It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious rumbling along coast wasn't earthquake, experts say

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Mysterious rumbling along coast wasn't earthquake, experts say

Breaking - Large and Loud Event shakes Orange County CA - Not an earthquake!!

I live in Huntington Beach and whatever it was scared the heck out of us and shook the whole house. Would love to hear what ATS thinks it is bc it was not an earthquake. I have freinds in LA and as far south as San Clemente and they felt it too, which makes it even crazier that it wasnt an earthquake. I just cant think of a natural event capable of this besides and earthquake.
edit on 9-4-2014 by tonycodes because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-4-2014 by tonycodes because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/9/2014 by semperfortis because: exact headline

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Sacramento checking inn , all clear here!

Interesting , if it was strong enough to shake houses then it might have registered as something yeah?

Another thought is that it could be a Sonic Boom?

Ill contact a buddy of mine in Coasta mesa and see if he knows anything

Peace

LSH
edit on 0246063042446th by LightningStrikesHere because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by tonycodes

Sonic Boom makes sense, remember the first time i was around one.
Shook the whole barracks, and the buildings surrounding.

And Im in North SD.. Right at the border of Riverside County
edit on thWed, 09 Apr 2014 18:23:35 -0500America/Chicago420143580 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

link   
Dbl post sorry
edit on 0236063042346th by LightningStrikesHere because: (no reason given)

link   
Not sure but the article you included says it's probably a sonic boom.

Any reason you think otherwise?

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Sremmos80

Sonic boom would make sense, but as the article states, only military aircraft would exceed the speed of sound. Military aircraft do not fly supersonic in civilian airspace (Orange County) however.
edit on 9-4-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   

I grew up in Huntington Beach and can say I never experienced what you are describing. Could it have been a sonic boom?

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Oh wow, I felt that! I'm so close to the military base that I always hear bombs and guns... I just assumed it was an especially large explosion. It did feel different than those usually do though. It was almost like it radiated from a specific spot (not in the direction of the firing ranges areas). Usually with the bombs I feel and hear them throughout the house, this one made me look in a specific direction and for a split second I wondered if something had actually exploded or collapsed on one side of my house.

Edited to add: I see a couple of people have mentioned sonic boom as a possibility... I truly do not believe that is what this was. I've experienced those before, this was not that in my opinion.

edit on 9-4-2014 by MojaveBurning because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-4-2014 by MojaveBurning because: I really do know how to spell and use grammar, I swear!

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
My guess would be it's an X-37B coming in for a landing:
www.universetoday.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by minusinfinity

It states that only military aircraft are allowed to break the sound barrier, and even then, not in civilian airspace......
That being said, if American pilots are anything like British pilots, they might not always follow that rule, the buggers do it often round here, it can be a brown trouser moment indeed.

+14 more 
posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Heres my problem with this... can an aircraft make a sonic boom that would be felt from San Clemente to LA?? I mean it shook houses all the way down the coast lol that just doesnt make sense to me.

+10 more 
posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   

A sonic boom isn't a single event, it continues with the craft as long as the aircraft is flying above the speed of sound....to the observer it will appear as a single event as the shockwave passes over them, but everybody under the aircrafts flight path will hear it.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Blue Shift
www.universetoday.com...

Best guess yet and totally possible but they would be 2 weeks early by there estimations.

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
They call them 'Seneca Gun booms' on the east coast by Cape Fear. They are mysterious booms that are not earthquakes or sonic booms. They are being heard all over the world but no one knows for sure what they are.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I've experienced sonic booms before over Tenerife I later found out they was US military jets flying to the ascension islands, it was like a thud in my chest like thunder, the ground or anything around me never moves or shook tho, I couldn't see any aircraft in the sky at all either, nothing but a clear blue sky, first of all I thought the volcano on the island awoke as it was a 100 year volcano and it was primed to go pop exactly when we was on holiday there, I looked strait at the volcano with the most horrified face lol

I'm struggling to believe this was a sonic boom tbh, this guy is reporting his computer monitor nearly toppling over, and going on to say he's been in big earth quakes before and this was BIG BIG, sonic booms are sonic booms but only because they're craft of similar mass

Nope deffo doesn't sound like a sonic boom to me... UNLESS it was a far far larger black project craft
edit on 9-4-2014 by TritonTaranis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Blue Shift
www.universetoday.com...

What makes you speculate it's the X 37B ?

link   

Wookiep
reply to post by Sremmos80

Sonic boom would make sense, but as the article states, only military aircraft would exceed the speed of sound. Military aircraft do not fly supersonic in civilian airspace (Orange County) however.
edit on 9-4-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

Meh some pilot got a lead foot so to speak and push it to fast. There are a number of bases out here, I bet some pilot is going to get a good ass chewing and some extra duties and working parties for a while.

Think topgun's maverick

link   
Also weird booms in Louisiana today.

www.kplctv.com...

*waves to Starwise*

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

OK thats very cool to know actually
but there was no plane that I can see and no aircraft reported. I mean wouldn't I be able to at least hear the aircraft if it made a sonic boom so big that shook my house like a small earthquake?

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   

batcrapcrazy

Blue Shift
www.universetoday.com...

Best guess yet and totally possible but they would be 2 weeks early by there estimations.

It wouldn't be that as it is similar to other aircraft in size

My understanding is the bigger the craft, the bigger the bubble, the louder the pop/boom

I'm going with a black world aircraft... A large black world aircraft

Possibly the SR-72 or other such large aircraft such as bombers, there is a new bomber to replace the B2 in the works also

Northrop says a "mannable" subsonic design could meet LRS requirements, while Lockheed favours supersonic and unmanned (Below)

But I'm thinking because of what witnesses reported it is possibly still larger

NASA is currently testing ways to reduce sonic booms and also testing to see which is acceptable IN California, Ohio, & Virginia, which is where some of these reports where made

Overcoming this sonic boom prohibition has kept engineers busy at the four NASA centers that conduct aeronautics research in California, Ohio and Virginia.

This rendering shows The Boeing Company's future supersonic advanced concept featuring two engines above the fuselage: NASA/Boeing, Since the maximum acceptable loudness of a sonic boom is not specifically defined under the current FAA regulation,

NASA and its aviation partners have been researching ways to identify a loudness level that is acceptable to both the FAA and the public, and to reduce the noise created by supersonic aircraft. Using cutting-edge testing that builds on previous supersonic research

NASA has been exploring “low-boom” aircraft designs, and other strategies that show promise for reducing sonic boom levels. Previous research by NASA, the military and the aircraft industry has determined that a variety of factors, from the shape and position of aircraft components to the propulsion system's characteristics, determine the make-up of a supersonic aircraft's sonic boom. Therefore, engineers are able to tune or “shape” a boom signature through design to minimize the loudness of the boom it produces in flight.

The most recent possible supersonic aircraft designs reflect what's needed to meet NASA's low-boom requirements. These requirements specify targets for boom loudness, aerodynamic efficiency, and airport noise for an N+2 —second generation beyond current technology — aircraft design that could be flying by the years 2020 through 2025.

edit on 9-4-2014 by TritonTaranis because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join