It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USED Motor Oil is being sold to you as NEW

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I only use brand new Valvoline oil and change it every 3000 miles. There are many name brands now including Valvoline that are selling "green" recycled oil. Valvoline calls theirs NextGen. My advice is to steer clear of these "green" products and buy brand new, brand name oil when it's on sale. I can't figure out how oil got to be $5.49 a quart while gasoline is $3.35 a gallon. I remember the good old days when oil was $.79 a quart and gasoline was $.99 a gallon! Here's a link for this new "green" oil from Valvoline.
green.autoblog.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
old oil can be treated and filtered to some degree.

Want cheap oil? you get cheap oil.
Id rather see it "some what" recycled and reused than thrown away in some toxic pit of nastyness.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Man, even back when I was a kid you could buy grades of motor oil that made no bones about having recycled oil in it. It was generally dark and had an awful smell. But it was cheap.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Bedlam
Man, even back when I was a kid you could buy grades of motor oil that made no bones about having recycled oil in it. It was generally dark and had an awful smell. But it was cheap.

yeah. i remember that as well.

back in PA there was a 'brand/co' that made 'recycled oil' we used in our lawn equipment and such .... but not in the vehicles.

think latter 70's/early 80's..... it wasn't pennzoil, but 'similar-type name' if memory serves.

.69/qt

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Btw. just adding, that recycled motor oil exists and has no disadvantages, but the stuff in the first post is not what I mean by it.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   
There are two types of recycled oil.

One type is oil that has been super filtered and new Additives added.

The other type they add to crude oil before it enters a oil refinery. this allows them to pump thick crude with less power.

Many times this used oil is used to thin out heavy crude oil from old oil fields.
oil companies in calif do this alot.

After going through the refinery process you will never know there is recycled oil in the oil.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   

ANNED
There are two types of recycled oil.

One type is oil that has been super filtered and new Additives added.

The other type they add to crude oil before it enters a oil refinery. this allows them to pump thick crude with less power.

Many times this used oil is used to thin out heavy crude oil from old oil fields.
oil companies in calif do this alot.

After going through the refinery process you will never know there is recycled oil in the oil.

That is what I know aswell, but if the photo in the first post is showing the samples, then this is just dirty oil that has not been recycled.
And this really is a scandal, but you should always recognize it because of the colour.
Btw. I am automotive engineer
so this is quite interesting for me

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

Yup, recycling is good. We need more recycling!

Let's not forget that the residues that are extracted from the old oil must be disposed of properly. Only if this is respected will we have achieve decent moral responsibility for what we were given.
edit on 12-4-2014 by bitsforbytes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   
PQIA has a lot of good info.

I use Pennzoil.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by aLLeKs

Thanks for joining and adding your expertise.

Before I wrote this thread yesterday, I thought 'used' oil had to be used for some other purpose or repurposed. It just didn't dawn on me that they had a process to 'clean it up', so to speak. I was under the impression the heat from extended use causes oil to chemically change, destroying all the good properties we use it for in engines. That was my expansive wealth on the subject! lol

At least now I feel better informed. I've always been a driver not a mechanic, when it came to cars. I know how they work from a academic understanding, but as we all know, that is usually quite different then field applications.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Remembering back, .99 one could get a quart of some off brands companys and works just fine in Older Cars! If one would put it in todays cars, things would lock the hell Up.

Yes, hear you on that! One could have replaced the new oil with used oil and filled all the dryed up oil wells! Cleaned it of course. Worst thing ever is Deepfried Food Oil being cleaned and reused! Ever had chick'in strips that tasted like dirt, you french fries so soggy you would not even give them to your dog?

It will be interesting to see how Cleaning Waste Water turns out!

Peace

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Now if by chance someone knows why my oil change last time came out a tint of Red. Please let me know!

Other then Tran fluid, is their a mix out there for oil being red? Runs fine, sounds great but Never have i seen red in oil! Spent the day asking around, shops. No one knows! Tran is the first pick, some claim you place it just before you change your oil to get a good clean. Never tried it though.

