It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did prehistory look like middle earth?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
With all the talk of forgotten civilizations. A funny ( but surely not unique) thought came to me.

I wonder if earlier times on this planet look far more like middle earth then what we think of as prehistory. With all the different branches of the homo tree ( sorry I hAd to :p) we have found. Makes me think that at one time there must have been a dozen or more different species of man all living in semi close proximity!

I could imagine different cities or tribes, all different species, trading and interacting. Then add all the cool dire wolf and saber tooth type creatures. How could you get closer to a fantasy world then that.

Hell! That might be where the concept of different races like giants and elves came from.

I'm iffy on the ancient alien theory....some things their proponents point out are at best reaching. At worst strait up lies. However some of the genetic stuff is quite interesting. Like the brain burst 50000 years ago and the missing or extra chromosome we have that seperates us from the other great apes.

However I'm quite sure there were roman level advanced civilizations forgotten by history. It makes little sense that the biggest stones humanity ever moved were at the beginning of civilization.

Opinions please!!

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ArtemisE

maybe...

I always felt very Dwarvish... might have been a past life

Perhaps that's just from my D&D days though

edit on 11-4-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Are you talking about Gondwanaland and Laurasia that existed during the mid-Mesozoic era ?

Or when Atlantas existed it would be quite common to see a centaur or satire running down the road ?

Creatures likes Pegasus's and Griffons existed during those days. This is what crazy scientists are determined to make happen all over again.

As for elves; just wait for the aliens to arrive and look at their pointy ears. Its going to happen.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Hehe, and I always felt a bit Smaugish...

OP, I am convinced there was indeed something before the official start of our civilisation. Every great legends in the World talk about it. The Old Testament refers to the creation of the man Adam after the creation of yet another but nameless humankind. The Celts have this legend about elves hiding under this world when man came. Modern New Age has this legend about Atlantis.

Something was indeed there, I can feel it - we all can.

edit on 11-4-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Rapha

Actually I was thinking in terms of the last 200,000 years lol. I'm cool with Stone Age reptilian tool users..but really there's no evidence at all for the humanoid reptilian theory. It was all created by a concept artist if I'm right.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

You may be on to something but I think it's simpler than the DNA stuff.

First we defeated Sauron and killed all the Orks. Then we enslaved the dwarves to do our mining until they all died off. During that time the elves sailed off to who knows where and the hobbits made a run to the small islands (like Ireland.)

Those rotten wizards are still all over the place mucking stuff up and New Zealand looks pretty much the same as it did back then only with more people.

Still not sure about the dragons.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Rapha

As far as Pegasus and centaurs lol. I'm pretty sure the dragonesc creatures were early man trying to explain Dino fossils they found. There would be a fossil history for flying horses or man horses in the evolutionary record. Lmao

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
How many giant's skeleton's have vanished over the years way too many to count 50.000 year old aluminium belts walls two miles down it make's you wonder what is true

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by 999zxcv

The giant skeleton pics were an art project that someone copied and lied about. I got really into them and did some research. Here's a link to the originals and the doctored version.

www.discoverynews.us...

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Well, six hundred years ago you could live in the forest here in parts of North America and never venture out into the sun during the summer. There was a high canopy above the land, the Indians created this place. White man came and cut it all down and sent the wood to Europe. Yeah, it may have looked like middle earth.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   

No Fantasy comes out of thin air... usually. People work with and extrapolate on what they know (or think they know).

Tolkien, of course, was exposed to theories about "primitive" man and rationalism suggests "magic" is simply tech or a state of the universe we are ignorant about.

And then the reams of folklore about other races of humanoids... which certainly may hold some validity, btw, and viola'... Middle Earth.

And in reality, sure... more gracile, elegantly civilized folks become elves... squat, metallurgic loving peoples become dwarves... some surviving sauropod becomes Smaug ... etc.

Heck, for all we know he found a forgotten history tome and plagiarized it. (um .. kidding)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
We can date back what.. 500,00 years of man(or so we think)
Dinos went out some 50 million years ago. Mamoths 10,000 years....

Earth is 5 Billion years old... give or take.
What happen with the other 4.9 Billion years??

