It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NATO satellite photos show Russian military buildup near Ukraine

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
So here's the proof to which Russia has denied for nearly a month along with many other things

It seems we can't trust a single word coming from Russia and Putin on Ukraine

(Reuters) - NATO unveiled satellite photographs on Thursday it said showed Russian deployments of some 40,000 troops near the Ukrainian frontier, along with long lines of tanks, armored vehicles, artillery and aircraft ready for action. "This is a force that is very capable, at high readiness, and, as we have illustrated through the imagery, is close to routes and lines of communication," British Brigadier Gary Deakin said at a briefing at NATO military headquarters at Mons in southern Belgium. "It has the resources to be able to move quickly into Ukraine if it was ordered to do so," he said. If Russian political leaders took a decision to send forces into Ukraine, the first Russian forces could be on the move within 12 hours. NATO has spotted Russian forces at more than 100 different sites close to the Ukraine border, he said. The Western alliance displayed the commercial satellite images to reporters as evidence to back up its warnings of a Russian military buildup that could threaten Ukraine. Russia denies massing forces near the border and accuses NATO of fomenting concern to rally support for the alliance.

It looks as if Russia has been caught yet again continuously lying through its teeth

Continue reading here
www.reuters.com...

More links
www.bbc.co.uk...

www.theguardian.com...

www.news24.com...

mashable.com...

Images

Russian Spetsnaz, Agents & Activists caught in Ukraine Destabilisation
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 10-4-2014 by TritonTaranis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Yeah...but...but.

An official in the Russian military general staff said the NATO satellite photographs were taken in August 2013, state-run news agency RIA reported.

"These photographs that were distributed by NATO depict units of Russian forces of the Southern Military District which conducted various exercises last summer, some of them near the border with Ukraine," RIA quoted what it said was a high-level official in the Russian general staff as saying.
www.newsweek.com...
Sure they are. Sort of silly to deny it but it will be interesting to get an "official", on the record, statement from the Kremlin. Not an anonymous quote on RIA.

A NATO official responded that the images were from March and April this year and each image showed the date it was taken.

edit on 4/10/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TritonTaranis

I'm not feeling the Russian Nuclear Bomber planes...no reason for them to be there militarily speaking..not even for a show of force...I'm not buying that description..

I stand corrected they do appear to be nuclear bombers
edit on 10-4-2014 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

Those would be supersonic TU-22s. Backfires. Swingwings with their wings in supersonic configuration.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Don think Putin will be satisfied until Russia absorbs all of Ukraine not really a question of if but when ? NATO is powerless to intervene and he knows it. Moldova will be next closely followed by Lithuania. He wont get a bloody nose until Russian boots set foot in Poland and Finland. As for nuclear bombers its a crying shame the UK got rid of the daddy of them all turn up your speakers and absorb gods roar....

www.youtube.com...
edit on 10-4-2014 by 18731542 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-4-2014 by 18731542 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   

I would be really interested in seeing what the satellite images looked like one year ago...Russia put a lot of bases in Place when we put some patriot interceptors in Poland a while back...(by a while back I mean a few years ago)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Good for them! They should stay there too, until N.A.T.O and the U.S withdraws the ( coughs ) defense shield.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
This could be true and if it is, it's of some concern. I am unwilling to trust the word of NATO that these pictures are legitimate. Anyone remember Iraq building up troops along the Saudi border in 1990 (except it was a lie)?

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   

chrismarco

I'm not feeling the Russian Nuclear Bomber planes...no reason for them to be there militarily speaking..not even for a show of force...I'm not buying that description..

I stand corrected they do appear to be nuclear bombers
edit on 10-4-2014 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

The Tupolev Tu-22 carry a wide range of ordinance it's doubtful they would be used to nuke Ukraine, they have a large payload capability

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I'm more than sure the originals from last year will prove to be different Russia is buying time for these guys on the ground to get there job done

www.abovetopsecret.com...

So many lies and continuously getting caught out

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

InvisibleOwl
This could be true and if it is, it's of some concern. I am unwilling to trust the word of NATO that these pictures are legitimate. Anyone remember Iraq building up troops along the Saudi border in 1990 (except it was a lie)?

Sure did!

In early January, Hussein's troops began to withdraw from Kuwait, but the Pentagon claimed to have satellite photographs showing an enormous buildup of Iraqi forces and weapons, 250,000 Iraqi troops and 1500 tanks massing in the desert for their impending attack on Saudi Arabia. This announcement stunned the anti-war protesters, and world opinion gradually shifted, although no one saw the alleged photos, which were, of course, classified.

