It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DOJ Releases Blistering Report on Conduct of Albuquerque Police Department

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   
It looks like the DOJ finally got something right.

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — A scathing report by the U.S. Justice Department released Thursday revealed a troubling and often unjustified pattern of excessive force by the Albuquerque Police Department and recommended that New Mexico’s largest city become the latest municipality to adopt reforms aimed at cleaning up its police force.

And not just Albuquerque!

Albuquerque joins a list of cities targeted by the Justice Department over allegations of brutality and violations of constitutional rights by police officers. Portland and New Orleans, for example, are among those that have been investigated amid similar complaints.

While I applaud the findings of this investigation I have but one big question; Who is going to jail? Or at the very least, being removed from duty and prevented from ever owning a weapon? Oh wait, they are making reforms not actually charging anyone with criminal or reckless behavior. My guess is every single one of the officers that were involved will be not punished, but declared "Reformed"..... Nice Words DOJ. Now do something besides agree with what everyone in the targeted cities already knew.

Link to Story
edit on 10-4-2014 by Mamatus because: added content.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

"Albuquerque officers too frequently used deadly force on people who posed a minimal threat and used a higher level of force too often on those with mental illness, often violating their constitutional rights."

Too frequently... that statement makes me sick. Never in a minimal threat situation should deadly force be used. How about they use their tasers in minimum threat instances.

Oh wait...

"They also uncovered a significant number of instances in which officers used less lethal measures such as Tasers in an unconstitutional manner."

They aren't going to change that culture over time as the report suggests... they just need to fire the whole police force and start over from scratch in my opinion.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

I'm glad you posted this.

I was just saying to a friend of mine that between the missing plane and now Bundy/Nevada, the uprising by the people vs the the Albuquerque police department has taken a back seat.

I dont see this situation as any less serious than the Bundy ranch, possibly even more so.

After the Bundy Ranch matter is settled, patriots should pack up and head right to Albuquerque.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 01:24 AM
link   

gladtobehere
reply to post by Mamatus

I'm glad you posted this.

I was just saying to a friend of mine that between the missing plane and now Bundy/Nevada, the uprising by the people vs the the Albuquerque police department has taken a back seat.

I dont see this situation as any less serious than the Bundy ranch, possibly even more so.

After the Bundy Ranch matter is settled, patriots should pack up and head right to Albuquerque.

I'm pretty sure none of Albuquerque is in a free speech zone.
Maybe they'll draw a small circle in the desert for folks to stand in so they can say what they think.

The idea of a free speech zone is anathema to liberty and freedom.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Nothing will change. The Feds went ballistic on the East Haven, CT PD a couple of years back for all sorts of race and force violations.

A couple of the in-charge cops got shuffled around but in the end the PD is still doing what it has always done and everybody still have their jobs and everybody will still get their pensions.

Think of it like a "gun free" zone sign. Say it all you want. Declare it from the mountain tops. Doesnt change a damn thing down here in reality.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   

MamatusWho is going to jail?

Who indeed, my guess is no one as usual. As you say, this is a ubiquitous problem not limited to the APD.

The only solution to police violence against society is to dramatically reduce municipal police department's funding and staff while increasing accountability and transparency.
edit on 11-4-2014 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

The only way I ever see this ending is if an entire city, county, state as a united people just did not go to work. Call it a skip day in protest and be prepared for it. If everyone bought into it, you would finally see the power of a united people. Those in power would have to take notice. Sadly even a group of 4 can't even agree on what to have for lunch most times.

top topics

join