It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seven chimpanzees use ingenuity to escape their enclosure at the Kansas City Zoo

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   

rapunzel222
Zoos exist purely for selfish humans to watch animals in cages. Would we want to be in a cage? Chimps can master sign language. They should have human rights. Caging them clearly against their will for our enjoyment is selfish and disgusting behaviour.

Even as a kid I hated zoos. I cud never bear to see animals in cages.

While I agree with you in regards to caging animals I'm not so sure about giving them "human" rights.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Seriously, they were trying to escape. No sane animal wants to be in that zoo after what's been happening there lately. The local wildlife has been getting into turf fights and shooting at each other during the free days at the zoo.

The chimps are intelligent enough to realize that no one should be hanging out at the zoo anymore. It's just not safe.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Subnatural
I don't think this proves anything about evolution, it just means that chimps are smart, the difference between chimps and humans is not so great as a lot of people have thought.

I see this kind of comment a lot - "smarter than we thought" or "differences not as great as people think"... Just who are these people who think that?

Most, if not all, people I know would readily acknowledge that many animals are indeed very smart and that animals such as Chimps and Gorillas are very much like us.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Don't worry my primate brothers and sisters my plot now includes your escape and revenge on the holders of the bananas!!!.
Great apes are smart.
They can be taught to use sign language and they teach their own babies signs...that's culture.
They should be classed as non human persons, If you spend any time with them it hurts to see how much they are like us.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   

pookle
Maybe they should run for President.

Too ethical for that.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   

AugustusMasonicus

There was an episode of Nature where they featured the honey badger. There was one being held at a rescue facility who escaped his enclosure by doing the same thing with a log. He also escaped by rolling rocks into the corner to use as a ladder.

I watched that very same episode on PBS. The ingenuity of some animals is amazing is it not?
Like another poster stated earlier, animals are very much aware of their surroundings. More so than they have been given credit for.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   

iasenko

The animals climbed up a log they had placed against the wall, but are now back in captivity.

Seven chimpanzees use ingenuity to escape their enclosure at the Kansas City Zoo

It was clever chimpanzees.

That was zoo director Randy Wisthoff’s explanation for the unauthorized excursion that prompted a “Code Red” response among zoo employees, an hourlong lockdown of zoo visitors and finally a careful roundup.

“Chimps are so smart,” Wisthoff said.

One of them, he said, either found or broke off a 5- or 6-foot log or branch, leaned it against a wall and clambered to the top. Then that chimpanzee — the “ringleader,” Wisthoff called him — persuaded six friends to join him.

At one point, three of the seven chimps went over the wall into an area accessible only to zoo employees. Well before then, however, the zoo had activated its emergency protocols, which included gathering visitors into locked and secure areas.

At no time was the public in danger, Wisthoff said.

The breakout happened about 3:30 p.m., and it took about an hour for zookeepers to herd the animals, in groups of two or three, back into their enclosure.

The chimps were lured with fruit and greens such as carrots, celery and lettuce, their usual feed.

“It was almost their dinnertime already,” Wisthoff said.

But for the last reluctant animal, zookeepers brought out a bag of malted milk balls.

“That was the clincher,” Wisthoff said.

All employees were aware of the dangers the chimpanzees could have posed, Wisthoff said. Of the seven, the largest weighed about 150 pounds.

“They are tremendously strong,” he said.

On Friday, the 100-acre area normally occupied by 12 chimpanzees will be closed as employees check for security breaches.

Employees are careful to police the area and remove large branches, Wisthoff said. That made him wonder whether the log used Thursday had been broken off recently.

Here is the Evolution in action! Here is another link to the story in Time :
time.com...
edit on 11-4-2014 by iasenko because: (no reason given)

Hahahaha.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

stumason

Subnatural
I don't think this proves anything about evolution, it just means that chimps are smart, the difference between chimps and humans is not so great as a lot of people have thought.

I see this kind of comment a lot - "smarter than we thought" or "differences not as great as people think"... Just who are these people who think that?

Most, if not all, people I know would readily acknowledge that many animals are indeed very smart and that animals such as Chimps and Gorillas are very much like us. And yes, they are certainly like us.

Well, this is the point I was trying to make, monkies are like us! Clearly there has been some kind of misunderstanding.

Thats why I said they are "smarter than we thought"...

What I was trying to say is that monkeys are smarter than we in general assume, which basically means they are more than just pseudo-sentient comedy-sidekicks or medical research subjects. They are almost like humans. Which means they are practically humans. Which mean they are humans... I guess?

These are cutting edge, complicated questions.

P.S: Hey, they escaped their enclosure, right? They must be smarter than I am.

edit on 16-4-2014 by Subnatural because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by iasenko

Imagine being locked up for life without having committed a crime or even knowing you are locked up for life?

I detest zoos, circuses and whathaveyou animal venues. Caging beings for profit? Only friggin insensitive people go there and pay to see wild animals imprisoned or paraded in a ring.

Stop supporting these venues by paying to see them.

On Friday, the 100-acre area normally occupied by 12 chimpanzees will be closed as employees check for security breaches

And starve and shock the "rebels" back into line. Since they are hopelessly mad in their prison for life its the only restraint they understand, pain and fear.

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

rowdyrich
Are we witnessing the rise of the apes? Is this how it starts....hmmm. We always knew that they were smart and I'm sure they are just getting tired of being caged up. It's not much different than our prisons, sooner or later they smarten up and find a way out.

That's funny, the Elites are probably thinking the same thing about us.
edit on 17-4-2014 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join