It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious rumbling along coast wasn't earthquake, experts say

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by carewemust

Lol good point. I guess they didn't specify exactly where the aircraft was in relation to the carrier. Could have been a mile, or 100 miles from the coast who knows.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   
The same thing happened here in Florida on the west coast about 7 years ago. The boom was felt from Sarasota to the panhandle and they blamed it on two F-18s flying into McDill AFB from the south. No way!!!

The boom was so big it shook my house like an earthquake to where i thought my sliding glass windows were coming out of their tracks. It was a lot lot louder and stronger than the space shuttle coming over us, something that I have experienced in every type of atmosphere but bad weather many times. The largest sonic boom from the shuttle was a cool day at sunset and it was nothing compared to this huge boom, not multiple booms like two F-18s would make and two planes flying into the base 35 miles south of me, coming in from the south of the base would not have people calling into see if we had a quake from Perry, Florida a hundred miles or more north of me.

If these two F-18s that were caught on video flying slow over Sarasota lol did land at McDill why were they even there? What were they shadowing, or trying to cover? Seeing that the Navy took the blame again I can only think that this is a new Navy space plane/bomber. It seems the Navy has completely taken over the space role in a very hush hush one to boot.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Being both a military brat and ex-military, I've been exposed to sonic booms all my life.

I can remember living in New Mexico and watching the windows rattle like they were going to shatter. We lived in a cinder block house, and the pictures on the walls would move (drove my mom up the wall).

I've felt/heard them outside, inside, and while driving. They can be quite a powerful thing.

How far can they travel? Miles and miles.

However, please note: the aircraft carrier is what was 50 miles away. They didn't say that the aircraft itself was 50 miles away, eh.

Jet aircraft can travel quite far from their carrier.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by tonycodes

Maybe it's all those underground bases being made...

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by tonycodes

It has been reported that it was a supersonic Navy flight.

I went to the link you gave and saw the update.

[Updated at 5:09 p.m. PST, April 9:

The rumbling appears to have actually been caused by a supersonic Navy flight.

The U.S. Navy confirmed an aircraft flew faster than the speed of sound as part of an exercise with the USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier about 50 miles off the coast this afternoon.

The sonic boom at around 1 p.m. was felt across a wide area, from Malibu to Orange County. Many assumed it was an earthquake, but Caltech seismologists said they did not record any earth movement.

www.latimes.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Patriotsrevenge

F-18s fly a lot lower than the space shuttle can. By the time the space shuttle reaches supersonic speeds and creates the sonic booms it is already miles high up in the atmosphere.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   
One of the many things I like about ATS is that many of the threads cause me to go and do research to learn more. Take this thread for instance. I knew that Sonic Booms are generated when an object breaks the sound barrier. But, I have no clue as to what forces are at work to actually cause the audible and physically-felt "BOOM!". So tonight, that will be my homework assignment before retiring. Thanks to the person who started this thread, I'll go to bed tonight with more knowledge than I had when this day started!
-cwm

p.s. Research done. Didn't know that the boom is actually a continuous pressure wave that accompanies the craft for as long as it's flying supersonic. I thought it occurred when the craft "broke" the sound barrier. Fascinating stuff here: en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 4/9/2014 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
From my limited experience the aircraft has to be fairly close to rattle a building.

But sound waves over water can do some funky things.

A few years ago at our cabin we were sitting around the fire pit listening to two fishermen talk out on the lake.

They were at least a half mile away but sounded like they were right next to us.

We tried responding but it must have been a one way deal.

Pretty interesting conversation too. Hope the guys wife didn't hear it.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Hmmmmmmm

lol about the conversation, but yeah, glad you pointed that out because I can testify to that to living up here in northern WI we have some very quiet nights on the lakes and you can hear every thing out there.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Question............if the plane is going at Hyper speed...say mach two or three....does that multiply the boom......

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Somewhat but not so much.
The altitude is more the governing factor. A slower lower aircraft can produce more amplitude than a higher faster aircraft.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Doodle19815
Also weird booms in Louisiana today.

www.kplctv.com...

*waves to Starwise*

Wow! I wonder what is going on then.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Sorry, guys. It was an interstellar craft doing a reentry over land. We try to pick places no one will notice but for some missions we just don't have time to wait.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 03:15 AM
link   

tonycodes

Mysterious rumbling along coast wasn't earthquake, experts say

Breaking - Large and Loud Event shakes Orange County CA - Not an earthquake!!

