It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GLASS ROCK found in woods (photos embedded) Need expert analysis.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 02:30 AM
link   

schuyler

LordStevenChrist
Can Someone Explain Why There is not Glass in the Atmosphere? - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

yea, that's me(Plumbo), 9 years ago.

Actually Earth is on a tortoise. See here. Meanwhile, can you explain how this is on topic in this thread?

Yes, it is on topics because we are discussing anything that this could be, or how it was formed, and as to how it was found buried in the middle of the woods. If you are trying to debunk this thread, the thread was made so we can figure out what this is, scientifically. Yes we got off topic a few times but came right back. Mostly jokes about 99 cent beer in this day in age. Put your input in, follow the thread, or leave your opinions to yourself.
edit on 4/12/14 by SixX18 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   

antar
Ok, fun thread, informative too, just what I needed to read right now so thank you and best of luck on your great discovery and find.

Thanks!!! I was getting tired of this site, and this is a fun thread. I have never had anything I posted so popular, and with so many ideas, it is still a mystery. We will take ti to Bloomsburg University tomorrow and have it checked out. Actually wait, Block Party is tomorrow, and they have swat teams and cops from all over PA in town this weekend, maybe Monday. BTW check out the Bloom U BS the cops will do to students this year, last year they tear gassed innocent students for partying, and said they threw bottles at the new government swat vehicle they were given. Videos show it was them who tear gassed some underage drunk kids, and then they threw bottles. Off topics but I almost started a thread on this local police department, seeing as cops are killing people left and right now days.

I hope it is very rare, but still siding with slag. We will have it checked out however. It is very heavy and large, haven't found anything that size online quite yet for slag.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 02:54 AM
link   

pauljs75
I could only guess... But it might be possible for a higher quality glass to occur natually if it gets hot enough when formed. If there's some anthracite deposits near the surface adjacent to sand or sandstone, and something like a forest fire is hot enough to light off the anthracite into a burn, it would make sense that sand or sandstone adjacent could become molten and form glass deposits. Whether or not local geology would allow for it is something you might have to dig into. (Perhaps literally?)

No fires we know of in that area by the looks of it, however we area HUGE coal region. Maybe have heard of Centrailia, PA? an underground mine fire has been going for over 60 years, Silent Hill was based off of this town that now has a population of like 5 or less. Not the game, but the movie. We are a coal cracker region, also farms and forestry as well.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 03:05 AM
link   

fossilera
reply to post by SixX18

Hate to jump on the bandwagon, but from what I can see it's slag glass, or man-made glass.

1. I collect quartz as a hobby - First of all, just by looking at the fracture in the pictures, it doesn't have the appearance of any quartz crystals I've seen (and yes, I have seen specimens up close; envy some of the dealers at the rock & mineral shows with their big crystals).

2. If it's got bubbles in it, and it is as clear as the photos show, then it's not quartz. One of the first things I was taught is that while quartz can have air/water bubbles in it, if you find a very clear, large sphere and it contains a lot of bubbles, then chances are it's glass.

3. I've found chunks of slag glass hundreds of feet away from the nearest railroad, in areas that you'd think you were the first person to visit. One of the things I've always liked about nature is that if you leave it alone long enough, then it will eventually reclaim the land. In this case, my suspicion would be that there was a building or area nearby that produced the slag as a by-product (maybe ore refinement). In this case, the ore would have been exported or shipped out, and the glass was dumped near the creek in piles. Over time, the piles were moved or spread-about.

The reason I say this? My bet is that the cave was actually part of a coal/steel refinement plant at one point - Sulfur & slag glass are both a byproduct from the refinement process.

4. Remember, your friend only found something close to the surface; I'd bet that if you dug a little deeper in the surrounding area, you would find more bits & pieces.

For example, I have a park near me that used to have a really old subdivision in it - On the surface, there isn't much to see. In order to find the "dumps" that the people left at the time, you'd need to get down next to the river bed to find the treasure. I've found broken pottery, old marbles, toys, and someday I'd love to find an arrowhead. Back then, the mentality was dig a hole, bury the broken items/disused items, and cover it up. The fun part was that I could actually dig through the layers of stuff, track back through the years.

