It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Colbert to replace David Letterman on "Late Show"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Stephen Colbert to replace David Letterman on "Late Show"

CBS wasted no time in replacing David Letterman and issued a press release today announcing that Stphen Colbert will taking over for David Letterman on the Late Show in 2015.

The CBS Television Network today announced that Stephen Colbert, the host, writer and executive producer of the Emmy and Peabody Award-winning “The Colbert Report,” will succeed David Letterman as the host of THE LATE SHOW, effective when Mr. Letterman retires from the broadcast. The five-year agreement between CBS and Colbert was announced by Leslie Moonves, President and CEO, CBS Corporation, and Nina Tassler, Chairman of CBS Entertainment.

Letterman, the legendary, critically acclaimed host of the CBS late night series for 21 years, announced his retirement on his April 3 broadcast. Colbert’s premiere date as host of THE LATE SHOW will be announced after Mr. Letterman determines a timetable for his final broadcasts in 2015.

Specific creative elements, as well as the producers and the location for the Colbert-hosted LATE SHOW, will be determined and announced at a later date.

“Stephen Colbert is one of the most inventive and respected forces on television,” said Moonves. “David Letterman’s legacy and accomplishments are an incredible source of pride for all of us here, and today’s announcement speaks to our commitment of upholding what he established for CBS in late night.”

“Stephen is a multi-talented and respected host, writer, producer, satirist and comedian who blazes a trail of thought-provoking conversation, humor and innovation with everything he touches,” said Tassler. ”He is a presence on every stage, with interests and notable accomplishments across a wide spectrum of entertainment, politics, publishing and music. We welcome Stephen to CBS with great pride and excitement, and look forward to introducing him to our network television viewers in late night.”

“Simply being a guest on David Letterman’s show has been a highlight of my career,” said Colbert. “I never dreamed that I would follow in his footsteps, though everyone in late night follows Dave’s lead.”

Adding, “I’m thrilled and grateful that CBS chose me. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go grind a gap in my front teeth.”

I couldn't be happier with their choice. Stephen Colbert is bright, witty and fresh. I've always liked Letterman and found him to be pretty intelligent and a mostly gracious host.

I think Colbert will give Jimmy Fallon a run for his money!

edit on 10-4-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
So I wonder will he be playing himself or the right wing character he has been developing for years?

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
That should water down his politics. Who doesn't think that is by design?

'Welcome to the main stream Steve… tone it down a little", whisper the network overlords.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Also known as,

The death of Stephen Colbert's career.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Elton
So I wonder will he be playing himself or the right wing character he has been developing for years?

Good question!

reply to post by intrptr

Good point!

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

intrptr

That should water down his politics. Who doesn't think that is by design?

'Welcome to the main stream Steve… tone it down a little", whisper the network overlords.

Jon Stewart was offered and rejected it. May as well let Stephen go mainstream. He might make it just a little better. Stewart can carry the torch for no punches held comedy....

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Oh noez! I love Stephen, too - but - does this mean he'll dump the Colbert Report??

Who will they give his 'slot' to on Comedy Central? Another one of the 'recurring characters' on the Daily Show?

ETA: I saw the headline for the yvid you posted...
I bought copies of his book for my entire family. Have you read it?? Awesomeness.
Truthiness like nobody's business.

He also spoke at my kid's graduation from college - it was wonderful.
edit on 4/10/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Jon Stewart was offered and rejected it. May as well let Stephen go mainstream. He might make it just a little better. Stewart can carry the torch for no punches held comedy….

We'll see how they transcend to Colbert's firebrand humor.

Whats left of Letterman's ratings anyway.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by BuzzyWigs

ETA: I saw the headline for the yvid you posted...
I bought copies of his book for my entire family. Have you read it?? Awesomeness.
Truthiness like nobody's business.

Uh uh. But I have his book, I Am American (And So Can You). Hilarious!

He also spoke at my kid's graduation from college - it was wonderful. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

How very cool!

edit on 10-4-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Happy for the guy. He's perfect for the job. But I have to wonder: Once he takes over the show, does this mean the whole #cancelcolbert thing worked?

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Single greatest decision they could have EVER made

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Source

Moonves says Colbert will not portray his Comedy Central character when he hosts the late-night show.

The news will leave a big gap in the lineup at Comedy Central, which has aired "The Colbert Report" since 2005. The network issued the following statement Thursday: "Comedy Central is proud that the incredibly talented Stephen Colbert has been part of our family for nearly two decades. We look forward to the next eight months of the ground-breaking 'Colbert Report' and wish Stephen the very best."

This is great news and I will be looking forward to watching Stephen on the "Late Show". But I will miss his Comedy Central character.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Elton

Well. I wonder if Comedy central owns the Character, as he even changed the pronouncing of his last name when he went from the Daily show to the Colbert report.

Id wager the "character" of the right winged Colbert, will be replaced and the show will go on with another Daily show alumni.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Everything about his show and his on screen persona will be watered down and censored. To me this is actually bad news, being a fan of all the different bits he does (owned by Comedy Central, no doubt.) Isn't CBS the network with the most elderly viewership? They are not his current audience...

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Yes, I wonder how his "right-wing" minstrel show would play to middle America? He'll have to tone that down if they expect people to want to watch it. I already found Dave's blatant politics tiresome. That's all Colbert currently is - politics and blatantly partisan ones at that.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

centhwevir1979
Everything about his show and his on screen persona will be watered down and censored. To me this is actually bad news, being a fan of all the different bits he does (owned by Comedy Central, no doubt.) Isn't CBS the network with the most elderly viewership? They are not his current audience...

Yeah. I think that's the strategy, to draw a younger audience. When Jay Leno left, the more youthful audience flocked to Jimmy Fallon and all the old folk stayed with Dave. CBS is feeling the ratings crunch, I guess.

Colbert should bring a youthful audience to the late show, and possibly more a intellectual audience than Jimmy Fallon's.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I love colbert comedy style, but replacing letterman, im not sure how thats going to work.

Kinda odd but oh well only time will tell.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I did not bother watching Letterman for many years now. Nor will I bother watching a single episode of the new Late Night show. Oh and who the heck is Jimmy Fallon anyway? I stopped watching the Tonight Show not long after Johnny Carson left......

I will miss the Colbert Report. It was a little mid day gem that always made me laugh. Sorry Stephen, I enjoyed your character and outright stabs in the face of those you taunted. Your wit will be missed as you fade off into late night obscurity..........

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Terrible decision for Steve.
His parody ultra neocon character is what is big...but this isn't a question of if..he will not be using the character in the show. He is going to be his regular self (which almost nobody has seen actually...just some general calm dude..funny sure, but not amazing)

So, its my opinion he has decided to go from a giant fish in a pond to a small fish in a ocean.

Bad move Stephen, you will be missed..

(my prediction for it being a bad move, but it is documented he won't be the character if he goes to the late show)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

That's all Colbert currently is - politics and blatantly partisan ones at that. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

So...
I take it he offends you. Is that correct?

Do you know anything about his background, his true self vs his 'character'? His actual ideology?? I'm betting not.

I bet you hate Bill Maher also.
Amirite?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join