It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NATO satellite photos show Russian military buildup near Ukraine

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   

TritonTaranis

khimbar
Wait, the Russians are keeping their own military equipment, at their own military bases, inside their own borders? And their own aeroplanes at their own aerodromes? Inside their own country?

The inhuman fiends.

This clearly changes everything. We should probably bomb them or something.

So first you deny it, then when proven otherwise claim the pictures are fake? Lol

Hello.

Please show where I've denied anything or have claimed anything is fake?

Thanks in advance.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Fylgje
Russia is probably preparing for some military exercises. I'm still waiting for the propaganda machine to start comparing Putin to Hitler.

Perhaps you haven't been following the developments but Russia has already held war games in the area which Putin attended recently, there are still large numbers of troops on the boarder, regardless of what armchair generals think, this is a very capable force with all the assets needed for an invasion force

The point were all at now is why is it still there, Russia has denied it is there NATO has provided evidence of it being there HTH

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Britguy
Looking at the numbers and equipment in those images, it sure doesn't look like an invasion force.
Looks more like units on exercise, which we know Russia was running not so long ago, and some of which have since returned to their home bases, thus reducing what was never even close to an invasions strength force!

I guess the press need a story to wag in front of us all though.

NATO commanders and US commanders with a considerable bit more knowledge that you say otherwise

There is 40,000 troops sitting just of the main roads into Ukraine, in 100 make shift bases, with tanks, amour, attack helos, fighter jets, and bombers, what more would you say was needed to be an invasion force? as I think it's pretty obvious it's perfectly kitted out to be so

online.wsj.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   

TritonTaranis

The point were all at now is why is it still there, Russia has denied it is there NATO has provided evidence of it being there HTH

Have you got a link to Russia denying the troops are there please?

Thanks in advance.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

TritonTaranis

Britguy
Looking at the numbers and equipment in those images, it sure doesn't look like an invasion force.
Looks more like units on exercise, which we know Russia was running not so long ago, and some of which have since returned to their home bases, thus reducing what was never even close to an invasions strength force!

NATO commanders and US commanders with a considerable bit more knowledge that you say otherwise

There is 40,000 troops sitting just of the main roads into Ukraine, in 100 make shift bases, with tanks, amour, attack helos, fighter jets, and bombers, what more would you say was needed to be an invasion force? as I think it's pretty obvious it's perfectly kitted out to be so

online.wsj.com...

NATO also have an agenda and not a peaceful one at that.

Can you show me where in the North Atlantic I can find Ukraine, the Black Sea, Crimea and the Russian/Ukranian border?

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   

TritonTaranis

online.wsj.com...

NATO Commanders (another installed US Big Brass type with political aspirations) are usually full of crap! The images relased show nothing like the number of stuff you claim. Oh, they didn't show all the photos? We'll just have to believe them then!

Despite all the alleged mass build up of troops, armour and aircraft on the Ukrainian border, Russia has done nothing to move them from it's own territory, so what exactly is the problem? Nobody bleats about the NATO and US (same thing) build up of military bases and missile stations around Russia over the last decade or so. But I guess that's ok with you and the Russians should just suck it up and take it?
Seriously, talk about a warped outlook!
edit on 11-4-2014 by Britguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   

TritonTaranis

Britguy

online.wsj.com...

I agree, Russia is the definately moving their country towards a threatening position against NATO.

How does one move a country anyway? Was it picked up by satellite? Boy some heads should roll, somebody dropped the ball if they can sneak an entire country (and the largest one on the planet at that!) past the world police.

edit on 11-4-2014 by pookle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   

The satellite images released by NATO that allegedly show a current build-up of Russian troops near Ukrainian border were taken in August 2013 amid military drills, a source in the General Staff of the Russian Army has said.

RT

Wonder if this is plausible deny-ability in the works?
Nothing to see here........Surprise!

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Phage
reply to post by kloejen

That's why satellite photos are used for surveillance. Ground surveillance is very limited in scope.

Did you notice that the locations of the satellite photos are marked?