Jean Heller, an ace journalist from the St. Petersburg Times in Florida, persuaded her editors to buy two photos from the Russian commercial satellite, the Soyuz Karta, taken September 11 and September 13. The photos proved that the entire Iraqi airforce was parked in Riyadh and that Iraqi troops were nowhere to be found massing in the desert. The editors asked two former Defense Intelligence Agency analysts to examine the photos. They, too, were surprised that the pictures showed American jets arrayed on the Saudi Arabian border but no troops at all on the Kuwaiti border.

Peter Zimmerman, a satellite expert at George Washington University, said,

"We could see clearly the main road leading right through Kuwait, south to Saudi Arabia, but it was covered with sand banks from the wind and it was clear that no army had moved over it. We could see empty barracks where you would have expected these thousands of troops to be billeted, but they were deserted as well."

Then a strange thing happened. Major news organizations, including Newsweek, the Chicago Tribune, and ABC, perused the photos but decided not to publish a story that would contradict the government's information. The Iraqi military buildup, which did not exist, was Bush's justification for dispatching troops, yet the American media refused to expose the government's lie. The only honest American journalists were in St. Petersburg, Florida.

After the war, the House Armed Services Committee concluded that at the beginning of the ground war in February, the Iraqi troops numbered 183,000, not the 250,000 "discovered" by the Pentagon satellite.

The alleged Pentagon satellite photos are still classified.

source & wiki

and from there on to the fake dead babies story... who makes this stuff up ?

Wouldn't surprise me if the Nato sat photos indeed are faked or outdated - what is the whole idea behind this ?
edit on 10/4/2014 by kloejen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by kloejen

The difference being, that well...there are the pictures. Whereas with Iraq, they didn't produce any pictures.

And, btw, these pictures are from a commercial satellite.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Alright after looking up the Buturlinovka base on google maps you can see that it was in fact empty. The map data image was taken sometime in 2014.

On an interesting side note apparently Russia had also moved some troops to the Finland Border which is far but not that far..link

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

I would naturally assume they could carry multiple ordinance..I didn't realize they were swept wing planes so that threw me off...this isn't the 80's..my mistake..

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Phage
reply to post by kloejen

The difference being, that well...there are the pictures. Whereas with Iraq, they didn't produce any pictures.

I guess the supposed image information is from the US Skynet satellites, which feeds Nat ?

Skynet is a family of military satellites, now operated by Astrium Services on behalf of the UK Ministry of Defence, which provide strategic communication services to the three branches of the British Armed Forces and to NATO forces engaged on coalition tasks.

Skynet (satellite)

This thing is that the US have previously been deceitful, regarding satellite imagery. So why trust them now ?

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

InvisibleOwl

Yes I remember

If I remember rightly NATO never said anything of the sort, the US/White House did...

This was all after 120,000 Iraqi troops with 850 tanks had poured into Kuwait on a land grab... The US needed to convince the Saudis to allow the use of its airspace by supposedly duping them into what many claim to be false threats, but that's neither here nor there considering where talking about NATO and Ukraine and not the US and there mistakes in Iraq

And the difference here is, the supposed aerial photos proving the accusation against Iraq were never released because of security reasons, so I guess In a way it's still inconclusive

Anyway let's talk about NATOs satellite images

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by kloejen

The supposed image information is from the US Skynet satellites, which feeds Nato.

No. It is from Digital Globe. The same stuff we see on Google Earth.

The photographs were taken by commercial satellite imaging company Digital Globe.

www.channel4.com...

This thing is that the US have previously been deceitful, regarding satellite imagery.
So why trust them now ?

1) It isn't US government imagery
2) It isn't coming from the US
3) It puts the Kremlin in a tough spot

edit on 4/10/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Phage
reply to post by kloejen

Sure they did....remember the "mobile chemical weapons labs?? Also some various other photos I remember that Collin Bowel standing beside

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Phage
1) It isn't US government imagery

I understand.

Phage
2) It isn't coming from the US

Technically it is

DigitalGlobe (NYSE: DGI), of Longmont, Colorado, United States, is a commercial vendor of space imagery and geospatial content, and operator of civilian remote sensing spacecraft.

wiki

Phage
3) It puts the Kremlin in a tough spot

Sure does

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Sure they did....remember the "mobile chemical weapons labs?? Also some various other photos I remember that Collin Bowel standing beside
I remember it well. I remember thinking, "What? Did he really say that?"

But it's pretty hard to mistake Backfires and Flankers for anything else.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join