Thanks for the info!

Peace

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Mikeultra
I only use brand new Valvoline oil and change it every 3000 miles.

This is ridiculous, and wasteful... No manufacturer has an OCI of 3000 mile... Not in the last 25-30 years... 3000 miles is a product of the auto service industry and a desire for increased profits at the expense of an ignorant public. Read your owners manual, I'll bet the OCI is 7500 miles... Some manufacturers go as high as 10,000.

The only thing that comes close to this as far as waste is changing spark plugs... But then again, real men (and monkeys) don't use spark plugs...

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Mirthful Me

Come to think about it, My car actually says 7,500 miles! Of course it an 84 was shocked when I read it! It does not like anything even close to what we have today so tend to stay with plain normal oil!

I've always thought the 3,000 miles was a given until then. Who Knew?

Peace

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   

A lot of companies use recycled oil out there especially those quick change oil stations. Most synthetics are even blended with recycled oil. It may cost more at first but if you buy a full synthetic it will save you more in the long run.

I use amsoil 100,000 mile oil but I still change it out every 20k when I am supposed to change the filter only. I have nearly 200,000 miles on my truck now and the oil I drain out looks cleaner than most oil you can buy off the shelf. I went full synthetic when I bought the truck and I will never go back.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Not surprised at all.

I work around vehicle maintenance, and the GARBAGE that's being passed off as parts and supplies is staggering. Once had a "house brand" pair of new hub/bearing assemblies from a reputable supplier fail after 15 minutes. It's that bad out there.

Moral of the story: Buy name brand, pay a little extra for the good stuff. Find what works and stay with it. For kicks check dealer parts pricing; the OEM stuff can be more competitive than you might think (it can also be crazy but it's free to ask). Finally, if it's a no-name that's too cheap & on mega sale somewhere... you're playing with fire.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Mirthful Me

Mikeultra
I only use brand new Valvoline oil and change it every 3000 miles.

This is ridiculous, and wasteful... No manufacturer has an OCI of 3000 mile... Not in the last 25-30 years... 3000 miles is a product of the auto service industry and a desire for increased profits at the expense of an ignorant public. Read your owners manual, I'll bet the OCI is 7500 miles... Some manufacturers go as high as 10,000.

The only thing that comes close to this as far as waste is changing spark plugs... But then again, real men (and monkeys) don't use spark plugs...

The GM 6.0L Vortec V8 engine is equipped in GM trucks, including the Chevy Silverado 1500, 2500 and 3500, as well as the GMC Sierra 1500, 2500, 3500 and Denali. It also appears in the Chevrolet Avalanche. Because General Motors' Chevrolet and GMC trucks are very similar, the vehicles use the same driver control center. This is the center that displays the truck's "Change Engine Oil" or "Change Oil Soon" light. You can expect this warning to appear at approximately 3000 miles. After you have the truck's oil changed, reset the light and the warning goes away. Read more: www.ehow.com...

It's my engine, my truck, so I'll be the judge if it's wasteful or not. Thanks for your opinion though. There's no sludge in there because of the 3000 mile oil changes. It's a clean machine. I bring the used oil to the auto parts store where it's recycled and sold to tightwads who are penny wise and dollar foolish.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
i never worry about the oil in my SUV.
I get it changed at the dealer to maintain the lifetime warranty
So if the dealer wishes to replace the motor in my SUV due to bad oil.. Im cool with that.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
i never worry about the oil in my SUV.
I get it changed at the dealer to maintain the lifetime warranty
So if the dealer wishes to replace the motor in my SUV due to bad oil.. Im cool with that.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   

WTF is the brand of oil in your article? Never heard of it.Is it a cheap one? You get what you pay for.

That goes for everything. From motor oil tattoos to hookers.

If you don't know what oil should look like then you shouldn't be driving.
edit on 14-4-2014 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join