It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ukraine & West Effectively Losing Regions to Russia!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

It's not a "land grab". That is the language of ignorance.

That is why I put it in inverted commas.....it is more ignorant to cherry pick my post than consider the whole.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by demus

Actually, I think you are factually wrong. For a nation to join the EU they have to apply for membership, meet certain criteria and negotiate to join. Other EU nations have to ratify their application prior to joining. A nation wishing to join has to make significant changes e.g. to the judiciary and separation of the military from politics etc.

Nations may be persuaded to apply, but they are not forced to apply. All nations have alternatives. In the case of the ex-Soviet European states the alternative is EU, Russia or non aligned.

It must be depressing for the Russian to see that only the dictatorship of Belarus wants to stay with their old over-lords. Russian action in Ukraine has probably closed all doors of keeping that nation close, and is also likely to speed up Moldova's hopes to join the EU. Very sad to be an unpopular choice in the playground, although there's always the ex-Soviet crowd in Central Asia to keep Russia feeling important.

Regards

edit on 12/4/2014 by paraphi because: cleared it up

edit on 12/4/2014 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Daily mail just uppd this an hour ago lol.

Deepening tensions: Pro-Russian militants armed with pistols and rifles storm police stations in eastern Ukrainian cities pulling Europe closer to brink of 'gas war' Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... ian-cities-pulling-Europe-closer-brink-gas-war.html#ixzz2yhHbsTAV Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Paints a pretty grim picture of whats been happenin, some of the videos of these massively strategic heavy industy hubs going up in smoke is insane.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

I said persuaded, not forced.
To force something on another country is so "not West" so they do it another way.

they don't have a problem, like I said, because many countries don't have or don't think they have alternative to EU or NATO and why wouldn't they like to join a "powerful club"?

it's very logical; USA, Western Europe is (still) strongest economically and in many other ways, of course countries that have opportunity want to join together with them.

Russia?

if Russia offer/will offer in the future a chance for citizens of any country to make a decent living, living a decent life without too much restrictions I am sure the process will reverse.

maybe Crimea was just first.

economy is everything, people in Eastern Ukraine support revolt because many of them believe Russia can provide better life opportunities for them, could it be that they are right?

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

. For a nation to join the EU they have to apply for membership, meet certain criteria and negotiate to join.

" meet certain criteria and negotiate to join"
Like recently how Croatia aided and supported the Islamist rebels in Syria by sending former Croatian military grade arms of the 90s the old weapon stocks.

Yeah that sort of an criteria in order to be a full pledged member of the EU.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Agent_USA_Supporter
Yeah that sort of an criteria in order to be a full pledged member of the EU.

Here you go. ec.europa.eu...

Look for yourself if it rules out supplying arms to Syrian rebels, although as Croatia is an EU member so that's life.

Regards

top topics

<< 1   >>

join