It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas prices up,?????

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   
If the US has become almost energy independent, and according to some sources we are now a major exporter of oil
Why do we not open the 700 million barrel reserves us, cycle them through the fuel network and provide some relief

I will say it again because no one remembers
In the beginning of the economic collapse, fuel prices were here localy (Oregon) $4.50
after the reserves were opened the prices plummeted to $2.00
Now the prices are getting real close to that $4.50 mark

What do you think will happen?

Once again minimum wage persons won't be able to get to work....won't be able to pay rent
Self employed people will have to increase prices to cover fuel charges
Trucking companies will have to raise prices to compete...
Or, everyone absorbes the fuel $ hit to stay competitive...and lower wages to keep their customers

bad bad...bad bad bad for everyone

Oh and to the people in the other countries that say "well, you should try paying what we pay"
Its all relative dudes how long your government been taxing you that high? You've adjusted over time...

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   
So if i was to pick a fight with someone and it forced the price of my gold/silver up then what stopping me.

Unless we can force the price of gas upto $1,000,000 then what tangible asset do we have to support $1000tr of credit default swaps.

Comon who wants a fight !

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by tsingtao

37 soo...??
Your point....!?!?!?

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 02:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: pauljs75
$5/gal still seems to be the setpoint for stalling a large segment of the U.S. economy. Most of the country outside of major cities is designed around long commutes, public transportation isn't so great even when it is available, and minimum wage doesn't really pay enough. When it costs people too much to go to work, places with low wages like Walmart and fast food will shut down when they start having no-shows. Either that or people just cut really really tight on their budget, and the end result is a good section of the economy shuts down. (People stop eating out, cancel cable, etc.) It almost happened once already, so it's no surprise when it's liable to happen again.

hate to ell you it is the same in Canada, with most people living long distance from where they work in the city. and in many cases "transit is not so great even when it is available", add to that in places where transit is available and in some cases pretty good, it is more expensive to take transit than to drive even with the high gas prices. minimum wage is also not enough, and costing people too much to go to work has not resulted on people not showing up and closing places like wal-mart, and fast food, or shutting down the economy.

nor has it had any of those effects in the Philippines where gas prices are close to what Canada pays, yet the people make MUCH, MUCH less than anyone in the US or Canada. where minimum wage is under $6.50 PER DAY (not per hour), and gas prices are about $5.21per gallon (almost a full days wage just for one gallon of gas). SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP. like i said before, it is those that pay the LEAST for gas in the world (USA), THAT DO THE MOST COMPLAINING at the "HIGH PRICE OF GAS", it makes me sick.

posted on Apr, 22 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I have a car just sitting there in case of an emergency, pretty much as a tool on standby which will not be used unless I absolutely need to use it.

I listen to people complaining about the price of gas nearly everywhere I go and they never really can come up with a way of remedying the situation without making excuses to not fix things.

Some people have to commute long distances to work but that was a choice for most people when fuel prices were lower, maybe wages were higher in a relative sense in the beginning, maybe there was too little consideration given to the potentials for change or alternatives to driving.

I see a lot of this as being contrived, like a mass transit system which is only marginally effective in most cities, non-existent outside of cities...Nothing like a captive market to those selling you stuff at whatever price they deem fair.

I see a lot of silly people with diabetes who would benefit from just riding their bicycle instead of sitting in their cars doing what amounts to nothing at all and complaining about controlling their glucose levels.

There is no fixing any of this as long as people equate being able to drive a car with all of the added expense and insurance to something like freedom.

FreeDumb.

I'll just ride my bicycle as soon as this whiskey hangover lets up, riding today didn't help it much.

Ugggghhh, gotta actually be nicer to myself on days off....

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnteBellum
reply to post by GreenMtnBoys

Someone made a thread the other day about how gas was on average $1.90 when Obama went into office. I couldn't believe it I had to check and they were right. Almost the entire year before was on average that price.

Seriously, have the prices been up so high, so long, that most of us don't complain anymore?
It seems to be a trend just like the TSA. At first everyone bitches, then later we all just stop and take it for granted!

I think that suck's.

S&F, AB
Gas was under $2 a gallon when Bush took office in 2001. Between 2004 and 2008 prices jumped up to $4 a gallon. After the stock market dropped 7000 points in 2008 gas fell for a short period down to $2 a gallon. Exon is the richest corporation in the world. We give them our tax money in subsidies. Obama has brought up cutting them off several times but congress won't even bring it up.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join