It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women's Natural Antipathy For All Of Rodentia And the Men Who Laugh

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Women's Natural Antipathy For All Of Rodentia And the Men Who Laugh.

This morning, I was attacked by a rodent of fierce disposition, and beady red eyes - intent upon murder. Stealthily it crossed the floor, eyes fixated on me, blood on its mind.

Noticing too late to arm myself with all manner of weaponry against such a monster, I screamed - my feet flew in the air somewhere near my shoulders and I was near death when my husband started laughing.

This is a call to arms for all women to stand against such unwarranted cavalier attitudes toward these creatures of death. How can men be so unthinking as not to realize the imminent danger presented by these spawn of satan?

What defect in their personality leads them to laughter rather than abject terror and a desire to jump to our immediate defense?

I am in shock - not just from the imminent danger presented by such an evil creature - but by such ho hum attitude!

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

Ah, it isn't all of Rodentia.
If it was a fuzzy little lagomorph, you would have picked it up and cuddled it in your arms.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Hi OpinionatedB!
I feel your pain!
For me it isn't little furry critters, but SPIDERS! *gasp*

My ex-husband had no sympathy at all for my fear/dread/horror.
Once, while needing to go to the bathroom...there it was....perched right on the toilet.
I let out a blood-curdling scream!
Husband came running in, and very angrily told me, "All that for a spider? I thought there was an axe-murderer at the door!"

Sheez...I'd rather have the axe-murderer. At least he wouldn't have 8 legs, and descend from the ceiling with an evil smirk.
They creep me out, can't even watch them on tv.
The latest Hobbit movie has a lengthy scene with huge spiders in a huge web....and the dwarves are the prey.
Talk about my worst nightmare in technicolour!!
*hides head under blanket*....Is it over?

jacygirl

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Excuse me, speak for yourself. I personally have a very special relationship with rodents. I just love their attitude, their looks and I feel a strange affinity towards them. I basically LOVE all kinds of rodents, especially guinea pigs and rats. I owned quite a lot of both. And before anyone says 'but not the wild kind or the one in your house', well yes, even them. We had rats in the garden but they never came in, we owned a house with mice in and instead of killing them, I just cleaned up [we didn't live there] and made sure they couldn't get to any food.
We had mice in the shed and I found their little nests in my wellington boots [aaww] and left them to it. They ate my grass seeds and I thought that was funny.

I saved a wild bunny from the road by getting out, causing a traffic jam and the little bugger was squeeking and tried to bite me but I don't let any of them be cheeky to me. I thought I'd be hated by the other commuters but they actually CLAPPED and beeped their car horns with a smile because I saved the little bastard [meant with all love and affection].

There is almost no animal that I wouldn't treat with respect, I owned Tarantulas [whom I loved] and put out some spiders [the others I let stay inside] by hand.
Yeah, I am a woman but I am not a wet blanket and I know others like me. I think this generalisation that women are scared of mice and spiders etc has to stop at some point as it is ridiculous and only true for some, just as there are some men that don't like these things.

Pull yourself together women, no wonder men are laughing.
edit on 11-4-2014 by Hecate666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   

I'll let you in on a little secret, ma'am.

We laugh because we are terrified. We are conditioned at a young age to laugh in the face of imminent death. (this takes place while all you gals go in groups to the bathroom).

If our leg is caught in a bear trap, we laugh.
If thundering hoards of enemy vampires breach the walls, we laugh.
Rodents, spiders, snakes, kittens. . . . we just laugh.

But no to worry.

There is plenty that you can mock manhood about!

Dirty dishes still scare us enough that we avoid them all.
Placing a toilet seat down causes us to cringe in a bout of germaphobia so extreme, that we actually cry a little bit.
Anything other than a microwave or a charcoal grill intimidates us to no end.

And if you really want to intimidate men, just ask us to buy feminine products at the local store. We turn into simpering fools who are helpless and naïve.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I will not kill spiders or centipedes, even inside the home. They kill other insects that I don't like.

I don't like mice or rats. I would kill all of them that you could find if I was in your hubbies position, but I probably would have laughed at you too.
edit on bu302014-04-11T07:10:48-05:0007America/ChicagoFri, 11 Apr 2014 07:10:48 -05007u14 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   

My ears are burning!

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

I am not sure which quality of that critter stands out more...
Creepy or comical?

ETA: That is like a rodent Obama... scary and comical.
edit on b000000302014-04-11T07:21:27-05:0007America/ChicagoFri, 11 Apr 2014 07:21:27 -0500700000014 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Hecate666

Laughing at someone who is afraid is mean.
Making fun of someone who is afraid is mean.
Fears might be 'irrational' but they're still real.

Said by the woman who has been crying for a week over the death of her beloved ferret. (Love ALL animals...still hate spiders)

beezzer...Thank you for being you.

jacygirl

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

lol.. maybe... maybe not...

