It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do police in England do their jobs without guns and a body count?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   
More and more often in the US our police are killing unarmed citizens in the daily course of their standard operations. Our crime rate is the lowest it's been in years and yet the body count of unarmed civilians keeps rising.
How do the unarmed bobbies keep England from devolving into absolute chaos and anarchy without random murder of innocents?

+16 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   

abe froman
More and more often in the US our police are killing unarmed citizens in the daily course of their standard operations. Our crime rate is the lowest it's been in years and yet the body count of unarmed civilians keeps rising.
How do the unarmed bobbies keep England from devolving into absolute chaos and anarchy without random murder of innocents?

because they are taught to treat their people as if they are citizens, not as suspects or criminals.

+10 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by abe froman

Historically, it's worked because the rest of the population haven't had guns either.

+8 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   
"How do the police in Britain do their jobs without guns and a body count..."

Simple.

Balls.
Dignity.
Determination.

Thats the difference between living in Great Britain and survivng in Tombstone.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Because most of us Brits are a decent sort and behave ourselves
Our cops do have guns but don't need them (most of the time) cos they can taze us/pepper spray us and just duff us up.
Just a different culture than our American brothers and sisters that is all.

link   
reply to post by jimmyx

How come that can't work in the United States?

link   
To answer your thread title...mostly they do ok, but there are always bad apples in any bunch.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Well I should hope that you would behave yourself boymonkey, I have it on good authority that you have tiny little girl arms.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Dam Jessie V grrr exposing my weedy likkle girl arms lol.

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I live in Holland, where cops do have guns, but hardly ever draw them, let alone use them. If a cop draws a gun without even firing it, it will be on the news or in a paper, guaranteed. I think the difference in mentality of the cops has a lot do with the difference in mentality of the general population.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by RationalDespair

I would imagine Holland is just more relaxed than most places what with windmills,tulips, and....

I wonder if the cops in America are shooting less people in Colorado and Washington state these days.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   

abe froman
reply to post by jimmyx

How come that can't work in the United States?

they would have their manhood questioned, and thought to be commie pinko liberals, by other officers

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Its a different philosophy to policing called policing by consent.

In the British model of policing, police officers are citizens in uniform. They exercise their powers to police their fellow citizens with the implicit consent of their fellow citizens. Policing by consent is the phrase used to describe this. It denotes that the legitimacy of policing in the eyes of the public is based upon a general consensus of support that follows from transparency about their powers, demonstrating integrity in exercising those powers and their accountability for doing so.[5]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
They don't need them apart from anti-terror/gun squad teams as the public don't carry guns. Whenever I've been to the US Border Guards/Imigration have been comical in how over the top/hysterical and on a power trip they are. My sister had a weapon drawn on her and had to lie on the ground for making a comment about US news not showing any news outside the US.

reply to post by RationalDespair

Yup last time I was in Holland a policeman was shouting to four drunk/high guys who were towing a guy in a surfboard down a busy canal.

Police - Hey you there, that's dangerous.
Guys - Yeah, we know
Police - OK, have fun

When police treat the pubic with respect and courtesy the vast majority of the public do the same back so there's little trouble.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   

It's the guns issue I think. British police (with a few exceptions) are not armed, therefore our criminal classes have never felt the need to carry firearms either.

Arm the police, the criminals would start carrying more guns, we'd start to see a lot more shootings.

The Dunblane effect cannot be under-estimated either. After the school shooting in Dunblane there was a massive drive to clamp down on private ownership of handguns, which took a great many weapons out of society. And the number of shootings plummetted.

An unarmed society is a safe society.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Its harder to get guns in the UK with them being banned. So the police dont have them either. We have armed officer units for armed criminals but otherwise they stick to batons, pepper spray and tasers.

But I'm not completely sure where you got the idea from that the police here are any nicer than the US. They essentially have the same mentality minus the guns. The superiority complex and corruption is still there and innocent people still get harassed and hurt.
edit on 5725Friday252014-04-11T07:25:57-05:002557 4 by Silicis n Volvo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   
It could never work here.Not so much the number of people who have guns but the number of nuts who are willing to kill others with them.I think this same lot would just kill with something else if they didn't own a gun,though.
Also at times the police end up quickly surrounded in riot like situations.If they weren't armed I doubt they'd get out alive.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   

It's partially due to having armed responses where a lot of thought and planning has occurred before they attend the scene. A lot of the US killings by cop seem to be the type that (on reflection) needn't have happened that way.

In 2011-12, England/Welsh police opened fire 5 times despite there being 100s of armed responses called out. Two were killed in those 5 incidences and one supposedly led to the riots etc. My avatar is from those riots.

In 2012-13 there were no deaths by shooting, but still some regrettable deaths in custody.

It'd be more interesting to compare a nation with armed police with another nation with armed police. This would potentially highlight cultural differences and other factors that lead to people being shot. For example, are German or Italian citizens being shot with a greater or lesser frequency than those in the USA? Comparing countries that are similar to the US would offer greater validity in results. There'd be no point comparing death rates via Mexican police with those in the US - different cultures.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   
UK police do have guns and bring them to use as and when needed.

They don't casually carry firearms...because they'd look gung-ho and silly.

At around 1 murder per 100,000 of the population, it's not needed.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   

DISRAELI

Historically, it's worked because the rest of the population haven't had guns either.

This is the simple truth. How many cops are shot and killed in the UK a over decade? 6 Number for the US? 564 When your population is not armed you do not have to assume that something like simple traffice stop is going to lead to you being shot and killed you are not nearly as paranoid. Now taking away guns in the US is not and option and not goimg to happen. So we will always lead the western world in gun deaths, police deaths, and deaths by police.
edit on 11-4-2014 by MrSpad because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join