It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious rumbling along coast wasn't earthquake, experts say

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Ok here is my guess

The sonic boom was very large, was not EQ

The bigger the boom the bigger the aircraft

Russia suspects NASA to be working on new commercial supersonic airliner
www.flightglobal.com...

NASA join the race
www.dailymail.co.uk...

NASA testing and researching in California to test levels of acceptable sonic booms
www.nasa.gov...
edit on 9-4-2014 by TritonTaranis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by tonycodes

Or:

Meteor confirmed as cause of loud boom in Quebec, Ontario
Meteoroid that entered the Earth's atmosphere was likely no bigger than a basketball

www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/meteor-confirmed-as-cause-of-loud-boom-in-quebec-ontario-1.2441705

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   

TritonTaranis
Ok here my guess

The sonic boom was very large, was not EQ

The bigger the boom the bigger the aircraft

www.flightglobal.com...

Most likely NASA & Boeing

www.nasa.gov...

Maybe the paint is more to do with laminal flow texture in the Russian example, the different shades could be more just differences in texture in different parts of the aircraft.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   

clay2 baraka

Or:

Meteor confirmed as cause of loud boom in Quebec, Ontario
Meteoroid that entered the Earth's atmosphere was likely no bigger than a basketball

www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/meteor-confirmed-as-cause-of-loud-boom-in-quebec-ontario-1.2441705

So you are saying the boom in quebec and the one in OC are the same?

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   

They just updated their report...US Navy jet in exercise with carrier.
I am in Irvine, but indoors most today do did not here it
About one year ago, was kayaking in Dana Pt harbor during "LaPaz meteorite explosion and heard very boom and shock wave. We thought Camp Pendelton training but they had nothing going at all. Women screamed in the entering the harbor because the shock wave hit us from behind.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Wow 50 miles off the coast -

The U.S. Navy confirmed an aircraft flew faster than the speed of sound as part of an exercise with the USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier about 50 miles off the coast this afternoon.

www.latimes.com...

I guess they can be felt/heard from a very long distance!

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Sremmos80

No just showing an example. In daylight, you may not see the flash of the meteor.

It looks like someone just found the cause though (see above).

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

And pendlton and edwards would have known that when they gave their statements IMO.
I still don't buy that it was a planned exercise to go boom that close to land, think there is guy that is going to be hating life for a while

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Humidity affects the loudness, was it quite humid in that area at the time?

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   

woogleuk
reply to post by Wookiep

Yes it was humid and 90 degrees.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

The west coast is generally dry and not humid like the east coast.. With that said, I don't know what the humidity was like there today, I live in Colorado atm.

ETA- Poster above me answered

edit on 9-4-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I live in Pasadena. What time did this happen? I thought I felt the Ground shake about 7:30 this morning though and this time, my dogs barked.

I have no clue what it was...but I'm mad as hell my dogs and that noise woke me up this morning considering, I could have slept in 😝

ETA
So, I guess had I read the entire thread, I would have seen the cause stated by a previous poster to be a craft that broke the speed of sound.

I need those extra hours of sleep for brain power obviously 👉😜
edit on 4/9/14 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Granite

woogleuk
reply to post by Wookiep

Yes it was humid and 90 degrees.

The humidity was at around 36% in LA County today. Pretty high for us.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
This is an older article but very interesting. Mystery Boom: Rense.com

The sound rolls in off the ocean like an invisible tidal wave, washing over houses with enough force to rattle windows and startling people who look uneasily to the ground and to the sky for an explanation. Boom. Rattle. Rattle boom. And it is over as quickly as it began. The mysterious noises have been reported as far back as the 1850s.

I wonder if this is the same thing just on a different coast. It is mentioned somewhere in this post, that the sound went up and down the coast; I wonder if the coast is the key. It would be awesome to find someone who has experienced the sound on both coast to see if they are the same, or do hear or see recording of both.

There is no particular pattern, although in the past they have been reported most often in the fall and spring.

Spring seems to be a common time to the "booms" on the East Coast

He heard the sound and saw its impact in July while preparing his project. Doors and windows shook, but the house didn't, he said, indicating to him that the ground did not move.

Do you know if all objects moved or if it was like stated in the quote above?

The world is a very mysterious place indeed.
edit on 4/9/1414 by Martin75 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/9/1414 by Martin75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Yes!!! I felt it and heard it. Scared the crap out of me. My heart started pounding like crazy thinking a big earthquake was coming but it was so sudden and over so fast, I didn't even have time to realize what the hell was going on. Edit to add that I didn't actually hear -it-, I heard what it made the building do. The warehouse door in back shook violently so it made a lot of noise for about three seconds.
edit on 9-4-2014 by 2manyquestions because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Ok... it was a plane 50 miles out to sea. And it shook the greater LA to OC area another 30 miles inland. The shaking and sound felt and sounded like an earthquake. Why do we even use missiles? This seems like a little bit away from being quite an effective weapon to me........ if we had a bigger plane that can go that fast or 2 planes at the same time going that fast would the shaking be stronger?
edit on 9-4-2014 by tonycodes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   

clay2 baraka
reply to post by Sremmos80

No just showing an example. In daylight, you may not see the flash of the meteor.

It looks like someone just found the cause though (see above).

Someone found the cause if you buy that answer. I'm not buying it. I can't believe that a plane 50 miles off shore would create such a stir that people actually thought it was an earthquake. One witness said he never heard a boom, just felt his house rattling like it was one of the largest quakes he had felt.

I've noticed a trend of over the past three years of these loud boom reports...hours after the reports, the military steps forward and states they had a plane go super sonic. Maybe...maybe not.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

I agree. There has been an enormous increase in the number of fireballs/meteors caught by all-sky cameras in both the US and Japan over the last few years. Few come from the direction of the sun, but when they do they aren't usually noticed until the moment they hit...and, the larger ones usually will 'report' with a long, low rumbling sound with related ground shaking (sometimes due to electrophonic effects).

Also, there has been a massive increase in the amount of methane hydrates being released from the ocean lately. These hydrates exist even in mild climates, though usually at great depths, and they can be released by even small increases in temperature or slight earth movements. It doesn't take much to ignite a large release, either...

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   

tonycodes
Ok... it was a plane 50 miles out to sea. And it shook the greater LA to OC area another 30 miles inland. The shaking and sound felt and sounded like an earthquake. Why do we even use missiles? This seems like a little bit away from being quite an effective weapon to me........ if we had a bigger plane that can go that fast or 2 planes at the same time going that fast would the shaking be stronger?
edit on 9-4-2014 by tonycodes because: (no reason given)

I think fuel cost would come up and i think you need ideal flying conditions if you want to do it safely, but I could be wrong on both
Also missiles are far more pinpoint and compared to a sonic boom, much more discrete IMO

I also think the distance of where it was felt is going to be exaggerated. Some will say they felt it just to be part of the crowd as the initial reports come out

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

The article says that the carrier was 50 miles off the coast. Naturally, jets don't just fly in circles over the carrier like a buzzard during an exercise. That would be pretty lame, LOL. The offending aircraft was probably just a couple of miles off the coast heading towards, or away from the carrier when it generated the sonic boom, IMO.
-cwm

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join