It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Judge to Women Lawyers: "Tone Down" How You Dress

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   

A Federal Judge has made his thoughts known to women who dress in a way that he doesn't find appropriate in a Court of Law.

Story link found here: www.foxnews.com...

Federal Judge to Women Lawyers: "Tone down" How You Dress

Lady Lawyers have a right to dress the way they feel comfortable and appropriate. The real question for attractive female attorneys is whether there is any potential risks or impact, positive or negative, for their client, in terms of how they dress.
I think we all already know that men are easily distracted by an attractive females. The question is, how does this dynamic play out in a court of law - with the Judge, the Jury, the Witnesses, and even Opposing Attorneys? Is it an advantage ? Or, is it a disadvantage?
edit on 11-4-2014 by rickynews because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by rickynews

I have actually seen a similar incident in court before.

The Judge and the PA were apparently having a bad day, and the comments between the 2 were something ive never seen in open court. Apparently the final straw came when the judge threatened to take a hair sample from the defendant who was in for a parole hearing.

The PA apparently took exception and objected, telling the judge he did not have that authority.

The judge looked at the Defense Attorney and stated - How many times have I told you not to dress that way in my court. The Defense attorney looked confused and did the excuse me routine. The judge stated it again, noting that his suit was one of those 500 dollar types. He then stated if you want a lesson on how to dress in my court, look at the PA.

The entire exchange was awkward and there was nothing humorous about it.

As for this judge - its his court room and he can set the dress code. To an extent I can see some merit. If someone dresses in a manner that is distracting, its possible it could cause a person to drop concentration and make a mistake. Normally I would say who cares but when you are dealing with a persons civil rights and their freedom, even a minor distraction could result in major consequences.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   

rickynews

A Federal Judge has made his thoughts known to women who dress in a way that he doesn't find appropriate in a Court of Law.

Lady Lawyers have a right to dress the way they feel comfortable and appropriate. The questions for attractive females is whether there is any potential risks or impact, positive or negative, for their client in terms of how they dress.
I think we all already know that men are easily distracted by an attractive females. The question is how does this dynamic plays out in a court of law - with the Judge, the Jury, the Witnesses, and even opposing counsel. Is it an advantage ? Or is it a disadvantage?

Hmmm...I would say he has a point. I can imagine that, like everyone in the world, a judge and jury are just as likely to be swayed by a good looking person as anyone else. People use that fact to their advantage every day in the world. I wonder if the judge could ask the jury to discount the attorneys outfit as they do when a question is expounded on by a witness. That or this could set a precedence for attorneys to wear robes in court so as not to disrupt or influence the ruling based on appearance.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
This isn't uncommon nor is it particularly noteworthy. Law is a conservative profession, and even in law school I've seen girls on the mock trial team chastised by supervising associates from large law firms for dressing too scandalously.

Judges do not look favorably upon attorneys who display a lack of decorum. That's just the norm for legal environments.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I haven't seen a problem with the way women lawyers I have seen dress. But he has seen more. I'd like to see a picture or something to see what he is referring to. The courts are a place of professionalism but this may be a case of a an old fashioned judges opinion.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   

I feel like its a huge advantage. Think about it. Beautiful lawyer with assets.

Judge: Duhh uhhhh.....DA, what were the charges again?

Yeah cant see how its a disadvantage....except for a client going up against a female judge.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   

JonButtonIII
This isn't uncommon nor is it particularly noteworthy. Law is a conservative profession, and even in law school I've seen girls on the mock trial team chastised by supervising associates from large law firms for dressing too scandalously.

Judges do not look favorably upon attorneys who display a lack of decorum. That's just the norm for legal environments.

Apparently, it was noteworthy enough to make National News.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Dress down eh, every women should get a Judges robe and gown and walk around town in that then see how they like it.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   

A Judge in his courtroom is a whole different ball of wax. Judges are pretty much emperors in their courtrooms in America and this is actually not that uncommon. It only made "news" because someone complained to someone who doesn't' understand the system. If a Judge tells you to come into his courtroom with a blue tie, you better come in with a blue tie.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

PsychoEmperor

A Judge in his courtroom is a whole different ball of wax. Judges are pretty much emperors in their courtrooms in America and this is actually not that uncommon. It only made "news" because someone complained to someone who doesn't' understand the system. If a Judge tells you to come into his courtroom with a blue tie, you better come in with a blue tie.

Quite True, Good advice Counselor.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
lol anybody here remember the OJ Simpson case?

The Judge told the Lady prosecutor to not wear such short skirts and focus on the case instead of the Camera and how she may appear on TV>>>

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   

SLAYER69
lol anybody here remember the OJ Simpson case?

The Judge told the Lady prosecutor to not wear such short skirts and focus on the case instead of the Camera and how she may appear on TV>>>

I would go in the next day in hot pants (with a pin stripe if necessary).

edit on 11-4-2014 by pookle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   

I knew the war on women was real!

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Vasa Croe

rickynews

Lady Lawyers have a right to dress the way they feel comfortable and appropriate. The questions for attractive females is whether there is any potential risks or impact, positive or negative, for their client in terms of how they dress.
I think we all already know that men are easily distracted by an attractive females. The question is how does this dynamic plays out in a court of law - with the Judge, the Jury, the Witnesses, and even opposing counsel. Is it an advantage ? Or is it a disadvantage?

Hmmm...I would say he has a point. I can imagine that, like everyone in the world, a judge and jury are just as likely to be swayed by a good looking person as anyone else. People use that fact to their advantage every day in the world. I wonder if the judge could ask the jury to discount the attorneys outfit as they do when a question is expounded on by a witness. That or this could set a precedence for attorneys to wear robes in court so as not to disrupt or influence the ruling based on appearance.

Make 'em all dress like this and there will be no issues of distracting dress:

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

That or this could set a precedence for attorneys to wear robes in court so as not to disrupt or influence the ruling based on appearance.

Or distracting the court with ones "appearance". There should be an "over the top" limit in that regard.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Well it could be a sharia promtional thing and judges are but servants of the people. The people are the "empire" and the judge had better be a good minion.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

rickynews

JonButtonIII

Apparently, it was noteworthy enough to make National News.

And we should all know by now that national "news" just consists of irrelevant distractions and/or cherry-picked propaganda designed to drive forward a particular agenda.

In this case it's a combination of both. The distraction is keeping people talking about anything except the real threats to society. And the agenda is hammering home the wedge between the sexes, furthering the divide and conquer war constantly being waged against the races and sexes to prevent us from all coming together against the real enemy--this out-of-control bloated and corrupt federal government.
edit on 11-4-2014 by JonButtonIII because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join