It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sweden to trial six-hour public sector workday, pay remains the same.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

I totally believe in this, I worked in the cellular sales field for 12 years with a 30 hour work week average, 3 days off each week and I loved it. I was also a top producer and had an actual passion for my work, unlike the 40 hour a week factory work I did before that and the highly stressful and demanding retail job I have to do now. I believe they will see positive results from trying this.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
And sooner or later Sweden fully functioning smart AI that controls all of its fully automated robotic factories that all run on sustainable energy will began mass production of graphene and build 5 mile high paradise cities that can house 100 million people, sustainably, for free.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
It's nice to see a society that strives for a better quality of life for EVERYBODY. With all of this technology we have in the World today, there is no reason for us to be working as much as we do.

In the USA, we pride ourselves on how many hours of work we put in a day.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Ya know, since half their population is kneeling on rug 5 times a day - they don't put in more than 6 hours as it is.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Visitor2012

Gonna have to agree.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I was actually discussing this with a coworker just yesterday. 4 day work weeks would be just as productive, and people would spend more on recreational activities because they'd have more time for them.

Shorter work week, not necessarily shorter work day - I think it would have a positive effect also.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Visitor2012

You say that like it is a shameful disgusting malicious act of violence.

Yes, we pride ourselves on our creativity, ingenuity and productivity.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

greencmp

So does Germany, UK, Japan, France and Korea who are known for there inventiveness and productiveness. Its not a unique US trait.

More ours at work doesn't automatically equal more creativity and productivity. Its how you use those hours that counts.
Im sure there are Germans that put more effort and productiveness in there work than a American in 8 hours.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

crazyewok

greencmp

So does Germany, UK, Japan, France and Korea who are known for there inventiveness and productiveness. Its not a unique US trait.

More ours at work doesn't automatically equal more creativity and productivity. Its how you use those hours that counts.
Im sure there are Germans that put more effort and productiveness in there work than a American in 8 hours.

Exactly, it isn't evil or bad to be productive.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

greencmp

yup. In fact I think its a vital trait to any successful country and the most successful country's in the world have all got very long history's of productiveness.

But I think its important to separate time doing work and productiveness.

If you get more work done over a sustained period of time in 6 hours than 8 then its something that may need to be looked at.
edit on 10-4-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

crazyewok

greencmp

yup. In fact I think its a vital trait to any successful country and the most successful country's in the world have all got very long history's of productiveness.

But I think its important to separate time doing work and productiveness.

If you get more work done over a sustained period of time in 6 hours than 8 then its something that may need to be looked at.
edit on 10-4-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

Personally, I believe in the pay for product or result model rather than intellectual or physical labor by the hour model.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

greencmp

Personally, I believe in the pay for product or result model rather than intellectual or physical labor by the hour model.

I have to agree. Pay by the hour to me is one of the less effective means.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   

greencmp

Visitor2012

'disgusting malicious act of violence'? A little overkill wouldn't you think? Let's be totally honest here. Most jobs in America do not promote, support or nurture creativity, ingenuity or productivity.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Lol. I just laugh. They're talking about 6 hour days, and I was looking at 12+ hour days at the cannery, virtually every day of the week. All that doing the SAME positions repetitively, probably retarding the mind and damaging the joints. By comparison, my job at the condo's was like being in heaven.

But work is healthy in moderate doses, like 6-9 hours. Not every day of the week. I do think it's important to exercise every day, but work? No. In fact, is going to the bathroom work? Some people might say yes. Is taking a class at college work? Is pursuing a hobby work? Is caring for your kids or your pets work? What about making dinner? Some dinners can take a while to make and are messy. People do it because it tastes good and they want wholesome food. That's the reward.

I know I'm not alone when I say working makes me feel rejuvenated, in the right amounts. I don't like doing it so much, depending on what it's and whether I enjoy talking to coworkers, but it feels great afterwards, for sure.
edit on 10-4-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Visitor2012

greencmp

Visitor2012

'disgusting malicious act of violence'? A little overkill wouldn't you think? Let's be totally honest here. Most jobs in America do not promote, support or nurture creativity, ingenuity or productivity.

Well, a bad thing anyway.

Most trades do and the goal in America is to be entrepreneurial, start a business and grow. It takes all of the above to do very well but, with some of the above one can do well. Some are even ok without any of the above.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Repost
edit on 10-4-2014 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Repost

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

But the point is to work efficient hours, not long hours. Plus the longer you work, the less efficient you become. Which requires you to work even harder to make up for the mental fatigue. A six hour work day just might increase business productivity.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Visitor2012

But the point is to work efficient hours, not long hours. Plus the longer you work, the less efficient you become. Which requires you to work even harder to make up for the mental fatigue. A six hour work day just might increase business productivity.

I agree but, prefer that each person negotiate their own compensation. If labor must be measured by time at all that measurement must vary between individuals. After all, if an actual increase is achieved over the 8 hour day, they should be able to negotiate for higher cumulative income per day than before while spending less time.

The problem here is also that we are comparing apples to oranges. Public servants in no way resemble productive employees and if they did, I wouldn't want them to keep their jobs. The state is not supposed to wield power or seek profit for itself but, rather it should maintain stability with a minimum of interference to facilitate free trade.
edit on 10-4-2014 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   

I agree but, prefer that each person negotiate their own compensation. If labor must be measured by time at all that measurement must vary between individuals. After all, if an actual increase is achieved over the 8 hour day, they should be able to negotiate for higher cumulative income per day than before while spending less time.

Some Sub-contractors negotiate their rates and get paid per result or product. If they do more, then it's more money for them and the client. I definitely like that sort of 50/50 business relationship. As opposed to the master boss / slave employee model.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join