fit my dog. I need different sizes for front and back and that is where I'm having a hard time. Most are sold as a set of 4.

I contacted local pet stores and grooming shops asking if they knew anyone who made shoes. I could even design them if I could find one. I just thought someone on here may have had some experience with dog shoes so I thought I'd ask.

If nothing around your area, think outside the box. Its summer coming, county fair season. Most county fairs have a leather worker booth that will be more than helpful in making some dog shoes.

I don't live in an area where county fairs happen and the ones that do are hours away and are pretty lame, nothing "custom" at them.

Thanks.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   

No he wouldn't.

He wouldn't?

Your dog doesn't sniff around with his nose touching the ground, or sit or lay down?

Not there are no other options. I seriously don't need your attitude. If you have nothing to contribute move along. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Excuse me miss.

Can't you make little bags you can pull over his legs out of some sort of fabric yourself?

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

mblahnikluver
Well my Rosco is allergic to the grass and pesticides they use at our apt complex so he can't go outside. I have been using pee pee pads in the spare bathroom but I'm honestly sick of them and I want him to go outside!

We have ordered 4 different shoes and each in multiple sizes and they do not fit! I have been noticing that many people complain about small dogs and how the shoes don't seem to be suited for them. It seems they fit better on bigger dogs.

I have been looking online for months now and am honestly getting frustrated.

If anyone has a dog that wears shoes, preferably a small dog 20lbs and under, what did you get? I would like to be able to purchase the shoes individually since i need different sizes in the back. If there is a site that will make them custom that would be great too! I don't care what they cost because in the end it's cheaper than spending $30 a month on pee pee pads.

Thank you

We want to get some for our 1.5 year old Beagle, she is an indoor dog, and so doesn't take the cold well. Lots of people keep dogs and Beagles outside year round, but they are acclimated to the cold, she shivers pretty quick. Got her "long-johns (thermal lol) and a winter coat that looks like my snow boarding jacket. Maybe this thread will give us some advice onto what kind of shoes to get her. She weighs 27lbs.

As far as the pesticides and such go, be very careful, your dog may stick it's nose down or eat/lick/sniff and have contact with the pesticides.

We just put fertilizer down, Scotts or something like that, and they say after it rains good it will be ok, but I'm worried she might try to eat something that has the chemicals on it.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Oh! I thought of something right away.
Maybe you can experiment with disposable, hospital shoe covers. They're little fabric-like booties that protect against contaminants. They would cover puppy's skin against the pesticides.

This little guy seems OK with it

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by unb3k44n7

This little guy seems OK with it

Yeah, he looks really happy, lol.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   

FancyName

No he wouldn't.

He wouldn't?

Your dog doesn't sniff around with his nose touching the ground, or sit or lay down?

I can wipe his face off when he sniffs but his feet even after wiping them get red and swollen. I didn't ask for your advice on my dogs outside habits. If you have nothing to contribute and don't have a dog with shoes find another thread to be rude in. I'm seriously not in the mood.

Excuse me miss.

Can't you make little bags you can pull over his legs out of some sort of fabric yourself?

No I can't. Been there done that it doesn't work.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Shoes for dogs are actually important if your active, and into hiking fairly common too.

I never knew this until I went hiking with a friends dog.

We never considered his comfort, stupidly so.

Ended up having to carry a 60 pound lab a few miles due to us not considering his poor pads.

We have domesticated the dogs to a point they are getting as soft as US, they need some extra consideration at times.

You should be able to find a decent range of them I've used ruffwear for my Pit, she seems to not mind them.

I would also recommend a vet visit for some allergy meds.

eta:

I think this is what my wife got her.

ruffwear
edit on 12-4-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by unb3k44n7

OMG that is so cute!

I tried something like this, not hospital shoes but they looked like it. He walked them right off and the wet grass still got his paws.

I found some really nice ones with tread for mounting climbing and concrete but we tried various sizes and they were too big esp since he needs a different size for the back.

Thanks.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by FancyName

Don't mind the trolls, they are only giving you some logical advice, don't let them change your attitude.

I was about to suggest using something around the house, like old socks or something, even buy a pair of gloves, cut the fingers off, and use some velcro bands to hold them on. Use the fingers as the shoes. Line the inside with plastic or something so nothing will absorb and seep through.
edit on 4/12/14 by SixX18 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   

I can wipe his face off when he sniffs but his feet even after wiping them get red and swollen. I didn't ask for your advice on my dogs outside habits. If you have nothing to contribute and don't have a dog with shoes find another thread to be rude in. I'm seriously not in the mood. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

It'is weird though that his legs would get irritated but his snout doesn't when it is a more direct passage.

No I can't. Been there done that it doesn't work. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Ok, but how hard can it be, it's not rocket science.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Yea people always laugh when I say he needs shoes but hey he can't go in the grass. I can't help it! He has a lot of allergies. I just say he is allergic to life lol He is a sweet boy but it took us over a year to finally get his allergies under control. Our vet is amazing here and he is just so good to our boy. The last place we went to was nice but they were so big they didn't listen very much. I always felt hurried there where our current vet will call you personally anytime you call! It's nice!

He takes allergy meds but he still can't be in the grass, per the vet. He takes 3 pills a day and gets a cortisone shot as needed.

He has been in the grass the whole time we've had him and we could never figure out what was up with his paws until we moved and went to our new vet, who is amazing! As soon as I stopped letting him go in the grass his paws cleared up and he is not chewing them or crying. They look normal for once!

OH that brand looks promising! I can also pick different sizes. Thanks!!

When I did walk him it was 3 times a day. I would only let him go in the grass on the side closest to the fence because it is the shortest. He doesn't play in it or sit in it so that isn't an issue. He CAN go in my moms grass. She doesn't have the grass he is allergic to, St. Augustine grass which the vet says is a common allergy for dogs. My mom also doesn't treat their yard with chemicals so he is fine there. I take him to her house any time i go and he runs out and loves it.

I will definitely be checking Ruffwear out! I like that they have smaller sizes! His back paw is an inch smaller in each direction so being able to choose the size is perfect!

Thanks

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

I hope this can help the little Rosco !

I you can see, the boots are attached to the harness, so I guess they won't come out.

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_37?ie=UTF8&qid=1397325606&sr=8-37&keywords=dog+boots

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Dog booties, sled dogs use them. I use them on my dog when it's -10 below or more.

Look them up $20-30 for a few pairs, lg, md, sml

Give me a sec and I'll find a link. Www.dogbooties.com
edit on 12-4-2014 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

Look on YouTube how to make them, if you can sow
edit on 12-4-2014 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SixX18

Awe she sounds so cute!!

Yea he doesn't really stick his nose in the grass much. He is not a "normal" dog lol

There are two sides to the complex and one side is grass with mulch but they also treat that. I walk him on that side because it's not as much grass but there is still grass. He doesn't eat anything but cat poop lol weirdo. He's actually pretty good when it comes to that kind of stuff. He doesn't get into the garbage or anything. He just hovers around the baby's highchair waiting for scraps to fall.

I have been looking at the Ruffwear boots another member suggested and they seem perfect! I will try them and if they don't fit or work I'll send them back.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join