It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas prices up,?????

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Gas prices in SoCal up over $4 for regular. $4.17 today. Last month was $3.90's. not a peep about this in MSM? That's a big jump.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I'm afraid it's just the continuation of the fleecing of the people under the auspices of a non =controllable situation ie: cyclical climate change-not human induced even though contributed too.

Keeping us all arguing about gender, race, nationalism etc...all the while keeping us working, barely surviving, unable to achieve our individual dreams whilst keeping our families in bread.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenMtnBoys

Someone made a thread the other day about how gas was on average $1.90 when Obama went into office. I couldn't believe it I had to check and they were right. Almost the entire year before was on average that price.

Seriously, have the prices been up so high, so long, that most of us don't complain anymore?
It seems to be a trend just like the TSA. At first everyone bitches, then later we all just stop and take it for granted!

I think that suck's.

S&F, AB
edit on 4/9/2014 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Some speculators must have been reading about those 300 MPG cars and decided to up the bid price for gas because of fear of lowered consumption.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Why is it that nobody complains about the price of bottled water ?

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by 13th Zodiac

Because bottled water is luxury you don't need it to get from point A to B.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   

I"m in So. Ca. too. I heard on the news the price increase was due to the switch over to the summer blend. Pat answer, always the same.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Price of gas is unregulated, unlike popular belief...or what they would have you believe.

It isn't controlled by supply and demand. It's controlled by speculation and forecast. I have been reading for years now about how the supply is near an all time high and demand is low, but do we see the prices dropping? Of course not, far too many people believe that high gas prices are signs of a positive growing economy. Hmmm....sure didn't seem like that in the past.

I remember days when the prices didn't fluctuate for months. Now they change hourly.
What gives?

A complacent people.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   
For those paying over 4 bucks, am sorry about 3.5 here. The oil market is subject to a serious amount of speculators, good ole American Capitalism.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Related with Ukraine?

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by havok

Dont forget the Gubment likes their taxes, more we are charged the more they can piss away on stupid ARSE programs, grants, subsidies and un-needed minutia

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   

GreenMtnBoys

Water is a God given right! You can't live without it! Who gives the right of ownership of the water supply.Mind you if people are stupid enough to buy it and then complain about the price of petrol.Then the education system and society has failed. Maybe it is a Little to Deep for some to fathom what is being said in a simple one liner?

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Has anyone charted the cost of other goods vs the price of gold and silver lately? I have not for over a year. Up to that point, the same amount of gold/silver would buy approximately the same amount of gasoline or other goods (with some fluctuations) that it did decades ago. Of course there are some trends as industry changes and some things become cheaper to produce, etc, but primarily it is inflation that drives the cost of everything up.

Gold was confiscated and fiat currency given. Then it was removed from the gold standard. Then silver. Since that time, it is effectively not tied to real wealth at all and has undergone huge inflation. Certain people attempted to stop or reverse this. Some were killed, including a certain young president (not saying this was the only reason or even a major one, but it was likely a part of the equation).

GreenMtnBoys

One doesn't need gasoline either. Biofuels can be used for transportation and diesel generators. Diesels were designed to run on peanut oil if I recall correctly. Hemp is a great source of oils for fuel, foods, and fibers for other purposes. "Hemp For Victory"!

Edit: I've seen gas prices across several states lately and they seem to have dropped from what I've seen. That is only my personal experience though.
edit on 9-4-2014 by Hexadecimus because: adding gas price

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I don't even look anymore - it's never going to go back to 1.20 a gallon and it only serves to frustrate me. Have to have it so what can you do? I have a gas hog too but will look into these 300 mph cars. If those aren't available yet (or economically feasible when compared to fuel over the long haul), I'll be looking into a Honda. Had one for years and it was great on gas. Of course it was an older one that wanted to run forever so maybe they don't make them that good anymore. What to do...

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by havok

It isn't controlled by supply and demand. It's controlled by speculation and forecast.

Yup. And what's really interesting about it is that the oil producers themselves get involved with the speculation. They buy futures and if the price starts falling below their "bet" all they need do is cut back on supply.

Neat game.

edit on 4/9/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Yes, tracking the changes is informative but does not change anything unless one changes their investment habits. Without money to invest, I have not kept up with it either.

Not to derail the discussion from economics, but the 300 mpg is not really feasible unfortunately. It is a proof-of-concept. It would never pass crash ratings and is too expensive to make because no major auto maker is set up for carbon fiber as a primary component on a large scale. It is also ludicrously underpowered and slow, and impractically small for most peoples' taste.

I would still jump on it if I could, and I hope that this concept trickles down to something real even if it becomes diluted. Ultra light, CF, streamlined, tiny diesel engine, turbo as well if I recall correctly and regenerative braking. But there are several cars in Europe and Asia that can achieve 70+ mpg, far better than a Prius and they aren't even hybrids. The Lupo comes to mind. Most are not available in North America however.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   

13th Zodiac

Why is it that nobody complains about the price of bottled water ?

Because we are talking about the price of gas.

Now if you would like to start your very own thread.....

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Hexadecimus

They have some devises and you tube videos of how to make your vehicle get better gas mileage. Maybe trying one of those ideas would pan out. The one I looked into a couple of years ago seemed to good to be true (double or tripled mpg).

In the end our personal vehicles isn't as critical as the cost of food and pretty much everything else going up (unless people commute far). Imagine how truckers feel - filling up a tank and seeing the bill is 1,200.00. Independent truckers will be hurting for sure. Flights will increase again if the creeping upward continues. Everything will - likely why the bottled water spoken of in here is so much - have to truck it in and it's heavy.

Is this industry not regulated? Maybe not - because it's international. I've been told by some people I've spoken to who've worked at the oil fields in North Dakota that we are storing oil like crazy and have enough at this time to last about 100 years. Must be saving it as a bargaining thing.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

Must be saving it as a bargaining thing.

Supply and demand. Control supply and you control the price.
Works for De Beers with diamonds, too.

We're coming out of winter, demand for gas goes up because people are driving more. Price follows suit.

edit on 4/9/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   

The gas is still incredibly cheap compared to other advanced nations. I am paying 6,8 dollars per gallon and it is quite cheap compared to most other EU nations, where highest prices for gas are up to 10 dollars (Norway). The average of EU is somewhere around 8.

Although it has to be considered, that generally there is not much long-distance travelling done by cars, mostly inside the cities and in most nations the public transport system is very good. Round here for example, often public transport gets you faster from point A to point B, while it is free-of-charge, so at least unless I am travelling somewhere outside the city, I do not have the need to use a car at all.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join