It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To people in the Kansas City area / travelling through the area - Possible Serial Highway Shooter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   
So far the theory is they are linked and seems to be restricted to the highway. Either or thought I would share on the off chance people missed this. Be mindful of your surroundings in that area.

Kansas City investigates possible serial shooter on highways

Kansas City police announced Friday that they officially linked 12 highway shootings to a serial shooter or shooters believed to be driving while the shots are fired.

A 630WPRO.com report said police are focusing their investigation between Kansas City and a few surrounding neighborhoods. There are 20 cases being investigated.

Much of the investigation, which started on April 1, remains a mystery. Police said they still do not have any vehicle information or the number of shooters. The Kansas City Star reported that in most cases, these highway shootings usually involve a single shooter. A source told the radio station that authorities do not believe the shooting is coming from a hideout.

Kansas City Authorities Link 12 Highway Shootings

(KANSAS CITY, Mo.) -- Police officially linked 12 recent highway and roadway shootings in the Kansas City area, authorities announced Friday.

Following a spate of shootings targeting drivers, the reward for information leading to an arrest in the incidents has increased to $10,000. Additional funding was provided from the Federal Bureau of Investigation and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

On Monday, Kansas City police announced a pattern in which vehicles were being fired upon. The 12 linked cases are among about 20 that are being investigated for possible relevance. The majority of the shootings occurred in Kansas City but also extended to Blue Springs, Lee's Summit and Leawood. Three people were hit and their injuries were not life-threatening, officials reported.

The alleged serial shooter or shooters is believed to be someone driving on the highway, and it is unlikely they would be hidden in an overpass or stationed in nearby woods, sources tell ABC News. A number of these incidents may involve handguns as well.

edit on 12-4-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Woa, could this be a son of sam type deal?

I hope some gun carrying American or cop shoots him soon, 12 people already?

Wow its been ages since this sort of thing has popped up.

Thoughts and prayers to the victims family's.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I can't see someone indiscriminately shooting people like this. Why would anyone want to just shoot people that are not doing them harm. Sounds like someone who has it out for everyone here in America. This almost sounds like a terrorist act. Most shootings are because someone feels they have been wronged by a certain group of people, this one seems to be random other than these people are all Americans.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I live near the area so I thought I would chime in. They are saying it isn't gang or race related. There are some differing views on whether the shooter is in a car or not. Some have claimed to have seen a man in a ski mask in a vehicle shoot their car and another has claimed they were shot on the right side while in the right lane with no other cars around.

Here are a couple of local news articles with videos. Sorry I can't embed them.

Fox4news

Local gun expert's opinion

Abc news

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   

tport17
I live near the area so I thought I would chime in. They are saying it isn't gang or race related. There are some differing views on whether the shooter is in a car or not. Some have claimed to have seen a man in a ski mask in a vehicle shoot their car and another has claimed they were shot on the right side while in the right lane with no other cars around.

Here are a couple of local news articles with videos. Sorry I can't embed them.

Fox4news

Local gun expert's opinion

Abc news

Thanks for chiming and the other media links. I would add them to the op but im already beyond the 4 hour limit.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   

rickymouse
I can't see someone indiscriminately shooting people like this. Why would anyone want to just shoot people that are not doing them harm. Sounds like someone who has it out for everyone here in America.

Except something like this has already happened before with the DC Beltway Sniper.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

Beltway sniper was different. They were shooting people in parking lots and killing them. This person seems to be more targeting the cars and not necessarily the people inside or else they are piss poor with their aim, for which all of us in KC are grateful.

There have actually been around 20 incidents. Some didn't realize they'd been shot for quite a while because it simply sounds like they've been hit by a loud rock, so it's taken a while to put it all together.

It's a weird thing to call your parents and tell them you do not drive on any of the sniper routes.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   

rickymouse
I can't see someone indiscriminately shooting people like this. Why would anyone want to just shoot people that are not doing them harm. Sounds like someone who has it out for everyone here in America.

Im not saying that the beltway and this were the same as much as I am saying it is not the first time someone has done something like or similar to this in response to the poster saying it's hard to believe.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Probably some guy who gets his kicks by squeezing off a few in traffic on his way home from work. Probably the type of person you'd never expect. Not serial killer material. Just a regular guy who has silently lost it. He probably feels invincible that he hasn't been caught yet.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   

ItCameFromOuterSpace

Probably some guy who gets his kicks by squeezing off a few in traffic on his way home from work. Probably the type of person you'd never expect. Not serial killer material. Just a regular guy who has silently lost it. He probably feels invincible that he hasn't been caught yet.

The fact he has not killed anyone (that we know of) is a bit more frightening. It could possibly mean he/she is possibly building themselves up still in order to cross the barrier between shooting at and killing.

If someone is killed, it could again possibly change the game, depending on how the suspect reacts to the death. If the suspect gets off on it, there is no telling what could occur. What we possibly are seeing is a person squeezing off rounds at people / vehicles on busy interstate highways. A person does not have to be shot and killed in order to cause a massive accident that could claim more lives.

The other scary part is the lack of regard for others on the highway. The suspect does not seem to care about consequences, specifically the possibility of elderly or children being killed by suspects actions.

Just an observation.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Great heads up thread.
Doesn't sound as tho they have much to go on at the moment.

SnF

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I bet it's a few punk kids looking for a cheap thrill.
20 victims with no kills screams amateur, a sniper could still pick people off even in a moving vehicle.
Out here in California, we had some idiots shooting out peoples back windows on the 10 freeway. Then we had some sickos shooting at people who were broken down on the side of the highway along the 210 and 15 I think.
I took the back roads for a very long time following those incidents.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I live in a small town not too far from Kansas City and there's been speculations about it being linked to the possibility of the Republican Party hosting here. I'm not that political so I haven't paid attention to whether KC is still in the running. Just spreading the word about local talk.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
They have someone in custody. No name. The only description is a black male.

News Link

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

ABC World News ‏@ABCWorldNews · 2m
27-year-old Mohammed Whitaker charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings: abcn.ws...

new topics

top topics

join