It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Cherry tree from space' mystery baffles Japan

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+66 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Tokyo (AFP) - A cosmic mystery is uniting monks and scientists in Japan after a cherry tree grown from a seed that orbited the Earth for eight months bloomed years earlier than expected -- and with very surprising flowers.

I found this fascinating, as did the monks that tend to the tree and its predecessor. Apparently after leaving a cherry pit from a 1250 year old tree to orbit the earth from the space station, the same pit was planted back on earth. It now has bloomed 6 years earlier than expected while no other pits from the same mother tree have followed suit. Just speculation, but could cosmic rays have played a part in this?

It reminds me of Wilhelm Reiches studies on Orgone accumulation back in the 1930s where he claimed to grow plants quicker and more vigorously after exposure to accumulated "orgone"

Source:news.yahoo.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Interesting, nice find.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueJacket

Interesting stuff!
A lot of plants/trees will flower earlier than they should due to adverse conditions-something in them knows on some level that something isn't right and so they initiate flowering faster than they usually would in order to maximise their chances at reproduction.
Maybe some conditions on the ISS led the seed to start the process of flowering early when it was planted back on earth?

Or of course,it may just be due to the tree sensing something not quite right here on terra firma...Fukushima related possibly?

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I remember seeing and old video from spain that used lunar soil from the apollo missions to grow seeds an they grew faster than in normal soil, i wonder if its related

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   

BlueJacket

Tokyo (AFP) - A cosmic mystery is uniting monks and scientists in Japan after a cherry tree grown from a seed that orbited the Earth for eight months bloomed years earlier than expected -- and with very surprising flowers.

I found this fascinating, as did the monks that tend to the tree and its predecessor. Apparently after leaving a cherry pit from a 1250 year old tree to orbit the earth from the space station, the same pit was planted back on earth. It now has bloomed 6 years earlier than expected while no other pits from the same mother tree have followed suit. Just speculation, but could cosmic rays have played a part in this?

It reminds me of Wilhelm Reiches studies on Orgone accumulation back in the 1930s where he claimed to grow plants quicker and more vigorously after exposure to accumulated "orgone"

Source:news.yahoo.com...

Very cool find. And interesting you mention Reich....I have been doing a LOT of research on him for a few months now. Was able to contact his grand-daughter as well. He has a VERY interesting history with his Orgone research and how the government reacted to him. His persecution by the government is what leads me to strongly believe he was way ahead of his time.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   
That is fascinating.Thanks for sharing.I guess the question now is what caused the change in the space seed?

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Speculation

I know this is "out on a limb" for alot of people, but here is what I am referring to in regards Orgone: www.ehow.com...

Wihelm Reich Wiki:en.wikipedia.org...

Now I am not trying to prove a comparison here necessarily, however as a practitioner of Oriental medicine there are a number of correlations in ancient Taoist texts that relate "cosmic energy" and Chi (qi). I am always digging to find how and why they had these philosophical tenets and this space incubated Cherry pit just got my mind going.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Silcone Synapse

Interesting stuff!
A lot of plants/trees will flower earlier than they should due to adverse conditions-something in them knows on some level that something isn't right and so they initiate flowering faster than they usually would in order to maximise their chances at reproduction.
Maybe some conditions on the ISS led the seed to start the process of flowering early when it was planted back on earth?

Or of course,it may just be due to the tree sensing something not quite right here on terra firma...Fukushima related possibly?

Excellent point and I agree, while the speculative optimist in me really wants there to be a "cosmic" correlation you may well be right with the simple answer!

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

I do ALOT of plant research for a living as well as a hobbyist. Reich's research and the idea behind the function of acupuncture have always bounced around together in my head trying to find a connection.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Silcone Synapse

I agree most likely caused by stress. Some plants will turn in hermaphrodites when they receive to much stress in an attempt to pollinate themselves and reproduce quickly. Most likely what is happening here is it's been stressed, thinks its in danger of dying and trying to reproduce before it's to late.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I agree most likely caused by stress. Some plants will turn in hermaphrodites when they receive to much stress in an attempt to pollinate themselves and reproduce quickly. Most likely what is happening here is it's been stressed, thinks its in danger of dying and trying to reproduce before it's to late.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Should the title of the thread be cherry pit from space?
This makes it sound like a tree fell from the sky.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by hana1

Really? Like most seed producing plants don't have both sex parts already?'