I live in Huntington Beach and whatever it was scared the heck out of us and shook the whole house. Would love to hear what ATS thinks it is bc it was not an earthquake. I have freinds in LA and as far south as San Clemente and they felt it too, which makes it even crazier that it wasnt an earthquake. I just cant think of a natural event capable of this besides and earthquake.
edit on 9-4-2014 by tonycodes because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-4-2014 by tonycodes because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/9/2014 by semperfortis because: exact headline

I felt it here in Newport Beach on the Balboa Peninsula, just a couple miles from where you are at in HB. Are you far inland or by the sand? I am only two houses inland by PCH and Balboa Blvd. It happened at 12:48 PM. There was a couple maids cleaning the house and I was about to doze off when I woke up as the house shook for 1 second. Ran over to the room where one of them was in and asked if she had felt it too and she thought it was pretty strong. Couple of other people I started text messaging that live in HB said it felt pretty strong too and shook their house as well. They live on 17th Street and Olive. I am sure you know where that is. Interesting that they say it wasn't an earthquake because I can predict the strong ones 1 minute before the shock shakes the building. The 2009 one that happened at 4:02 AM I woke up wide awake asked myself why I was wide awake looked around the room in the dark thinking I must have slept into the next night then grabbed my lock checked the time out, set it back down and the house started rumbling for a short couple of seconds. I realized that the earthquake was why I was so wide awake and then went right back to bed and knocked out in 1 minute since I had work the next day.

Is this similar to some of the recent rumblings that people have been hearing all over the country? Remember according to the book the Thiaoouba Prophecy that which destroyed Atlantis and Lemuria were the collapsing of the gaseous belts that ran underneath the continents mantle. No idea what the rumblings are if they aren't earthquakes. God forbid it but maybe California is about to drop off into the ocean once the big one hits and breaks a belt then we can start the Polar shift swiftly as William Cooper described in Behold a Pale Horse. God forbid it but if it happens I am not afraid of death because I know what I am and I was never born.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Wookiep
reply to post by Sremmos80

Sonic boom would make sense, but as the article states, only military aircraft would exceed the speed of sound. Military aircraft do not fly supersonic in civilian airspace (Orange County) however.
edit on 9-4-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

They're not SUPPOSED to but it does happen from time to time.. it happened over my house several years back and that's because the air force jets were being scrambled for what they thought was a potential threat.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I'm gonna go full conspiracy nut here and say that these are warning shot's from Russia's Space based energy weapons. Don't mess with Putin!

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
My wife called me from our home on the Palos Verdes peninsula which is north of L.A. harbor- she thought it was an earthquake. We used to get sonic booms whenever the space shuttle was landing at Edwards. She said it was stronger than that. I work about 15 miles inland and didn't hear anything.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
It was pretty humid and hot yesterday and that's why we had so much fog this morning, the ocean was calm and not choppy with very little wind. Maybe the Jet pilot wanted to see how low he could fly his F-22 Raptor right above the water and go Mach 2, obviously jostling a couple million people in the process and giving some people heart attacks. I wonder if someone did die from a sonic boom heart and it got investigated that the pilot did the menuaver if they could sue the Navy with a causal link timed to the article.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

LightningStrikesHere
What makes you speculate it's the X 37B ?

We know there's one in orbit, nearing the end of a long term classified mission. The thing comes in very fast (Mach 25), and needs a relatively long runway like the shuttles did. So it could come into Edwards or Vandenberg. Might create some pretty good booms.

No reason to think that the Navy training story isn't just a cover.

edit on 10-4-2014 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

stirling
Question............if the plane is going at Hyper speed...say mach two or three....does that multiply the boom......

No. The sonic boom is created by the sudden pressure change caused by air displacement because the aircraft is flying at supersonic speeds. The aircraft does have to travel faster than the speed of sound to cause the sonic boom, or booms heard on the ground.

A bigger, and longer aircraft, such as the space shuttle will cause a continuous onset of sonic booms because it spends a longer time travelling at supersonic speeds. However, because of it's mass and it's altitude the shuttle causes two distinct sonic booms. Which at much higher altitudes makes the sonic boom eventually dissipate, in relation to the observer on the ground of course.

edit on 10-4-2014 by ElectricUniverse because: add comments.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join