It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious rumbling along coast wasn't earthquake, experts say

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Hey everyone! Thanks for all the great comments and feedback on this. I have lived in SoCal for 7 years and have a two year old so anything potentially dangerous that cannot be explained really concerns me which is why I brought this to ATS once I realized this wasnt an earthquake. Again, let me be clear that I am not used to earthquakes but have felt a couple since I have lived hear and its hard to brush off the sound, feeling, etc for me. We just had a quake less than two weeks ago and that was very fresh in my mind when this event occured. My home is not very big and a mile from the water and we had all the windows and doors open to the house. There are alot of planes that come through this area bc the military base is here and several airports. When this occurred I very quickly did my normal "paranoid" thing lol and ran outside and naturally looked up. There was no craft associated with this and the buildup sound, shake and sound during the event was damn near identical to the quake we just experienced. I would love to think this was just a sonic boom from a craft but with no one in this area, which is very populated, to not see a craft really makes me wonder what this really was and its very concerning to me.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by tonycodes

With the exception of the B-1, everything in the white world that is supersonic (which is what you'll most commonly see) are fighters. That means they're going to be extremely difficult to see at any distance, even if you know about where to look.

I've had larger planes go overhead and never seen them. Without a visual reference to find them, seeing a plane after hearing it is a matter of luck more than anything.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

It's been a while since I've heard a real boom over civilian airspace. Used to hear them all the time

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

You hear them more when there's testing going on. There's not a lot of that going on now, not like in previous years.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 02:51 AM
link   
You're going to hear mine soon. Looks like this week. Dammit.

eta: I'll try to get you a tshirt. Furthest AAFES there is.

edit on 11-4-2014 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 03:24 AM
link   
OK well lets really make this visual for everyone then... here is a map of the area affected by the event and I marked off some of the places people reported the event and shaking... would anyone like to draw the likely path of this plane? or meteor or fireball? on this map so everyone can see how a sonic boom would pass through all of these areas.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Heck yeah, if they have them.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 03:35 AM
link   

bbracken677

McGinty
The Earth's probably like swiss cheese with underground caverns - many likely made by fracking and unstable, Maybe the ceiling gave way in a big one - any sink holes opened up in the vicinity?

That's just my guess and a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but who knows?

edit on 10-4-2014 by McGinty because: (no reason given)

I doubt they are fracking in LA

No arguments there

But who knows just how swiss the cheese is under there? Could fracking a hundred miles away butterfly wing its way to LA?

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Zaphod58
reply to post by Bedlam

Heck yeah, if they have them.

Might not be safe to wear it. what size are you? (geez I'm in trouble)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Check your messages.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 04:28 AM
link   

tonycodes
Heres my problem with this... can an aircraft make a sonic boom that would be felt from San Clemente to LA?? I mean it shook houses all the way down the coast lol that just doesnt make sense to me.

It shook my house so bad, I was bracing for the big one. Been in Cali for over 20 years, and never felt a sonic boom like that. Felt like an earthquake.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 04:38 AM
link   

i'll bet it's one of those sound weapons being flown around the country focusing the beam on selected areas maybe even selected people.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Visitor2012

Depending on the shape of the aircraft in question, it can leave a pretty substantial footprint. The Concorde had enough pressure when it went supersonic that there was a very real danger of damaging windows on the ground below it. It's one of the big reasons that supersonic flight over populated areas is limited so drastically.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 05:48 AM
link   
My guess is that the Earth's magnetic field is fluctuating, and these booming noises, which have been heard all over the world, are an artefact of the Earth's magnetic core which is currently slowing down due to the strain caused by the stretching of the magnetosphere. Meaning that it's not far away from flipping. I think you'll find that the places in which these booming noises are heard are where the magnetic forces intersect with the Earths crust.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   
How long did it last? I assume if people thought it was an earthquake, it wasn't that brief. But if it wasn't that brief, it couldn't have been a sonic boom....

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Zaphod, I may have never felt a sonic boom, and excuse me if you posted this already, but have you ever been in an earthquake? I really appreciate your input on the Concord as well, I always thought they should bring that bird back!

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by humanityrising

Well the build up sound and feel of this was just like an earthquake. It didnt last long, which is like a sonic boom id imagine, but the build up made all of us brace for a big quake that we were sure was going to happen next.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   

It's been a long long time since I've been through one.

As for Concorde, if they can work out the details there may be a replacement on the way that is potentially profitable.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Well here is the official word from the Navy. I guess it was just a single jet going over the speed of sound. I wish I knew more about the subject but I am assuming there were alot of people at the event where the jet flew and could verify this happened. So if someone goes mach speed in san diego, and they are facing north, they can send a powerful wave over 50+ miles to LA and feel like an earthquake. You learn something new everyday! Thanks everyone for commenting!

www.latimes.com...
edit on 11-4-2014 by tonycodes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Many years ago there were numerous reports of small earthquakes on the north side of Oahu. Just big enough to rattle windows and glasses. It turned out to be Hawaii Air National Guard F-4 Phantoms going supersonic about 100 miles offshore.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join