It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Judge to Women Lawyers: "Tone Down" How You Dress

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Maybe the way people dress is up to the people wearing the clothes.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Nephalim

Good point..."To each, Her own"

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   

rickynews

Lady Lawyers have a right to dress the way they feel comfortable and appropriate.

No they bloody don't nor do men.

Correct me if Im wrong but there is a dress code.

Don't like it find another job.

Lawyers should look professional not like hobos, tramps, hippies or whores.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Nephalim

Or who ever employs them?

Dress code is a dress code.

If women can go to work dressed like strippers I think I should be allowed to go to work in jeans and comfy sweat shirt.
edit on 11-4-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Reminded me of this!!!

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
If a woman is allowed to wear a shirt with an open neck and no tie why aren't men allowed? I would have to believe that wearing a loose open neck shirt and a skirt is way more comfortable that a 3 piece suit with a shirt buttoned all the way to the neck and a necktie twisted tightly around your neck.

Might just have to be a bit more careful how we sit lol...

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

crazyewok

rickynews

Lady Lawyers have a right to dress the way they feel comfortable and appropriate.

Dont like it find another job.

Maybe they should.
A judge decides at some point in his or her life to wear that robe. It is that judges choice, not mine. If I go to court, I look at the judge, I listen to whats being said. I don't sit there wondering whether he/she is wearing sneakers behind the bench. I don't respect the judge any more or any less if he/she does. Only whether or not his/her courtroom treats me fairly, protects me with the law, or makes its decisions based on the law. That has nothing do with with a skirt or a pair of converse.

Furthermore, when you go to work to do work you're there to work, not to sit there and judge everyone else. If all you do is stand around looking at my jeans you're not doing your job, at that point maybe YOU should find another line of work yourself.
edit on 11-4-2014 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

pookle

SLAYER69
lol anybody here remember the OJ Simpson case?

The Judge told the Lady prosecutor to not wear such short skirts and focus on the case instead of the Camera and how she may appear on TV>>>

I would go in the next day in hot pants (with a pin stripe if necessary).

edit on 11-4-2014 by pookle because: (no reason given)

And then you'd be thrown in jail for contempt of court. How would that work in your client's favor?

Yes, there is a need for professional decorum, however, our lax minded society that thinks everything must be about "self-expression", can't you at least express yourself professionally?

Professionalism, it's a lost art. Professionalism also breeds courtesy. How can anyone respect a lawyer who dresses like Fat Tuesday at Mardi Gras, swinging their beads?

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   

crazyewok

rickynews

Don't like it find another job.

Exactly.

There is a reason for a dress code, because it means that one is presenting themselves in a respectful manner, the judge presides over the court and it's his job to determine the law. If he feels the lawyer has no respect for the court, then how is the lawyer showing respect for the law?

I am sure that judge don't mind how lady lawyers dress when out socially, but in a court of law, it's about the law and respect for it.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Hmmph, we had one of our state legislators take off her shoes and put on sneakers during a filibuster.

far as Im concerned, at least in Texas, people can wear what they're comfortable in. That includes government. Boots, jeans, sweats, skirts, sweaters, t shirts.. doesn't bother me. Work gets done, respect is earned.

so long as if you're police officer, you're badge is visible
heh

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Nephalim
Hmmph, we had one of our state legislators take off her shoes and put on sneakers during a filibuster.

far as Im concerned, at least in Texas, people can wear what they're comfortable in. That includes government. Boots, jeans, sweats, skirts, sweaters, t shirts.. doesn't bother me. Work gets done, respect is earned.

heh

Did she wear hip huggers and a halter top?

Were they at least nice shoes, and was it Sheila Jackson Lee?

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I live in an area that is full of lawyers, and I have to admit, there's something very unprofessional about a laywer who's flaunting gams, T & A in impossibly short, super-tight skirts, and low-cut v-necks. It's fricking law and dealing with real people's lives, not advertising yourself in whorehouse window (well, depending on who you ask, it is)

I'm all for a uniform dress code all around, the law profession could use some cleaning up. When pertaining to legal matters, your ability to flaunt your bedroom assets at work shouldn't have a leg up (no pun intended)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   

WarminIndy

Nephalim

heh

Nope, but if thats what she wants to wear thats up to her imo.
I recall a certain Governor somewhere was in a beauty pageant, didn't stop her from being a Governor. Theres a couple a good looking ladies on fox news, wear skirts, doesn't stop them from bringing the news and weather reports.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Nephalim

WarminIndy

Nephalim

heh

Nope, but if thats what she wants to wear thats up to her imo.
I recall a certain Governor somewhere was in a beauty pageant, didn't stop her from being a Governor. Theres a couple a good looking ladies on fox news, wear skirts, doesn't stop them from bringing the news and weather reports.

And really, you expect people to take you seriously?

If you can't respect any court or professional setting, to make a joke about it, but then expect yourself to be taken seriously, really?

But that's your opinion, my opinion is that you really can't be someone who tries very hard at understanding that the rest of the world isn't this little fun bubble of blatant self-indulgent expression. IMHO.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

Its probably more about the use of the words "ignorant slut."

"If, on balance, you think the post was harmful to the image of the federal judiciary and truly treated women as objects I am very, very, very sorry for that, but I would ask you to pause and reread it."

www.slate.com...

Then theres that.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Know a guy who got thrown out of court for wearing shorts - judge did not like that!

Women in particular, walk a fine line between being professional and "using their assets to their advantage" so to speak. Sometimes, a few get it wrong, cross a line, whatever. There are always consequences (good, bad, indifferent) for figuring out or not figuring out where that line is, in any given situation. It can be tough work.

edit on 11-4-2014 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I first would like to point out that this Federal judge didn't exactly act appropriately discussing the topic this way....

But I do think there are a number of women out there who do act inappropriately and then claim they are being singled out just because they are women.

If a guy at work wore his pants so low you could see his crack, I would deem that inappropriate too. I wouldn't care if he felt comfortable - it's about respecting other people.

I once saw a woman at work wearing a short mini skirt, no tights and heals. She was standing with her legs spread apart taking to a guy sitting down. You could see the guy was uncomfortable and trying to avert his eyes. It of course created a distracting and hostile environment.

Companies seem to be going back to a more conservative dress code and I'm actually happy about that.

edit on April 11th 2014 by Daughter2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Nephalim

So would it be ok in your book for a man to work with his pants unzipped?

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   
This article has become news because of Fox, the judge has never has stopped women attorneys in his court from dressing anyway they want, the comment was made on the blog he keeps on line, it was just a comment, base on a young 20 something year old attorney that was using a too short skirt while her ample bosom was also exposed this may be appealing for some is hardly appropriate.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Daughter2

Nephalim

So would it be ok in your book for a man to work with his pants unzipped?

haha, that probably happens anyway doesn't it. Yeaaa i think it does.
My point I guess was there seemed to be some tension about dress.
I just don't think its that big a deal. who cares. Its court its not #ing fashion show.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join