A small biology lesson as a refresher for those not still in Jr high school.

www.enchantedlearning.com...
There are some plants that have separate sexes but most have both on one flower.

edit on AMu30u0441505302014-04-11T08:05:04-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   

AutumnWitch657
Should the title of the thread be cherry pit from space?
This makes it sound like a tree fell from the sky.

That's what I thought also.

Like, was there a cherry tree that came from some distant planet and wasn't from the earth?

Maybe the title should be "Pit From Cherry Tree Sent To Space"

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   

BlueJacket
reply to post by Vasa Croe

I do ALOT of plant research for a living as well as a hobbyist. Reich's research and the idea behind the function of acupuncture have always bounced around together in my head trying to find a connection.

Just as a heads up and not trying to hijack the thread, but here is a link to the thread I was researching the Cejka files on when I found Reich and began getting very interested in him and his findings.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I was able to contact his grand-daughter and she has been a great source of knowledge. She uses his Orgone therapy regularly and has a LOT to say about him and his research. The fact that the government burned all copies of his writings and detroyed all his orgone accumulators says a lot to me. He was then thrown in prison where he died, and the prison was one where some very notorious criminals were placed as well. Fascinating person and VERY well connected and respected in his field. WAY ahead of his time.

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   
This is absolutely fascinating... because I think I know why this happened:

The Primeval Code

In the late 1980's, while working for the research department of the Swiss Pharma & Agriculture Giant - Ciba-Geigy (Novartis/Syngenta), Dr Guido Ebner and his colleague Heinz Schürch conducted a series of laboratory experiments with various cereal seeds, plants and fish eggs. In these experiments the seeds and eggs were briefly exposed to an eletrostatic field, a high voltage field without any flowing current.
---
Unexpectedly primeval organisms grew out of these seeds and eggs: a fern that no botanist was able to identify; primeval corn with up to twelve ears per stalk; wheat that was ready to be harvested in just four to six weeks. A giant trout, extinct in Europe for 130 years, with so-called salmon hooks. It was as if these organisms accessed their own genetic memories on command in the electric field...

I'm willing to bet that the electric field of Earth has a very different strength at the height the ISS is orbiting. If the seeds spent 8 months on board the ISS it's fair to say that they were exposed to an electric field intensity which differs from the typical intensity experienced on the surface of Earth. This is essentially an accidental recreation of Ebner's experiment, but they don't even realize it. The result is also exactly in line with the results obtained by Ebner and his colleague; faster maturation times and attributes which cannot be readily found in modern strains of that species. I was going to try this experiment myself but never got around to it, but now I really have to make a point of doing this experiment myself.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Thank you, I forgot about those studies! Excellent addition to the thread I appreciate the input...that further grounds my speculation on Reich's orgone theory. I know I am reaching. but daisy chains of Reich's base accumulator produced measurable voltage, it really makes me wonder.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Star and flag! Thank you for sharing this!!

I remember reading years ago that a rose grown in space didn't smell the same as those on Earth.....it took me a while to find an article, this one talks about it: science1.nasa.gov... This made me wonder if the cherries this plant will produce will taste differently than the rest? Maybe even smell differently?
Maybe space radiation caused a DNA change?

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   

BlueJacket
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Thank you, I forgot about those studies! Excellent addition to the thread I appreciate the input...that further grounds my speculation on Reich's orgone theory. I know I am reaching. but daisy chains of Reich's base accumulator produced measurable voltage, it really makes me wonder.

I don't understand what the "orgone theory" has to do with Ebner's experiments or anything in this thread... the seeds spent time in space, are you saying that the ISS acted like an "orgone accumulator"? The orgone theory is just very unbelievable in my opinion, there is no solid science behind it and it has been widely debunked. I prefer to stick to theories which have a reasonable basis in reality. A universal "life force" called orgone energy does not have a basis in reality.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join