Driving along a highway...brilliant.

Are you taking the position that the satellite images are faked? Just curious.

edit on 4/10/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Just posting what i found on CNN, and they seemed to agree with the notion of a army build up was false.
I agree, driving around the "border" is not quite the investigative approach i would have expected from a "professional journalist center" either.
Then again, 40.000 men and equipment, wouldn't the locals have heard or seen something? Unless they are all in on it?

Yes, my position is highly speculative on the authenticity of the satellite images. Likely they might be false / incorrect in some way. Not deliberately... of course

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Nope. More NATO bull#.

rt.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Wasn't there a plane with representatives from some countries allowed to fly over Russia not long ago to view the border?

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Davian
Nope. More NATO bull#.

rt.com...

According to Putinist propoganda (RT is a useful media source on some subjects, but presents a Putinist opinion and on issues such as this is as reliable as the Daily Express is on UK weather)

On the other hand, why did Putin order a withdrawal of forces from the border if they were never there in the first place?

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by tommyjo

Good find indeed...

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
All this troops placement is 2 purposes

a) Show of force to influence Ukrainian elections in May. Russians want Eastern Ukraine parties to get strong hold in power.

b) If the riots and chaos go out of control in Eastern part and Kiev cracks down hard, then Russians will cross over to calm the situation down. In this scenario, Crimea style referendums will take place. If first scenario does not have results in favor of Russian interests, then second scenario will come true.

There is one issue which might have negative effects on Russia in the event they annex the eastern part. Ukraine has $120B of debt. Annexing half the country will make Russia responsible for around $60B of debt. In the break up of USSR, Russia undertook ALL the debt and obligations of the ex-union. Not this time.

Atleast over 25 years, Russians have learned the power of bucks over acting like a benevolent power.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   

TritonTaranis

Wow good find

I guess Nicholas Balabaev is giving Mr Putin a major facepalm moment

I agree. He'll be clamping down on aviation enthusiasts! Also note that the Su-33s when deployed into the airbase were live armed carryng R-27 and R-73s air-to-air missiles.

Article on the airbase from February 2013.

www.janes.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I think Russia is enjoying keeping NATO et al. distracted and spending THEIR money by poking about the bordering countries

Great way to exhaust your opponent before they begin, have them chasing their tail in circles.

Also by forcing partner for peace members into full membership, those countries have to SPEND SPEND a LOT more just to please NATO.

More NATO jets, well thats more fuel to buy
More mouths to feed, needs gas to cook usually.

One thing I do see is they are playing by the rule book, toeing the line on every thing that is written more or less. Look at how he is handling GasProm and Ukraines debt, he is following the contract to the letter which basically means no comeback to him, contract is a contract.

edit on 11-4-2014 by pookle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

kookoos

You do realise it is easy to edit 1) metadata and 2) overlay's and watermarks, especially if you are the originator of the said images.

I would prefer to see independent imaging from some other (or indeed multiple) sources.

Is there any way to confirm the actual image date based on the aircraft and ground feature SHADOWS? or even the green features for season information in the region.

edit on 11-4-2014 by kookoos because: (no reason given)

The Su-33s weren't deployed into the airbase until 10th March 2014. What more proof do you want? The Russian aviation enthusiast caught them coming in live-armed. The base was previously reported to be only become operational by Russian media by November 2014. Obviously someone deemed it necessary to deploy the live armed Su-33s into the base that corresponded with the situation in Crimea. Think about it this is commercially available satellite imagery and available for anyone to purchase. So with that in mind why isn't the likes of RT buying the imagery of Yeysk from the 22nd March and proving that the imagery is fake and from August 2013? Remember this is a newly constructed facility for Russian Navy carrier training. The imagery fits in with the Su-33 deployment during March. It proves that the Russian media responses are simply going through the motions with their blanket denial that all the images are from August 2013. Think about how easy it would be for journalists around the world to buy commercial sat imagery for those 2014 dates and to catch NATO out in a lie?

