It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LAPD cops caught disabling recording equipment in police cars.

page: 1

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   

LAPD officers tampered with in-car recording equipment, records show.

Los Angeles police officers tampered with voice recording equipment in dozens of patrol cars in an effort to avoid being monitored while on duty, according to records and interviews.

LAPD Chief Charlie Beck and other top officials learned of the problem last summer but chose not to investigate which officers were responsible.

They "chose not to investigate". Thats interesting. I wonder what would have happened if they had discovered that citizens were "tampering" with police equipment? Think they'd just let it go and move on?

The cameras, which turn on automatically whenever an officer activates the car's emergency lights and sirens or can be activated manually, are used to record traffic stops and other encounters that occur in front of the vehicle. Officers also wear small transmitters on their belts that relay their voices back to the antennas in the patrol car.

They focus on the audio equipment but also mention the cameras. I wonder if some of the actual cameras weren't also vandalized.

Most of the antennas were removed from cars in the Southeast Division, which covers Watts, Jordan Downs and Nickerson Gardens, where relations between police and minority communities have historically been marred by mistrust and claims of officer abuse. The in-car video cameras have been touted as a powerful deterrent to police misconduct and a tool for defending officers against false accusations.

What a coincidence...

A federal judge last year formally ended more than a decade of close monitoring of the LAPD by the U.S. Department of Justice. The judge agreed to lift the oversight, in part, after city and police leaders made assurances that the LAPD had adequate safeguards, such as the cameras, in place to monitor itself.

Looks like they ended the monitoring a bit too soon.

Last month, the department conducted a follow-up audit and found that dozens of the transmitters worn by officers in Southeast Division were missing or damaged.

So after they discovered the problem, repaired the equipment and chose not to investigate, the cops went right back to vandalizing the cameras...

What a shock.

They (not just cops but government in general) monitor everything we do as private citizens. Yet as public servants, they dont want to be subjected to the same treatment.

LAPD Arrest Man for Taking Photos from Behind Fence, Claiming he Interfered with Investigation.

edit on 9-4-2014 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

I bet this has to do with criminal cops double dealing. Inner city people many times know who the "dirty" cops are in the city. I would bet dollars to donuts that is the real truth.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

This will probably invalidate hundreds if not thousands of tickets, many criminal convictions, put any number of policeman on the streets or behind bars, and give another black eye (maybe in the 3rd eye this time) to the LAPD.

"Just the facts, ma'am. Dangling wires? Unexplainable equipment problems, ma'am."

edit on 9-4-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-4-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Abuse and corruption. It's the name of the game these days. How do you change a system so mired by corruption that every avenue you pursue is impeded by more corruption?

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

This should be a PRISONABLE OFFENCE, with them LOSING THEIR JOB, NEVER TO BE HIRED into a POSITION OF TRUST EVER AGAIN and PUBLICALLY SHAMED.

Bring back the stocks for public humiliation I say

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Complete LACK of Honor and Integrity by the LAPD, what a shock.

Badges ARE ----> R E D C O A T S

how can people (used term very loosely) be entrusted with ANY AUTHORITY or TRUST, in ANY dealings if this is how they act?

DETESTABLE beyond compare.

words from the great one,

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

You change the game. There is no way to reform the current game.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I find it odd that LEOs who are probably conservative republicans and think everyone should take personal responsibly for their actions, disable the equipment that records their actions against the people that pay their salary.

A Culture of corruption and lies is the reason people have no respect for those in authority.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
shame about those few bad apples.....

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

olaru12
I find it odd that LEOs who are probably conservative republicans and think everyone should take personal responsibly for their actions, disable the equipment that records their actions against the people that pay their salary.

A Culture of corruption and lies is the reason people have no respect for those in authority.

Cute. But they're authoritarian statists. Party affiliation doesnt matter to them. If they were as you say "conservative republicans" they wouldnt be enforcing half the laws on the books and if they were "liberal democrats" they wouldnt be enforcing the other half.

Since they happily smash anyones face they please we can safely say they are simply authoritarian statists.

Like this wonderful CT cop who balked at the suggestion that he would round up Jews for the ghettos and then proceeded to qualify his statement with "but if it was the law I'd enforce it."

He literally said "Now you are being silly...but if its the law, I enforce it; I don't make them."
linky

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

I'm shocked I say, shocked...

...and in a surprise move, nothing substantive will come of this revelation.

We simply don't possess the will or the guts to do anything more than hand-waving and making sacrificial lambs of those that possessed the stupidity and/or bad luck to get themselves caught. I mean, they were isolated incidents, right?

And so, we get not what we deserve...but what we allow and invite due to our apathy, laziness and lack of spine...

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Krazysh0t
Abuse and corruption. It's the name of the game these days. How do you change a system so mired by corruption that every avenue you pursue is impeded by more corruption?

By getting out there and voting your way to justice!

Just kidding of course. The solution you're looking for is expertly orchestrated vigilantism.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

RoScoLaz

A shame there are only a few good apples.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

RoScoLaz

It isn't just a few. There was a time when police officers were respected, had honor and integrity. Today...some of these men who are police officers should not be!!!!!! It is unacceptable and an outrage the things some police men are doing these days. They take no pride in their positions.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Incredible, let's audit they're past movements and correlate with unsolved crimes.

I had a thought that, perhaps, a jury duty model of civic police duty might be a possible solution. Random, temporary duty would deter abuse.
edit on 9-4-2014 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
We can't use our own cameras to record them. (Because when we do we know it isn't the law they are enforcing.)

When we make it mandatory for officers to wear cameras they disable them.... (Because they want to continue their lifestyle of pushing people around.)

After all camera's seem to be that 50/50 argument. We hate the red light cams but want them on our officers (Only because we want to be left the # alone when it comes to non officials. Sometimes red lights stay red without ever turning due to technological failure.)

Hopefully in the future we won't have just 1 agency behind security and law enforcement... Deus Ex rings a bell. Imagine having to not only worry about cops... but another firm of them?

Only then will law enforcement actually care about bettering themselves at their job when "competition" enters.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   

I just saw this article LAPD Cops are Disabling Their Own Recorders. Not Just a Few Cops Either, Half of Them!
and was going to make a thread about it but saw yours here.

I mean, what else is there to say really? When one of the largest cities in the U.S. has this kind of bull# happening with the police, it's setting a precedent for cops all around the country.

Every-single-day we see more & more stories of police brutality, and acting as if they are above the law. However, anytime we try to defend ourselves we get tazed, arrested, shot, beaten, and/or killed. I think it's a bit ironic that these cops are not only trampling constitutional rights of civilians, but themselves as well.

For any police reading this that have ever engaged in such behavior, how would you like it if tomorrow you lost your job and became just another regular joe? You better not do something threatening like smoking in a public place, or trying to record an officer with your phone. It might be the last thing you do on this earth.

top topics

join