It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GLASS ROCK found in woods (photos embedded) Need expert analysis.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by SixX18

chip a piece off and melt it down...see if it's melts like glass

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

wasobservingquietly
reply to post by SixX18

Hi!
I'm in PA also & we found some of this when we were kids.
Way out in the woods near a stream fed, small lake.
A piece was sticking out of the ground & we dug & found quite a bit more.
Older people told us it was glass slag. We wondered how it got there too!
The only glass plant in recent memory was about an hour away!
They said the air bubbles inside it were one way you could tell.

We didn't find anything very large, but a couple of people in our town,
have big chunks of it decorating their front yards.
I always wanted to knock on the door & ask them if they found it in the same place.
I was surprised it never got stolen! Their house is real close to the road in town.

What we found was varying shades of green like glass Coke bottles used to be made of.
The other people have clear, green & a cobalt blue, the color of old time medicine bottles.
My sister found a bright yellow piece at a yard sale once.

Some of it looks dirty in spots on the outside,
like it was dumped on the ground when it was still molten, & the glass fused to the dirt.
Some have pits on the outside, like air bubbles burst on the surface.
The weird part is, there are no sharp places except the little pits themselves!
Even the edges of the big flat surfaces, that look broken, aren't sharp.

One of life's little mysteries!!!
Neat to see something about this after at least 50 years!
I'll be interested to see if anyone knows more about it!
WOQ

Yea quite the mystery, as we have no glass factories here, maybe back in the industrial age, lots of rail roads back then transporting raw materials.

SprocketUK One thing worth doing is to weigh it as accurately as possible, then find the volume by immersing it in a full container of water, measuring the water displaced ti get the volume, then divide weight/volume to get the density. Google the density and it ought to confirm the material the lump is made from.
Not the most stringent of tests, but it can rule out some of the more exotic claims ...or even rule them in.

Good idea

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

TXRabbit
now wait wait wait, just hold on here a second.....

you guys are in PA and drinking Bud? Your in Yuengling country, fool!

Now hold on just a second! That is just some Kevin Harvick Nascar poster they gave the bar. I drink $.99 Yuengling drafts there. However, I work in a popular brewery in the area, and we drink craft brews most of the time.

Thanks for the input everyone, I'm siding with glass slag as that seems to be the most logical. Still a great find for my friend!
Off to work!

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

SixX18
If that is the case, then how did it get there, and why are there possibly more of these near a sulfur creek bed that originates from a cave? Not saying it is not slag, because they look very much the same. Just can't rule out that it isn't natural, and what else it could be.

You stated earlier that the finder would not say exactly where it was found. Hmmm. First rule of archeology is to document EXACTLY where an artifact was found. If you don't have the "in situ" information, and this has been intentionally withheld, then you have to ask why. What's to be gained from withholding this information? I'm thinking the only reason is because someone sniffs some sort of financial gain here somewhere.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SixX18

Hi
This is my first post on this site. I just wanted to chime in though because I too have the same artifact and same story. Many years ago I was digging in soft mulch in my woods and I came across this giant clear rock. I still have it and have often posted inquests on facebook as to what it is. The best guess I got was rare clear obsidian

here is the link to the picture of my "glass rock" that I found. I just call it that since I don't know what it is, but yeah it is identical to the one you found. And though I will not say where I found it I will say it was the NJ woods.

Here is the link since I can't figure out how to upload a picture directly on here:

www.facebook.com...

Thanks, would love to know what it is as well!

edit on 11-4-2014 by RockNrollRefUg because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-4-2014 by RockNrollRefUg because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Remember Plumbo?

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Confronting George Noory.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Volcanic Glass - Almost Clear Obsidian 3461 cts

forums.opalauctions.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Can Someone Explain Why There is not Glass in the Atmosphere? - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

yea, that's me(Plumbo), 9 years ago.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   

LordStevenChrist
Can Someone Explain Why There is not Glass in the Atmosphere? - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

yea, that's me(Plumbo), 9 years ago.

Actually Earth is on a tortoise. See here. Meanwhile, can you explain how this is on topic in this thread?

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SixX18

No idea what it is, but it's not any naturally occurring rock or mineral.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I have piece about 1/4 that size, but very green. It was called "End of the day glass" from a glass factory that would be I guess what was leftover at the end of the day.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by RockNrollRefUg

The best guess I got was rare clear obsidian

There is no such thing as clear obsidian. You have a hunk of glass slag as well.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   

DenyFlatulence
reply to post by RockNrollRefUg

The best guess I got was rare clear obsidian

There is no such thing as clear obsidian. You have a hunk of glass slag as well.

Yea, I saw that, flag stone thingy

Love your name lolololololl

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DenyFlatulence

Aye, obsidian is black. And very sharp. It breaks into flat edges.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

ugmold
I have piece about 1/4 that size, but very green. It was called "End of the day glass" from a glass factory that would be I guess what was leftover at the end of the day.

End of day glass - when made into artifacts - is usually multi-coloured. But that doesn't mean it has to be.

The OP's object could well be a piece of 'left over' glass from a glass-making process.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

DenyFlatulence
reply to post by gariac

Shine a UV flashlight on it. It if glows green, you have uranium glass.

I can tell just by looking at it it's not uranium glass.

Oh, you have Geiger counter eyes?

I have a slab of uranium glass I got off eBay when such deals were legal. Looks clear, glows green.

Do the test.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Please take your neat find to a certified Gemologist. Any jewelry store in your area can recommend one to you. What if it turned out to be an incredibly rare huge semi-precious or precious stone? I would definitely have it checked out by a professional before just selling it to someone who says "Oh, it's nothing, just a piece of glass, but I'll take it off your hands for a hundred bucks" type thing, and they turn around and sell it for thousands or much more. I've been in the antiques business for over 35 years, so please take my advice. I've had things that looked like they should have been from a dollar store turn out to be worth hundreds, and in a few cases up to a couple of thousand dollars. Have it checked professionally, and do not let anyone scam it out of you or your friend for a pittance.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

Various impurities will change it's color. Most all obsidian is opaque.
There's also snowflake, rainbow and green obsidian. The green stuff is super rare! looks similar to blue green glass..
I have my eye on a piece of it. Trying to haggle the seller down on the price.
Whatever you do, don't buy natural green obsidian online! Unless you want to get ripped off.

If I end up scoring it I will post some pics.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join