It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio Geologists Link Seismic Activity to Fracking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Now, we have scientific evidence to back up what we've been saying all along here on ATS ( well, some anyway) that Fracking is leading to seismic activity.

State geologists in Ohio have for the first time linked earthquake activity in the Marcellus Shale basin to hydraulic fracturing, confirming the suspicions of activists pushing for drilling limits in the interest of public health. State Oil & Gas Chief Rick Simmers told The Associated Press on Friday that a state investigation of five small tremors in the Youngstown area last month has found a probable link.

The article is very short-maybe about a paragraph or two but this is an important step. The first step in conquering your problems is to admit that you have a problem. Right, ATS?

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

I wonder why some environmental group of local citizens group somewhere can't get a court order to stop fracking (either nationally in the U.S., in a state, or in a region) until the entire legal question of how much danger this can and will be to the citizens living near fault lines can be explored and "settled".

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I live in Ohio, the other end of the state though lol but i remember hearing on the news on one of the AM stations i listen to at work that the fracking company agreed to shut down for a short time while a study was done. I decided to watch my earthquake app to see if it made any difference and i haven't seen much compared what i was seeing.

My personal stance on fracking has always been that small quakes can be produced but i still don't think anything large can be caused by it. Interesting to see though to say the least. Just my two cents from someone in Ohio lol.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
They have been talking about starting it here in michigan, nearby in Barry County where my folks live.

Now I doubt every fracking site causes earthquakes obviously. But the very term "fracking" means to fracture a layer of the earth. Now how could that not be responsible for at least some earthquake activity?

Do we know for 100% certainty where every single fault line exists in this country? I doubt it will cause much seismic activity here but then there is the possibility of contaminating the aquifers.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
All along I said that fracking is a bad idea. We need to stop that freaking-fracking!

new topics

top topics

join