Earth could just be doing a rinse and repeat of all life as it were.

Who says that hundreds or even thousands of civilizations did not come before us?
What makes us think we are the best that time and earth has produced?
As far back as we think we can see/test/know is little more than a blink in time.

We could be repeating this whole game over and over.
With all the earth quakes we are having and such. Earth may be tired of our crap and ready to rinse and repeat yet once again.

edit on 11-4-2014 by DogMeat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

ArtemisE
reply to post by 999zxcv

The giant skeleton pics were an art project that someone copied and lied about. I got really into them and did some research. Here's a link to the originals and the doctored version.

www.discoverynews.us...

But way before photoshop xavianthaze.blogspot.co.uk...

www.xpeditionsmagazine.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   

I'm quite it was way more beautiful, the nature and all the cultures diversity. With the population back then knowing it or not.

But ever since everyone has been wearing H&M, shopping at IKEA and buying groceries at WALMART, the world SURE DID lost all of its magic.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Tolkien got his inspiration from mainly mythology, more specifically Norse. Him and Lewis both were very good friends and often just took walks and hung out at a local pub where they would most likely have bounced ideas off one another.
But if you look closely at the events in the entire LOTR (not including the Hobbit or the silmarillion) it's very, very close to the events of WW2. Germany being Mordor, shire being England with it's close calls, Tree ents being the U.S. a 'sleeping giant', men being allied forces, etc. list can go on.

As for the mingling of past homo species, it is possible, but probably didn't happen all that much, centralized towns or cities were never a 'thing' back 250+ thousand years ago, (When other species were still around in numbers) we were purely hunter / gatherers, constantly on the move looking for the next feed or safe place. It wouldn't be another 120 or so thousand years till people started to settling in one place for more than a day or two.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   

As far as Pegasus and centaurs lol. I'm pretty sure the dragonesc creatures were early man trying to explain Dino fossils they found. There would be a fossil history for flying horses or man horses in the evolutionary record. Lmao

Unless the aliens did an effective Operation Cleanup where they vaporized all creatures that were contaminated with their angelic DNA.

Imagine technology that is milleniums ahead of ours and that will give an idea as to how easy it would have been to erase specific evidence.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Rapha

No it was the devil who planted the Dino fossils to confuse us!!! :p lmao

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   

strongfp
Tolkien got his inspiration from mainly mythology, more specifically Norse. Him and Lewis both were very good friends and often just took walks and hung out at a local pub where they would most likely have bounced ideas off one another.
But if you look closely at the events in the entire LOTR (not including the Hobbit or the silmarillion) it's very, very close to the events of WW2. Germany being Mordor, shire being England with it's close calls, Tree ents being the U.S. a 'sleeping giant', men being allied forces, etc. list can go on.

Wasn't Tolkien an elitist ?

The Fellowship of the Ring (NWO) is where elite tribes team up to usher in the NWO.
This Fellowship includes The Club of Rome, CFR, Freemasons and so on

The Two Towers sums up the bloodbath of wars that the banking system (Rockefeller and Rothschild) has created over the past century.

The Return of the King. Well the word antichrist springs to mind there.

Speaking of LOTR and Middle Earth. If anyone is considering playing Middle Earth Role Playing (MERP) then think again. Its absolute suicide. With the critical tables in use it was a miracle to get beyond level 3.
My cousin once managed (at level 1) to disintegrate a person with a simple light spell rolled at 176%.
Everything went silent as the other players thought 'sh!t, don't mess with this guy'.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Rapha

You can fit almost any plot or scenario from LOTR into your own. But Tolkien being a former soldier, and growing up during WW2 and how closely the events were to his books, it was most likely WW2. The tree ents really give it away.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Piers Anthony, while a fiction fantasy writer, wrote an outstanding pseudohistorical book called "Tatham Mound".

I think what you see in his book, before the arrival of the Spaniards, is a relatively good account of "prehistory" in that part of the world.

History, as recorded, is dominated by European culture. Before that culture came about....what was that like. I think that is your question. And that is an outstanding question. I suspect, sans the wild variants in humanoid life, that you are fairly close to accurate in your musings.

<<   2  3 >>

join