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Well, in any generals eyes sending troops to your boarder alongside an unstable country is smart. Most of these military vehicles and equipment were most likely stationed there when all this stuff in Crimea started, and more reinforcements were most likely sent there just in case. Also, what better place to run drills and exercises than in the area that is currently a hot zone for military activity. They most likely have a lot of troops in that area, and what else are they going to do? Sit around, play cards? No they will be drilled, and practice for worst case scenario.

I am on the fence with this one. If they really wanted to be covert about the whole thing, they wouldn't station all those fighter planes in one area, they would station them to the closest relay point.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

NATO DEFENDS ACCURACY OF SATELLITE IMAGES WITH ADDITIONAL PROOF
11 Apr 2014

Mons, BELGIUM - Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe (SHAPE) defends the accuracy of the images (found below) that were released to media on Thursday, 10 April 2014. The dates of the images released by SHAPE were collected by the DigitalGlobe satellite 'Constellation' between late March and early April 2014. The images are unclassified and are commercially available in DigitalGlobe's public archive. SHAPE did not alter or edit the images in any way prior to release.

Russian officials are quoted in various media sources claiming that these images were from August 2013, and that they depict an exercise conducted at that time.

SHAPE is releasing additional images alongside those that were released earlier, in order to clearly show that the claims of Russian officials are categorically false. These images, also taken from the DigitalGlobe satellite and commercially available, show the same areas of interest prior to any military build-up. The photographs, some dating from 2013, and others from early 2014, show that these areas were unoccupied prior to March 2014. There is no evidence of any military activity in these areas in 2013 or early 2014.

When reviewed alongside images released by SHAPE earlier today, it is clear that the military build-up of forces occurred in early March 2014.

SHAPE stands firm in its assessment that Russian forces in the vicinity of the border with Ukraine number in the range of 35,000 to 40,000 troops and are equipped with infantry fighting vehicles, tanks, combat aircraft, logistics, and artillery. These forces are destabilizing to the region, which is why the North Atlantic Council has repeatedly called upon Russia to de-escalate the situation by withdrawing troops from the border with Ukraine.

Additional images have been published on the website.

www.aco.nato.int...

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   

tommyjo

NATO DEFENDS ACCURACY OF SATELLITE IMAGES WITH ADDITIONAL PROOF
11 Apr 2014

Mons, BELGIUM - Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe (SHAPE) defends the accuracy of the images (found below) that were released to media on Thursday, 10 April 2014. The dates of the images released by SHAPE were collected by the DigitalGlobe satellite 'Constellation' between late March and early April 2014. The images are unclassified and are commercially available in DigitalGlobe's public archive. SHAPE did not alter or edit the images in any way prior to release.

Russian officials are quoted in various media sources claiming that these images were from August 2013, and that they depict an exercise conducted at that time.

SHAPE is releasing additional images alongside those that were released earlier, in order to clearly show that the claims of Russian officials are categorically false. These images, also taken from the DigitalGlobe satellite and commercially available, show the same areas of interest prior to any military build-up. The photographs, some dating from 2013, and others from early 2014, show that these areas were unoccupied prior to March 2014. There is no evidence of any military activity in these areas in 2013 or early 2014.

When reviewed alongside images released by SHAPE earlier today, it is clear that the military build-up of forces occurred in early March 2014.

SHAPE stands firm in its assessment that Russian forces in the vicinity of the border with Ukraine number in the range of 35,000 to 40,000 troops and are equipped with infantry fighting vehicles, tanks, combat aircraft, logistics, and artillery. These forces are destabilizing to the region, which is why the North Atlantic Council has repeatedly called upon Russia to de-escalate the situation by withdrawing troops from the border with Ukraine.

Additional images have been published on the website.

www.aco.nato.int...

Well there you have it Russia yet again caught lying through its teeth, what a surprise

Let's see the sympathises disprove the claim

Tbh it's good to see NATO responding and making an arse of the comical kremlins propaganda
edit on 11-4-2014 by TritonTaranis because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join