In short: Slag Glass is my vote

-fossilera

PS: Not that I'm saying he could make a profit, but down in some of the southern states they do sell this for a good sum of money - One the size of a bowling ball would fetch a considerable sum, I'll wager. They also attach a fancy name onto it to trick those that buy it into thinking it's something more than glass - Didn't fool me, but it sure fooled the poor souls next to me.

As I stated could be from a railroad as they had tons back a hundred years ago in this area. It is not plastic as someone after you has stated, trust me, this is a very dense chunk of "glass" or something very much alike. The bubbles could be anything, and it was found barley sticking out of the ground. I can tell you there were no building ever near this find. It was either formed, fell, or placed there. There were other similar items seen near a creek that comes from a sulfur cave/mine, but I wouldn't consider it a mine seeing as to it was never mined. Lets keep this going with more opinions from experts or others who have found similar rocks. The location is what has me thinking it may still not be slag, however it does resemble it. If this were something rare, I don't think a picture can do justice. My friend is still convinced it is not man-made glass. I too, having seen and held it, do not think it could be simply debunked as slag. It is very unique, and I can't imagine it just was placed there as a leftover chunk of glass. I am a nature boy, and this seems natural to me, but we can't prove it until an expert analysis is done with the actual evidence IMO.

Come home from work and this is 2nd on ATS homepage, I am determined to help you all with some hard scientist information, possibly Monday we can get someone to actually test this at the University.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
That, is a really big raw diamond. Not glass. I've no doubt if you made an appointment with a local jeweler they would tell you all about it, and might just offer you a price for it. Don't accept the offer yet. If this is a bowling ball size raw diamond you would want several offers first. Seriously impressive.

www.diamondschool.com...
edit on 12-4-2014 by mrsdudara because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by SixX18

Oh very nice....99 cent drafts!

Could the rock have been formed by lightning?

-Alien

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by SixX18

Interesting thread !

You might find this article informative on trying to figure out what your rock is and how it was formed if it was natural.

Rocks & Minerals of Pennsylvania

Plz come back and update us once you have answers... I hate it when a thread is posted like this and the poster never comes back to tell us what the item was.

;-)
leolady

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   

DenyFlatulence
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I have some red is it worth anything?

I'm assuming you mean red obsidian.
Yes. It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

I have some too. The reddish color is from iron impurities.

LOL thank you.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   

SixX18

Destinyone

randyvs
reply to post by Destinyone

OP and partner should heat it up and make there own personalized bar mugs.

Maybe not, Randy. I have an 8" diameter polished crystal ball in my collection. I paid a fortune for it. I'd have never in a million hears paid that much for a drinking mug made out of it.

But, I kinda still like your idea as a gift for the man who has everything.

Des

For my friends sake I hope it is worth a fortune, but foremost, we would just like to know what this is. Where are the geologists!? Let's get some Stars and Flags so maybe some experts can see this topic!

Why do you want a lot of money for it?!? You have budweiser for $0.99, what else do you need? :p

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Don't be so quick to say there was never anything there.

If you had a glass shop 200 years ago there was no power grid, so you located near a creek.

You would be surprised how fast nature can reclaim a building site.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

This has got to be a joke right? I mean, do you really think it's a 20 pound diamond? Just in case you're being serious, here's some information on the current largest diamond ever found - en.wikipedia.org.... That weighs 1.37 pounds.

If this indeed was a diamond it would be somewhere around 20 times the size of the largest one ever previously found. Seems highly unlikely, and that's completely discounting the fact that this thing has lots of little bubbles in it, which right off the bat means it's not a diamond.

Common sense goes a long way.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SixX18

Ancient atomic warfare could well be the answer.

Ancient Atomic Warfare

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Pimpish
reply to post by mrsdudara

This has got to be a joke right? I mean, do you really think it's a 20 pound diamond? Just in case you're being serious, here's some information on the current largest diamond ever found - en.wikipedia.org.... That weighs 1.37 pounds.

