It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poverty and Violence Push New Wave of Migrants Toward U.S.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

From the New York Times

After six years of steep declines across the Southwest, illegal crossings have soared in South Texas while remaining low elsewhere. The Border Patrol made more than 90,700 apprehensions in the Rio Grande Valley in the past six months, a 69 percent increase over last year.

The migrants are no longer primarily Mexican laborers. Instead they are Central Americans, including many families with small children and youngsters without their parents, who risk a danger-filled journey across Mexico. Driven out by deepening poverty but also by rampant gang violence, increasing numbers of migrants caught here seek asylum, setting off lengthy legal procedures to determine whether they qualify.

Pew Research
states we may well be on our way to breaking the 12.2 million record of Unauthorized Immigrants set back in 2007, before the crash.

Then a report by 2014 Latin American and Caribbean Macroeconomic Report raises serious questions about the future of Latin American economies. As in they are on the brink of total collapse.

Two days ago Fox Nation printed a story on their web site

For USA Today, Alan Gomez wrote this week that “there is growing consensus that changes in the economies of Latin America and the U.S. are creating the perfect climate for another wave of undocumented immigrants racing north.”

But to understand the real reason all those people are coming here I offer another quote from todays NYT

With detention facilities, asylum offices and immigration courts overwhelmed, enough migrants have been released temporarily in the United States that back home in Central America people have heard that those who make it to American soil have a good chance of staying.

“Word has gotten out that we’re giving people permission and walking them out the door,” said Chris Cabrera, a Border Patrol agent who is vice president of the local of the National Border Patrol Council, the agents’ union. “So they’re coming across in droves.”

Unaccompanied minors pose a whole other level of problems. Minors without parents are turned over to the Department of Health and Human Services, who then places them in shelters, giving them education medical services and tries to place them with family already living in the US but many will become wards of the states nonetheless.
35,000 this year, triple the number two years ago.

19 months is the average wait for an immigration hearing. Women with children are sent to the nearest facility for “family units” and that is in Pennsylvania. But because detention beds fill up, and migrants deemed to present "No security risk" are released under supervision. Many simply walk away=---after all ya cant lock up the ladies and wee kiddies for close to a year and a half without the ACLU getting all in a tizzy.

Basically this and lots of other stories just like are predicting 'Hordes' Their words not mine Flocking to our country
edit on 10-4-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-4-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

(post by HanzHenry removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
How can you blame these people for simply moving to somewhere where there are better opportunities. Getting into the us the legal way isn't cheap, nor is it fair. How can you blame these people only wanting to do better for themselves?

I think you should vent that frustration at your government, who has been doing everything within their power to use you and every other citizen of this country to fund agendas contradicting to those of the people paying for them.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   

andr3w68
How can you blame these people for simply moving to somewhere where there are better opportunities. Getting into the us the legal way isn't cheap, nor is it fair. How can you blame these people only wanting to do better for themselves?

I think you should vent that frustration at your government, who has been doing everything within their power to use you and every other citizen of this country to fund agendas contradicting to those of the people paying for them.

blame? they are COMING here and DONT BELONG HERE.. ffs,!!

A THIEF is just looking for a better opportunity when they break into your house.

These invaders:
1. SPONGE TAX DOLLARS from an already burdened system MY ANCESTORS paid into for GENERATIONS
2. They LOWER wages FOR MY FELLOW AMERICANS!!
3. they PUSH RENTS higher by living HERE!!

I HATE THEM for the 3 reasons mentioned above

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

I'm not saying this is a good thing or a bad thing.
But this problem with our open border policy is really going to bite us in the 'A'

With the legal system backed up, officers have no choice but to release these folks pending hearings, but with so many folks being added to those roles everyday pretty soon the backlog will be untenable un manageable, and then what happens?

Can't send them home without the bleeding hearts raising a fuss.
Their nebulous citizenship status prevents them from ever getting hired for a good job.

Sooner rather than later something's gonna give, and then what?

This single issue is turning into a real mess because no one wants to talk about it.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by andr3w68

Please, continue. I haven't laughed this hard in a while.

If a person breaks the law by entering illegally into a country, how do you expect them to follow other laws? They have no respect for you, legal aliens, legal immigrants, the United States, or U.S. laws.

And as the above poster so aptly commented, how can we blame thief's and robbers for just wanting to do better for themselves?

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Why do there have to be Americans? Why do there have to be Immigrants? Are we not all just humans? Why do you act like these people are monsters, when had they have been born a couple hundred miles north you might have befriended them?

All they are doing is trying to better their life....

How is them moving their person a crime? Stealing something is a crime. Someone saying, oh, Id like to move here where there are better opportunities is not committing a crime in my opinion.

edit on 10-4-2014 by andr3w68 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
You guys move south lol that'll mess them allll up. They're running northward and you're all running southward heh.

Mexicans will be like wtf?
edit on 10-4-2014 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Well Hispanics around here are leaving our town BECAUSE of poverty and lack of work. A good friend of mine recently moved back to Guatemala. I asked him why he would want to go back. His answer? "If I'm going to be poor at least I can be poor there...with my family".

Land of opportunity my a#.

'Merica

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TiedDestructor

better than hangin out at home depot

edit on 10-4-2014 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   

andr3w68

Why do there have to be Americans? Why do there have to be Immigrants? Are we not all just humans? Why do you act like these people are monsters, when had they have been born a couple hundred miles north you might have befriended them?

