It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sinkhole swallows home; mother and baby son escape in just five seconds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   
A 28 year old mother and her baby son just barely escaped from their home after a massive sinkhole collapsed swallowing half the house. It all happened in just five seconds.

A young mother grabbed her newborn baby and fled after her home just seconds before it vanished into a massive hole.
Anastasia Tatarnikov, 28, thought she was running from an earthquake, but according to emergency officials the massive sinkhole had appeared as a result of mining work in the city of Ridder in eastern Kazakhstan.
In total 120 homes have been listed as being at risk and 480 people have been evacuated.

Check out the source here to see the video

Mother and son escape sinking home

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Poor lady, she lost everything. She is fortunate to have survived (her kid too).

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
This situation is one of my top 5 fears. My husband thinks I'm paranoid, but obviously the fear is founded. Just imagine if it had happened while they slept.
Glad they're alright. Got lucky (as lucky as as anyone who just lost a home can be)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   

PutAQuarterIn
This situation is one of my top 5 fears. My husband thinks I'm paranoid, but obviously the fear is founded. Just imagine if it had happened while they slept.
Glad they're alright. Got lucky (as lucky as as anyone who just lost a home can be)

Yeah, pretty crazy to think you can be sitting there in your living room watching tv and the house starts to rumble, wall behind the tv collapses away and in just five seconds you have to grab your baby and get out the back door barely surviving. This young lady and her baby are both very lucky to be alive.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
That's scary. I'm glad they are alright!

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   
That is an alarming picture - it is literally gone. They need to relocate people - at the companies expense if they want to mine near their homes or mine in a way that will affect the safety of their homes and plan things more carefully. It doesn't look like bad ground - see some roots and maybe even some rocks in there so should be sturdy. Are they mining right under these people or what?

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Dianec
Are they mining right under these people or what?

Ust-Kamenogorsk. April 7 (Interfax-Kazakhstan) – Altyn-Tau Vostok LLP, part of Kazzinc, evacuated miners after a house collapsed down a mine shaft in the area of the Ridder Sokolny underground mining site in Ridder city, East-Kazakhstan region. No casualties have been reported. "480 miners have been evacuated. The mine operation has been suspended," the regional Department of Emergency said on Friday. A 110-meter deep sinkhole goes down to the 11th mine level. "The hole diameter has expanded to 55 meters. 120 houses in the vicinity of the sinkhole have been cordoned off and residents accommodated in an evacuation center in N7 school," according to the statement. East-Kazakhstan information center reports that the examination of the mine showed that the collapse was caused by the damaged overlying rock of the Bystrushinsk mine.
Nearly 500 miners evacuated...

It sounds like the homes were right over the mines to me. I cannot imagine living in place while knowing that sort of danger was underfoot. That was a quick thinking mother.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by NiteNGale2

So I assume this is one of those cases of you own the land but not the mineral rights. That is the dumbest law I've ever heard of but it's common where I live. If you're going to buy land make sure you get mineral rights. If your not buying (like this lady), make sure they can't blast underneith your house. I guess realtors and property managers have to add an entire new clause to their paperwork - just in case.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Surprising as these things even if on top of a mine shouldn't have collapsed.
Glad the lady and the baby survived

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   

That's the craziest thing I've ever heard. Mining underneath people's homes? Whoa. Here they are only a football field's length underneath her home and she's kicking back watching tv while this is going on below her. And, yes, what about mineral rights? Anything under her home should be hers.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Sheesh. Sink holes and landslide.
Is the "Gateway to hell" or "Door to hell" near here. Lots of natural gas site all over this area?
Thanks for posting.
Between this and your other thread. Oh and loud booms in Huntington beach California.
Perhaps Earth is going through geological changes. Something that's cyclical but far In between that had no chance of being recorded?

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by PutAQuarterIn

Same here; here one moment and buried alive the next.

It could only get worse if the sink-hole led to a chamber of zombies or a pool of sharks. Then again, even it led to a pile of money and naked beauties, it'd still be a bad day in anyone's life.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Nochzwei
Surprising as these things even if on top of a mine shouldn't have collapsed.
Glad the lady and the baby survived

I have to agree with you here... no matter how messed up it is that they are mining underneath her home, I would think it shouldn't have collapsed. Probably still was a land subsidence event like the many others I have been posting about. Like I've said in other sinkhole threads, many cities are blaming their sinkholes on infrastructure failures like water main breaks, but I believe it's the other way around...the sinkholes are to blame for their infrastructure failures due to geological earth changes taking place. Same could be the case here, mining will get the blame when it could have been a crustal rifting that is to blame.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Dianec

So I assume this is one of those cases of you own the land but not the mineral rights. That is the dumbest law I've ever heard of but it's common where I live. If you're going to buy land make sure you get mineral rights. If your not buying (like this lady), make sure they can't blast underneith your house. I guess realtors and property managers have to add an entire new clause to their paperwork - just in case.

I'm not going to assume anything about land ownership, especially in a foreign nation. But, I am going to assume that it was basic housing for the employees of the mining company. Nothing that I read made me assume that the young mother "owned" her property. My take was that the housing was provided by the company that owned and mined the land. No realtors, no property managers, no real consumer protection laws. Essentially it is a different world that doesn't offer the protection/security that you or I would expect.

That young mom though...

Wow. She intuited the risk and got her newborn to safety. Wow.

top topics

join