If this indeed was a diamond it would be somewhere around 20 times the size of the largest one ever previously found. Seems highly unlikely, and that's completely discounting the fact that this thing has lots of little bubbles in it, which right off the bat means it's not a diamond.

Common sense goes a long way.

My apologies for not being as brilliant as you. If only I had your awesomeness I wouldn't have gone and embarrassed myself. My goodness. I hope the God of wiki can forgive me.

Get some class dude.

Anyway, anything that looks like that and came from a big coal area should be checked out. Cool find!
edit on AprSat, 12 Apr 2014 11:18:17 -050017.tham171714p by mrsdudara because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

randyvs
reply to post by SixX18

A left over from a glass factory that has long since
disappeared?

Either that or its fake.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SixX18

I've seen glass made from sand and electricity and its clear like this. I'm going with lightning.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Davian

randyvs
reply to post by SixX18

A left over from a glass factory that has long since
disappeared?

Either that or its fake.

Not fake, it is 100% real and heavy. I am not saying it is anything other than glass slag, but we will have it checked by an expert. Just have to find one, maybe at Bloomsburg University. A friend of mine is about to graduate as a geologist from there, and he had no clue. Agrees with many of these theories about glass slag.

leolady Interesting thread !

You might find this article informative on trying to figure out what your rock is and how it was formed if it was natural.

Rocks & Minerals of Pennsylvania

Plz come back and update us once you have answers... I hate it when a thread is posted like this and the poster never comes back to tell us what the item was.

;-)
leolady

I will be sure to update if we figure anything out other than the great job ATS has done providing information.

Hmmmmmmm Don't be so quick to say there was never anything there.

If you had a glass shop 200 years ago there was no power grid, so you located near a creek.

You would be surprised how fast nature can reclaim a building site.

Very true, I didn't not think of this. And materials may have been wood. We do have lots of old mills and water wheels around, well used to. Now they are a rarity and considered historical. We have an old mill near my grandparents house that locals have been trying to save for years now. My grandparents house is a 6 story tall 200 year old building (over 200, not sure exactly the years now), it was a hotel back in the civil war! Knoebels Amusement Park has one, but that was built I think for novelty. Also lots of covered bridges around the area. My mom is friends with a guy who is part of the historical society so I should give him a call. He may be able to suggest any glass works in that area, that aren't found in a google search.

AutumnWitch657
reply to post by SixX18

I've seen glass made from sand and electricity and its clear like this. I'm going with lightning.

Alien Abduct
reply to post by SixX18

Oh very nice....99 cent drafts!

Could the rock have been formed by lightning?

-Alien

That was the original idea my friend told me he thought it was, and I thought it was a good possibility as well. The glass slag seems less rare than lightning turning this into something so clear, but they have found these in desserts. So it is not ruled out!

Thanks for more great suggestions and I will try to get some more information posted asap. For now my friend is missing in action hahaha I'm sure I'll see him tonight or in the next few days and will try to get him to the University to have this looked at!

edit on 4/12/14 by SixX18 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SixX18

Not sure what it is but its cool. I'll give him $50 for it.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   

CT_Flyboy
reply to post by SixX18

Not sure what it is but its cool. I'll give him $50 for it.

$50? Can't put a stone that size on a girls finger for less then a few grand! lol just kidding. I don't think he is going to sell it unless it's actually worth big bucks. It's sentimental as how often do you stumble on something like this in middle of the woods?

My dad and I cut trees for fire wood, and we found an old "dump" from a farm, with rotting car chassis, old glass bottles that have some identification numbering/lettering, and even dolls and such. Some pretty neat stuff out there!

Those of you that said they have found glass or rocks like this, post some pictures! Let's see what cool finds may be related to this elsewhere!

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SixX18

I have a feeling you should apply an electrical charge to it and see what happens. You might be surprised at what you find.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I live in coastal central Florida and I know of many people myself included who have found objects pretty much identical to what you have. I was told it was caused by lightning hitting the sand and heating it up in a split second turning it to a ball of glass.. I am sure that is what you have.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join