All they are doing is trying to better their life....

How is them moving their person a crime? Stealing something is a crime. Someone saying, oh, Id like to move here where there are better opportunities is not committing a crime in my opinion.

edit on 10-4-2014 by andr3w68 because: (no reason given)

how about my family just setup in your living room, i mean HECK WE ARE HUNGRY.

and how about I allow them to eat from your fridge?
and then FORCE you to shell out MORE in taxes so MY kids can go to college, you can pay our medical bills, etc..

and I go to your employer and STEAL YOUR JOB for LOWER PAY?

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
We should legalize every single one of them. We should force them to take work at average start pay though. We should imprison all those that hire illegals at slave labor prices. watch how quickly things balance out.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by HardCorps

I strongly urge people like the aggravated gentleman you are chatting with to remember a major thing. The meth-heads and coc aine addicts in OUR NATION create violence in the Central American nations. OUR POLICIES and OUR PEOPLE create the floodgate of drugs and violence.

Why I'm replying to you sir? I'd like to ask, how's Colorado doing since the legalization? Maybe nationwide such a change would lower the cartel induced violence. This violence certainly isn't helping Central American nations. It's too often that people learn to HATE others, neglecting all of the negatives that come with such short tempered reasoning like obvious racism. As shallow as hating someone for their geographical origins or skin coloring/hair texture are as shallow as the hate derived solutions will get.

The funds from our Government would be put better to enforcing borders and encouraging visitors to return home after their stays. Also, the national language needs to become English once and for all.

Would you agree here? How about legalization and then taxation? Illegals already pay Sales Tax, how about learn English or try again policy? Just like all the other European Nations with STRICT immigration policy with native language use being required.
If they want to stay here they must become citizens or leave. Citizens speak English and are taxed when they work.
edit on 10-4-2014 by BlubberyConspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Let me ask you all another question...
If, as they say, this is a sign of Latin American economies falling apart.
and we know China is more than a little shaky right now.
god knows our own economy is still on the mend.

So could this be an early warning sign of a global collapse ?

I mean when you think about it anyone would want to flew to some perceived safety right?

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Global Collapse is coming in some form, things as we know it are changing for better or worse. As more and more regions of this world get a voice and humans begin to occupy most corners of the globe, this game of empire and oppression will end in collateral.

The poverty in Central America is just vestigial of smaller than global scale instability in the North American region. I do for sure believe that when it comes to global collapse these nations already in poverty won't decelerate the collapse that's for sure.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by BlubberyConspiracy

Why I'm replying to you sir? I'd like to ask, how's Colorado doing since the legalization? Maybe nationwide such a change would lower the cartel induced violence. -

If you follow the news and not the hype then I would say were no better off now than we were before...A part from the "Gov" collecting millions of dollars in tax revenue.

We still have our illegal trade, still have kids dying from OD's Still have all the same problems any other state has. But it does look like we will a lot of extra tax dollars to dump into the school's next year. as long as the politicos don't screw that up too

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Illegal immigration could be solved fairly easily. Landmine the southern border and build sniper towers every 1/2 mile or so to catch any lucky ones, and I guarantee in a month illegals trying to cross that area will drop 99.99% or more.

For other areas like river crossings, just put up towers and make it abundantly clear that people trying to cross illegally will be shot on site.

But TPTB dont want to stop illegal immigration at all. It boils down to an effort of cultural dilution; diluting the percentage of the dominant culture with another one, fracturing the populace and making it difficult for them to unify, for instance, in order to overthrow a corrupt rogue government regime in the pocket of the corporate oligarchy (current US, and probably most other western nations, governments).

Culture unifies a people, and a unified people are exceptionally dangerous to a government who has fallen out of favor with those unified people.

Divide and conquer is the game here. Immigration is not stopped because it benefits those already in power to allow it to continue.

Obviously this has been going on for decades now, and isnt something new.

edit on 4/10/2014 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
hmm, you'd think they'd just stop and live right there. right by a water source. look at the pic.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by HardCorps

I say that for every Mexican citizen that is caught, we make Mexico pay for their support. Then if their economy does collapse because of that, then perhaps they won't be so casual at allowing it to happen.

The Mexican government is not stopping them from going, that would be wrong. But they are allowing them to go into a country they know is bankrupting us, so therefore, Mexico is as much to blame because it does nothing to help their own citizens to stay and help build a more thriving economy.

We should just make Mexico another state, problem solved. Then they would not be complaining any more about economic opportunities. Don't they realize that by coming here illegally, that they are going to bankrupt us as well? Make it a state and then no more complaints. And if they don't like the idea of becoming Americans, why are they coming here in the first place?

BTW, they are also invading Canada, we warned Canada but Canada didn't listen. So deal with it Canadians when it happens that your economy collapses also. Why don't Americans turn the tables and invade Mexico? Wait, aren't we also supporting their economy by tourism?

Yes, great idea, Mexico becomes another state. Then they don't have to complain about no opportunity, be given legal insurance and medical care, housing and all of that good stuff. And what does the US get out of the deal? A bigger economy, more citizens, more military, oil reserves and Mayan temples.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Nephalim
hmm, you'd think they'd just stop and live right there. right by a water source. look at the pic.

Their crossing the Rio Grande.
Down there it's on the top ten most polluted rivers in the world list.

Not only can you not drink it it's not all that safe to swim in.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join