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   

jacygirl

Hi OpinionatedB!
I feel your pain!
For me it isn't little furry critters, but SPIDERS! *gasp*

My ex-husband had no sympathy at all for my fear/dread/horror.
Once, while needing to go to the bathroom...there it was....perched right on the toilet.
I let out a blood-curdling scream!
Husband came running in, and very angrily told me, "All that for a spider? I thought there was an axe-murderer at the door!"

Sheez...I'd rather have the axe-murderer. At least he wouldn't have 8 legs, and descend from the ceiling with an evil smirk.
They creep me out, can't even watch them on tv.
The latest Hobbit movie has a lengthy scene with huge spiders in a huge web....and the dwarves are the prey.
Talk about my worst nightmare in technicolour!!
*hides head under blanket*....Is it over?

jacygirl

I knew there would be someone who understood my pain! We must stand together and fight the good fight!

My husband is currently working in concert with this evil minion of the dark, by setting out little dinner plates for the creature he is calling "traps" yet, the minion and my husband know the truth of it - its dinner for the creature!

Perhaps they are plotting my demise together.... if I don't come back to ATS... they got me!

That said... I was going to post a picture of the creature and went on google for this, now those pictures will be things of my nightmares for weeks to come... I understand your distress at the Hobbit movie!

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Hecate666
Excuse me, speak for yourself. I personally have a very special relationship with rodents. I just love their attitude, their looks and I feel a strange affinity towards them.

Apparently they aren't the evil spawn of satan that has currently invaded my home! Until you have experienced this for yourself you cannot judge!

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   
No rodents in house here .. just two cormorants , a beer drinking macaque named sun wukong and a tempermental siamese cat .. down near the river theres a mother tiger and two cubs ..

Always laughed at ex wives reactions to the little lizards that run around over here ..

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jacygirl

fear of something really is horrid. It doesn't matter if its irrational to some... I am not sure I will be able to walk on my floor for years to come... and my heart is still racing uncontrollably.

Mice so totally freak me out! For real.... I understand when other people have fear of things, such as your fear of spiders. It's a horrible feeling altogether!

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Not all women are wimps. I knew girls who handeled frogs and mice and rats and guinea pigs. I do. I have no problems with snakes, bugs, kids vomiting in my cupped hands. ( to try to save the rug LOL)
If women are so squeamish how did nursing become a mostly women's occupation?
Nope not buying it. I've seen men run from snakes and spiders. Some people can handle it some can't. It's not a sexual thing just a human one. Plus I think some men are more afraid then they let on. Being macho in front of the women the same as some women will act frightened because it's expected of them.

link   
reply to post by beezzer

You always do make me laugh

And my husband really was trying to be careful of my feelings, but he couldn't help the sarcastic little smirk on his face and the giggle which escaped him.

But I will definitely keep in mind that the laughter is a cover for his own fear and horror!

link   

Can't stand rats! They were the perpetuating factor in the Bubonic Plague! Not to mention they freak me out! When I see a rat I go into attack mode: I grab whatever is within reach and go on an assassination mission! I've taken them out with mops, brooms, a big wrench and once even a skillet quickly grabbed from the dish drainer! Death to creepy rodents!!!!

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   

This is the truth, can even post a pic if I HAVE to, lol.
My current partner knows my fear.
Taped on our bathroom door is a certificate that he wrote up, certifying that this bathroom has been inspected for spiders, and has been approved as 'spider-free'. I left it up because it's funny and I appreciate it. He checks every morning for me, so I don't get a surprise attack when I'm alone.

Nothing else bothers me. I'm fine with all animals, snakes, I adore lizards....I've had my kids hurl every possible body fluid on me...not squeamish about blood....but show me one spider and I'm hyper-ventilating.

jacygirl

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   

I don't fear mice, although they make me cringe....and I hope not to having to deal with one any time soon! lol

Common fears are genetically inherited and some may come from our cave dwelling ancestors who knew that mice, rats and spiders may have caused death. Women were usually left with the babies and food, so I believe they had to deal with the rats that try to eat their supplies while men were out hunting. And the genes to fear them has been passed down to us.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   

To be fair, I saw the mouse first - so it's MINE!

I saw it a week ago, and in fact told you about it so that you wouldn't be surprised by the little rapscallion - it doesn't seem that the warning worked. I immediately set out to trap the little bugger. That's what all the contraptions set around the house are about. That doesn't seem to have worked, either. It thinks they are feeding stations. I'm surprised it hasn't left a "thank you" note on them.

HOWEVER - the hunt goes into high gear, starting now. You've made rash promises as to rewards if I can get the critter, so the efforts are redoubling. I'll have it's little hide tacked to the wall before you know it. Probably have to use thumb tacks.

This is a sign from God, beyond a doubt. He is displeased with your insistence that I not kill spiders and bees, and instead capture and release the little vermin. Therefore, he sent YOU a little gift.

Maybe I should just catch and release IT, too?

Naw. Vermin die here. ALL of them. I don't want to hear no more mess when I go on auto-pilot and eliminate bees, spiders, and centipedes with extreme prejudice from now on.

You should have your mouse-skin rug by this time tomorrow.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join