It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Jumps From Empire State Building

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Developing story, I am sure for many New Yorkers will bring back memories of a day not so long ago when some were either forced to burn to death or jump. Today from the Empire State Building a man jumped to his death from the 86th floor.

FoxNews.com

NEW YORK � An unidentified man jumped to his death on Friday from the 86th-floor observation deck at the Empire State Building, police said.

The apparent suicide at 10:20 a.m. forced police to briefly close the Manhattan landmark on Fifth Avenue to tourists.

The victim apparently climbed over a security fence that encloses the observation deck before leaping off. He hit a landing on the sixth floor, where he died instantly, police said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

"No identification was found on his body."

I will never understand what can motivate a person to be willing to jump to their death, when there seems to be no reason for it.

I do not feel as much for this unknown man as I do for the people who watched his final moments in horror and will now carry that memory forever.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   
so many people fighting for their life. Then you have this guy who justs gives up. What could possibly lead to that? How do you get to a point where there is no positive left and to kill yourself is the only solution?
Interesting...................

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I wonder if this person died in mid-flight or did he die when he hit

Just a morbid curiosity.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   
What about a small thought about others. Ok you've lost all hope to reach this point, sad, but what about the people on the ground. I wonder if thid person cared about who he might kill at the bottom.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   

How do you get to a point where there is no positive left and to kill yourself is the only solution?

To behonest I think unless you have felt so low that you really cant bare another day of living, you may not understand this mans reasons,

Not long ago stopped a friend from committing suicide,
She lost her little girl to a long term illness, she felt she had no more reason to live she had debts coming out of her ears due to the cost of traveling to and from a hospital...luckily she lived and is now getting support from all around her,

My point here is that who knows what this man has been through,
I myself would not take my own life, and have been lucky enough not to feel that sad and lonely.

But some do! And people cope in different ways...

I pray for the people, who he has left behind,

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   
This is very sad. I know people that have felt they had no reason left to stay alive. To anyone reading this post please remember there are people out there that would find your death extremely hard to live with. When such awfull thought crosses your mind, think about the faces of those who love you being told of your death. Also put your feet in the shoes of someone that you love, and see how you'd feel if they were gone.
Then drop to your knees and pray!!!

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I wonder if this person died in mid-flight or did he die when he hit

Just a morbid curiosity.

Yeah, think of your heartrate expereincing a fall like that I thin the body goes into shock and a heart attack ends the person's life if there is enough realization during the fall that death is imminent....just a thought

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 08:51 PM
link   
been there.done that.

maybe I should have said that I was close to that point when i originally posted. My life has not been full of rainbows. But I always found something positive to keep me going. Just as your friend did. I understand the point where you think there is nothing left. And at that point life or death is your only 2 options. I guess I was saying that it was sad that he didn't have something/someone to make him choose life.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   
An article from the New York Post which sheds a bit more light on what happened, although it does little to explain why this man jumped or who he was.

New York Post Full Article

Police said the man, about 30 years old, dressed in black clothing and wearing a cap, made a mad dash across the crowded open-air observatory and vaulted over a 10-foot-high fence on the north side of the building.

He plunged 80 stories to a sixth-floor ledge shortly after 10:15 a.m.

"A guard tried to grab him but it was too late," said one cop at the scene.

The man left no note and said nothing before jumping, police said.

The entire chilling incident was captured on video by the building's security cameras.

The NYPD is reviewing the tape for clues to the man's identity.

Thierry Banege, 40, of Paris, was among dozens of visitors on the observation deck at the time.

"I heard everybody screaming and I turned around and I saw the shadow going down," said Banege.

"It was very quick, just a few seconds. Everyone was crying."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

From those who seen this happen:

Keith Whatley, 35, a real-estate agent from Atlanta, was waiting to visit the observation deck and standing on line on 34th Street when people on the sidewalk scattered suddenly.

"When I looked up, the man was on his back, like he was sleeping, kind of tumbling. There was no sound for maybe eight to 10 seconds, then there was a big bang," he said. "I was mesmerized, absolutely."

"I just tried to get out of the way," added Whatley's wife, Tammy, 39.

I guess no one will ever really know why this unknown person jumped.

Maybe they can find out who he was and get some kind of reason for this.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Suicide has few faces,..

one is to show somebody or some people ...

"Look what you made me do!"

dh

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
On the uplist perhaps
What could give greater heart to the Powers than the re-inactment of the 'Thities mythology and the results of the WTC holograms than plummeting bodies
This is all set up for another re-run, is it not?
Rather like the headless corpses image.....

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Last feb a man jumped off the empire state building right after filling out a job application form!!!

Apparantly there has only been 38 deaths via jumping off the esb...
source: oakland press in michigan

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Probably just another John Kerry voter. I'm sure a note will show up soon, detailing how Bush "stole" the election, and how bad his "therapy" was going.

[edit on 27-11-2004 by Carseller4]

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   
While this is sad, is anyone else wondering if he was trying to top the guy that killed hisself at Ground Zero because Kerry lost?

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by gop627
While this is sad, is anyone else wondering if he was trying to top the guy that killed hisself at Ground Zero because Kerry lost?

Man I just beat you by a minute. Can we be the only ones thinking this?

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   
For some reason, I doubt it...

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   
As has already been mentioned, that seems like a very selfish way to take your own life. There are many ways to do it without harming others, both physically and mentally. I dont know how big he was, but from the 86th floor he would most definitely kill anyone he landed on. That's not to mention the mental scars that you could leave with eyewitnesses, and I'm sure there were plenty being in the middle of Manhattan.

I think it's senseless and sometimes cowardly, but if that's your decision at least dont take anyone with you. There was an incident in my local area where a man decided he wanted to take his own life and drove into a McDonalds at 100 mph. He killed three women working inside, all mothers, and he survived and is out on bail right now. I dont know how this guy can live with himself. He thought it was bad before?

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   
At least he didn't open up fire then shoot himself like those selfish school shooting bastards usually do. If you are going to go on a rampage, then do it at home in your closet, don't take out innocents, and let the court systems deal with the guilty. I've never been able to understand how anyone could take the life of someone else, because as far as we KNOW (key word here) we only get one life to live and that's it...

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Probably just another John Kerry voter. I'm sure a note will show up soon, detailing how Bush "stole" the election, and how bad his "therapy" was going.

[edit on 27-11-2004 by Carseller4]

Because its funny to make fun of someone killing themselves. Bush did steal the election. That guy could have been your father or your brother, how would you feel then? Just remember Karma's a bitch.

top topics

join