It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Shoot and Kill Man for Watering Lawn

page: 14
<< 11  12  13   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Bedlam
diggindirt

In comments suggesting Zerby’s parents and son are akin to people looking for easy money, Parkin explained the appeal was necessary thus rejecting the notion the City should respect a federal jury’s decision to award the slain man’s family damages. "Sometimes these juries just get it wrong and when that happens usually the family of the deceased are looking to cash-in on their mistake. That is when we have to file an appeal to fix the error,"

Wait, wait, wait, wait. IANAL, but in American jurisprudence, the jury is NEVER wrong. You appeal based on mistakes made by the court. The jury's decision is inviolable and IS law, as far as the law goes. You don't appeal to get a different verdict because the jury came to a conclusion you didn't care for.

If we're going to start challenging a jury's decision based on we didn't like it, I vote we get to prosecute the prosecutor for refusing to bring charges or for failure to aggressively prosecute cases against cops, just because we don't like the decision or lack of one.
edit on 10-4-2014 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who caught that!
This fellow is actually running for the office he holds as a result of an appointment. I'm fairly sure that by now the case would be in the Court of Appeals and I can find no listing for it in their docket. I suspect someone, probably someone in the Attorney General's office took him aside and explained the consequences of his comment. He's a attorney so one of two things happened there: He lied through his teeth, knowing that he had no grounds for appeal, or he's dumber than Aunt Helen's cow and not deserving of the office he presently holds.
It really looks from the articles I read, that the whole local government there is full of weasels, foxes and pigs.
I hope this man's family have been paid their award. May God bless them.
These slimy officials deserve to be tarred and feathered and ridden out of town on a rail---in the nicest possible 21st century way, of course.

new topics

<< 11  12  13   >>

join